Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • Chris Burck
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      harry, 0.6.1 does not seem to be available any longer? at least not
      at the link you gave me. does anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
      i did a web search, but so far any third party sites ultimately link
      bank to the hugin download page at sourceforge. :(
    • Chris Burck
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
        downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
        which of the options do i want? there is a link for
        hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
        another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
        one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
        version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
        (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
        preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
          Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

          > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
          > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
          > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
          > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
          > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
          > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
          > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
          > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
          > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

          a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

          .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
          gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
          gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
          then
          tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
          gives
          hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

          regards

          mick

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
            > gives
            > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
            or rather
            tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

            and the .bz file I guess is
            bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

            mick

          • Harry van der Wolf
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              Hi Chris,

              You should download the
              HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
              The other ones are not suitable for your.
              The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
              The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
              native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
              issue?
              10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
              when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
              MB.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
                storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
                have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
                image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
                at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
                the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
                deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
                jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
                everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.