Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • Lars O. Grobe
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi!

      Chris Burck wrote:
      > lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
      > 10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?

      The problem was just that I was stuck with an old release. And whenever
      I want to install open source software, I have to get the old releases
      from 2005, 2006, with unfixed bugs, not much support (as noone else is
      using it anymore) and the frustration of spending times with problems
      that have been solved a long time ago. I have been using Debian /PPC (I
      think it was Etch) on my old Powerbook 12" 867MHz until I replaced it
      with a Thinkpad last year. Linux on Mac is very nice except the one
      button mouse on Laptops, you even get Java fresh and up-to-date as IBM
      is supporting its Power-platform very well.

      So again I think either getting a Linux installation or making sure to
      always have the latest OS X is the way to go when using open source on a
      Mac.

      CU Lars.
    • Chris Burck
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        harry, 0.6.1 does not seem to be available any longer? at least not
        at the link you gave me. does anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
        i did a web search, but so far any third party sites ultimately link
        bank to the hugin download page at sourceforge. :(
      • Chris Burck
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
          ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
          downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
          which of the options do i want? there is a link for
          hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
          another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
          one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
          version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
          (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
          preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

            > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
            > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
            > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
            > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
            > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
            > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
            > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
            > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
            > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

            a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

            .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
            gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
            gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
            then
            tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
            gives
            hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

            regards

            mick

          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
              > gives
              > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
              or rather
              tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

              and the .bz file I guess is
              bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

              mick

            • Harry van der Wolf
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                Hi Chris,

                You should download the
                HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
                The other ones are not suitable for your.
                The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
                The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
                native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
                issue?
                10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
                when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
                MB.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
                  storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
                  have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
                  image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
                  at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
                  the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
                  deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
                  jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
                  everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.