Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

      > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
      > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
      > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
      > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
      > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
      > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
      > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
      > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
      > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

      a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

      .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
      gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
      gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
      then
      tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
      gives
      hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

      regards

      mick

    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
        > gives
        > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
        or rather
        tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

        and the .bz file I guess is
        bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

        mick

      • Harry van der Wolf
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi Chris,

          You should download the
          HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
          The other ones are not suitable for your.
          The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
          The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
          native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
          issue?
          10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
          when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
          MB.

          Harry

          2009/7/1 Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>

          > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
          > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
          > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
          > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
          > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
          > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
          > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
          > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
          > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

        • Chris Burck
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
            storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
            have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
            image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
            at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
            the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
            deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
            jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
            everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.