Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:
      oh, yeah, do you say hugin like plugin, "hugh_gin,"
      > hoogin, hoojin, or "huge_in?"

      I always thought it was like "love in"

      mick

    • Lars O. Grobe
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
        Hi,

        I have been trying to use Hugin on a 10.3.9 system for a while... I
        think it is not a very promising path to go, as you will start with
        software releases (0.6) that are really old even now and will not get
        much fun out of the communities ressources referring to the new releases
        in the future. Hugin has been one of the reasons that I booted into
        Linux on my Mac (as other open source software, which is in general
        ported nicely to OS X, but requires you to have always the latest
        release of the OS installed).

        So my advice: either keep your OS X up-to-date, or add some Linux
        partition for having fun with open source on the Mac.

        Cheers, Lars.
      • Chris Burck
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
          lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
          10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?
        • Lars O. Grobe
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi!

            Chris Burck wrote:
            > lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
            > 10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?

            The problem was just that I was stuck with an old release. And whenever
            I want to install open source software, I have to get the old releases
            from 2005, 2006, with unfixed bugs, not much support (as noone else is
            using it anymore) and the frustration of spending times with problems
            that have been solved a long time ago. I have been using Debian /PPC (I
            think it was Etch) on my old Powerbook 12" 867MHz until I replaced it
            with a Thinkpad last year. Linux on Mac is very nice except the one
            button mouse on Laptops, you even get Java fresh and up-to-date as IBM
            is supporting its Power-platform very well.

            So again I think either getting a Linux installation or making sure to
            always have the latest OS X is the way to go when using open source on a
            Mac.

            CU Lars.
          • Chris Burck
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              harry, 0.6.1 does not seem to be available any longer? at least not
              at the link you gave me. does anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
              i did a web search, but so far any third party sites ultimately link
              bank to the hugin download page at sourceforge. :(
            • Chris Burck
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
                downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
                which of the options do i want? there is a link for
                hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
                another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
                one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
                version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
                (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
                preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

                  > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
                  > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
                  > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
                  > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
                  > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
                  > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
                  > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
                  > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
                  > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

                  a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

                  .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
                  gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
                  gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                  then
                  tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                  gives
                  hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

                  regards

                  mick

                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                    > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                    > gives
                    > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
                    or rather
                    tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

                    and the .bz file I guess is
                    bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

                    mick

                  • Harry van der Wolf
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                      Hi Chris,

                      You should download the
                      HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
                      The other ones are not suitable for your.
                      The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
                      The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
                      native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
                      issue?
                      10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
                      when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
                      MB.

                      Harry

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                        thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
                        storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
                        have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
                        image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
                        at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
                        the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
                        deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
                        jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
                        everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.