Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • Chris Burck
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
      downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
      which of the options do i want? there is a link for
      hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
      another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
      one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
      version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
      (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
      preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

        > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
        > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
        > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
        > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
        > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
        > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
        > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
        > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
        > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

        a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

        .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
        gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
        gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
        then
        tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
        gives
        hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

        regards

        mick

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
          > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
          > gives
          > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
          or rather
          tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

          and the .bz file I guess is
          bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

          mick

        • Harry van der Wolf
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi Chris,

            You should download the
            HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
            The other ones are not suitable for your.
            The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
            The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
            native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
            issue?
            10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
            when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
            MB.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
              storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
              have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
              image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
              at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
              the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
              deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
              jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
              everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.