Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • Harry van der Wolf
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      2009/6/30 Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>

      > harry, thanks for your help. a few clarifying questions. when you
      > say enblend, enfuse, etc. "come prepackaged inside the bundle," by
      > "the bundle" do you mean the hugin download? i.e. i download hugin
      > and i'm set, no other downloads necessary (unless i choose versions
      > 0.7 or newer, in which case i need the controlpoint thingy)?

      Yes, that's right. The 0.61, 0.7 and 0.8 builds are complete packages apart
      from the "controlpoint thingy". When you create panorama's, you start with
      your source images which have (should have) a certain overlap. In this
      overlapping areas you select equal points in image 1 and image 2, the so
      called control points. Hugin needs these to align the images. You can
      either add ControlPoints (CP's) by hand or you can use a "controlpoint
      thingy" that automatically does it for you. These "controlpoint thingies"
      are the plugins I mentioned.

      > also, do
      > i infer from what you said that there are plugins for hugin, i.e. that
      > enhance hugin itself, as opposed to plugins that add panotools/hugin
      > functionality to an editing program like photoshop? is there a
      > tutorial or primer that can enlighten me on these things?

      The MacOSX hugin version is the only one that uses this plugin structure and
      currently only for the control point generators. Hugin itself can't be used
      as a plugin to some other application.

      There are many good tutorials. You should check <
      http://hugin.sourceforge.net>. In the Tutorial section you'll find a couple
      of very useful tutorials.

      there
      > didn't seem to be anything like that in the files section. i can't
      > recall where i saw the 10.2 version, it's very possible that i
      > conflated a panotools download page with the hugin download page, and
      > just assumed what applied with the former, applied with the latter
      > (since the latter is based on the former iirc). so much for
      > assumptions. oh, yeah, do you say hugin like plugin, "hugh_gin,"
      > hoogin, hoojin, or "huge_in?"

      Hugin comes from the name of one of Odin's raven. If you are not familiar
      with Norse mythology you might take a look at <
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huginn_and_Muninn>. In the early days munin was
      a parallel project.
      English is not my native language, but hugin is pronounced like in "huggin'
      and kissin' " (and no: kissin is not Odin's other raven).

      Harry

    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
        Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:
        oh, yeah, do you say hugin like plugin, "hugh_gin,"
        > hoogin, hoojin, or "huge_in?"

        I always thought it was like "love in"

        mick

      • Lars O. Grobe
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
          Hi,

          I have been trying to use Hugin on a 10.3.9 system for a while... I
          think it is not a very promising path to go, as you will start with
          software releases (0.6) that are really old even now and will not get
          much fun out of the communities ressources referring to the new releases
          in the future. Hugin has been one of the reasons that I booted into
          Linux on my Mac (as other open source software, which is in general
          ported nicely to OS X, but requires you to have always the latest
          release of the OS installed).

          So my advice: either keep your OS X up-to-date, or add some Linux
          partition for having fun with open source on the Mac.

          Cheers, Lars.
        • Chris Burck
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
            lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
            10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?
          • Lars O. Grobe
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
              Hi!

              Chris Burck wrote:
              > lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
              > 10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?

              The problem was just that I was stuck with an old release. And whenever
              I want to install open source software, I have to get the old releases
              from 2005, 2006, with unfixed bugs, not much support (as noone else is
              using it anymore) and the frustration of spending times with problems
              that have been solved a long time ago. I have been using Debian /PPC (I
              think it was Etch) on my old Powerbook 12" 867MHz until I replaced it
              with a Thinkpad last year. Linux on Mac is very nice except the one
              button mouse on Laptops, you even get Java fresh and up-to-date as IBM
              is supporting its Power-platform very well.

              So again I think either getting a Linux installation or making sure to
              always have the latest OS X is the way to go when using open source on a
              Mac.

              CU Lars.
            • Chris Burck
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                harry, 0.6.1 does not seem to be available any longer? at least not
                at the link you gave me. does anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
                i did a web search, but so far any third party sites ultimately link
                bank to the hugin download page at sourceforge. :(
              • Chris Burck
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
                  downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
                  which of the options do i want? there is a link for
                  hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
                  another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
                  one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
                  version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
                  (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
                  preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

                    > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
                    > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
                    > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
                    > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
                    > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
                    > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
                    > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
                    > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
                    > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

                    a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

                    .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
                    gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
                    gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                    then
                    tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                    gives
                    hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

                    regards

                    mick

                  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                      > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                      > gives
                      > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
                      or rather
                      tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

                      and the .bz file I guess is
                      bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

                      mick

                    • Harry van der Wolf
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Hi Chris,

                        You should download the
                        HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
                        The other ones are not suitable for your.
                        The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
                        The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
                        native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
                        issue?
                        10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
                        when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
                        MB.

                        Harry

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                          thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
                          storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
                          have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
                          image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
                          at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
                          the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
                          deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
                          jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
                          everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.