Re: Champs Elysées 365visit

  • Thomas Demolliens
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi Wim,

      Thanks for your input and for not emphasizing the bad points that have
      been mentioned and repeated a few times.
      I do agree with your opinion satisfying a client and satisfying your own
      standards are two different things. But as you probably know budgets are
      limited these days.. I won't say anymore, everybody will understand.
      In terms of equipment I have seen some good things but also some clear
      limits (junction 180/180 of the panos, people moving, setup time between
      each pano so there is no real continuity etc etc) and it is clear that I
      will do the next project with another set equipment (probably an
      electric wheelchair with a monopod on top of it and multi-camera
      solution).
      Now the viewer also have to be improved.
      I still do believe there is a very good potential in such immersive walk
      as it is different, not a "high class" standard virtual visit with
      limited number of shots, not google streetview with difficult
      navigation, not immersive video... somehow I would like to get the best
      of all them in my own product.
      So yes I will continue to develop the concept, both in terms of setup
      and viewing experience.

      Cheers,
      Thomas

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Thomas,
      >
      > Fist the bad part :-(
      > Others already said a lot about the poor quality of the production so
      I will
      > not repeat all issues but I have to say 1 thing about it.
      > Would you be happy if you where the customer, I mean you have your own
      > standards of quality and when you measure your own production are you
      then
      > really satisfied about it ? I wonder.
      >
      > Now the good part :-)
      > With an adapted method for shooting and processing your approach has
      > definitely a big potential, despite all critics I like it a lot.
      > BTW, I love Paris ;-)

      http://www.qtbridge.com/pleinpot/gallery_pleinpot/demo_2/Champs_Elysee.h\
      tml

      > Suggestion:
      > Before continuing I suggest that you fine tune your method but not
      with a
      > 1000 images over kilometers but with just a couple of dozens over 100
      meter
      > and then hopefully you can solve other issues f.e. what to do with the
      shade
      > of the equipment when shooting in bright daylight.
      > (I suspect that the images of your tour are shot on purpose on a
      cloudy day
      > to avoid this issue....)
      >
      > I like to see a follow up.
      > Success,
      >
      > Wim
      >

      > Thomas Demolliens wrote:
      > > ...Your opinion?..

    • Thomas Demolliens
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 3, 2009
        Thanks Jim for your interesting answer. I do not quite agree with the
        Google Streetview navigation, I find it quite messy, difficult to
        understand and not very intuitive. But it's true that there are many
        predictables nodes which is really a plus.