Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • Lars O. Grobe
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi,

      I have been trying to use Hugin on a 10.3.9 system for a while... I
      think it is not a very promising path to go, as you will start with
      software releases (0.6) that are really old even now and will not get
      much fun out of the communities ressources referring to the new releases
      in the future. Hugin has been one of the reasons that I booted into
      Linux on my Mac (as other open source software, which is in general
      ported nicely to OS X, but requires you to have always the latest
      release of the OS installed).

      So my advice: either keep your OS X up-to-date, or add some Linux
      partition for having fun with open source on the Mac.

      Cheers, Lars.
    • Chris Burck
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
        lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
        10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?
      • Lars O. Grobe
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi!

          Chris Burck wrote:
          > lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
          > 10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?

          The problem was just that I was stuck with an old release. And whenever
          I want to install open source software, I have to get the old releases
          from 2005, 2006, with unfixed bugs, not much support (as noone else is
          using it anymore) and the frustration of spending times with problems
          that have been solved a long time ago. I have been using Debian /PPC (I
          think it was Etch) on my old Powerbook 12" 867MHz until I replaced it
          with a Thinkpad last year. Linux on Mac is very nice except the one
          button mouse on Laptops, you even get Java fresh and up-to-date as IBM
          is supporting its Power-platform very well.

          So again I think either getting a Linux installation or making sure to
          always have the latest OS X is the way to go when using open source on a
          Mac.

          CU Lars.
        • Chris Burck
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            harry, 0.6.1 does not seem to be available any longer? at least not
            at the link you gave me. does anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
            i did a web search, but so far any third party sites ultimately link
            bank to the hugin download page at sourceforge. :(
          • Chris Burck
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
              downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
              which of the options do i want? there is a link for
              hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
              another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
              one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
              version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
              (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
              preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

                > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
                > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
                > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
                > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
                > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
                > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
                > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
                > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
                > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

                a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

                .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
                gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
                gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                then
                tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                gives
                hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

                regards

                mick

              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                  > gives
                  > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
                  or rather
                  tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

                  and the .bz file I guess is
                  bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

                  mick

                • Harry van der Wolf
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Hi Chris,

                    You should download the
                    HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
                    The other ones are not suitable for your.
                    The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
                    The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
                    native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
                    issue?
                    10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
                    when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
                    MB.

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                      thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
                      storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
                      have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
                      image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
                      at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
                      the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
                      deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
                      jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
                      everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.