Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • Chris Burck
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
      10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?
    • Lars O. Grobe
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi!

        Chris Burck wrote:
        > lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
        > 10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?

        The problem was just that I was stuck with an old release. And whenever
        I want to install open source software, I have to get the old releases
        from 2005, 2006, with unfixed bugs, not much support (as noone else is
        using it anymore) and the frustration of spending times with problems
        that have been solved a long time ago. I have been using Debian /PPC (I
        think it was Etch) on my old Powerbook 12" 867MHz until I replaced it
        with a Thinkpad last year. Linux on Mac is very nice except the one
        button mouse on Laptops, you even get Java fresh and up-to-date as IBM
        is supporting its Power-platform very well.

        So again I think either getting a Linux installation or making sure to
        always have the latest OS X is the way to go when using open source on a
        Mac.

        CU Lars.
      • Chris Burck
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
          harry, 0.6.1 does not seem to be available any longer? at least not
          at the link you gave me. does anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
          i did a web search, but so far any third party sites ultimately link
          bank to the hugin download page at sourceforge. :(
        • Chris Burck
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
            downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
            which of the options do i want? there is a link for
            hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
            another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
            one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
            version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
            (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
            preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

              > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
              > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
              > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
              > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
              > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
              > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
              > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
              > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
              > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

              a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

              .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
              gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
              gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
              then
              tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
              gives
              hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

              regards

              mick

            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                > gives
                > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
                or rather
                tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

                and the .bz file I guess is
                bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

                mick

              • Harry van der Wolf
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Hi Chris,

                  You should download the
                  HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
                  The other ones are not suitable for your.
                  The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
                  The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
                  native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
                  issue?
                  10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
                  when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
                  MB.

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                    thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
                    storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
                    have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
                    image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
                    at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
                    the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
                    deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
                    jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
                    everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.