Re: [PanoToolsNG] Elevated pano help

  • Eduardo Hutter
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
      You could use a light stand, something like http://tinyurl.com/n9o43f

      * Robert Slade wrote, On 30/06/2009 4:38 PM:
      (...)

      > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would
      > the pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow
      > shutter speed?
      >
      > A cherry picker would have a guard rail which would interfere with
      > the image.
      >
      > A scaffold platform at that height would be too dangerous to stand on
      > without any safety rails.
      >
      > I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
        You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move the cherry
        picker around your nadir.

        I've done this with a fork lift to success.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

        404-551-4275

        I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
        assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
        assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
        at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
        above the ground.

        I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
        pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

        A cherry picker would have a guard rail which would interfere with the
        image.

        A scaffold platform at that height would be too dangerous to stand on
        without any safety rails.

        I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

        Regards,
        Robert

        --
        Robert Slade, Photographer
        Manor Photography 07890 564889

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
          Quoting Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...>:

          > You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move the cherry
          > picker around your nadir.
          >
          > I've done this with a fork lift to success.

          Why am I thinking of Ripley ?

          mick

        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
            Some ideas :

            here from a Cherry Picker kind of platform
            http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/

            or from a Cam boom
            http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Photokina/Cambo

            or simply a monopod tripod combo
            http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Bremen/MarktLichtshow3/

            Willy Kaemena

            http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
            http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
            http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
            http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
            http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

            On Jun 30, 2009, at 22:54, Sacha Griffin wrote:

            > You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move
            > the cherry
            > picker around your nadir.
            >
            > I've done this with a fork lift to success.
            >
            > Sacha Griffin
            >
            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            >
            > http://www.southern-digital.com
            >
            > http://www.seeit360.net
            >
            > GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
            >
            > 404-551-4275

          • Roger Berry
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
              Try something like this Impact Heavy Duty Light Stand.
              Here's the link showing it a B&H Photo.
              http://tinyurl.com/stand22

              You could also rent one that's bigger and stronger if needed.

              The clamp on the lowest section I would leave loose and clamp a clamp above it after extending the tube, this way it would be free to rotate with your camera on top.

              Roger Berry
              http://IndiaVRtours.com

              > On Jun 30, 2009, at 22:54, Sacha Griffin wrote:
              >

              > > You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move
              > > the cherry
              > > picker around your nadir.
              > >
              > > I've done this with a fork lift to success.
              > >
              > > Sacha Griffin
              > >
              > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
              > >
              > > http://www.southern-digital.com
              > >
              > > http://www.seeit360.net
              > >
              > > GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
              > >
              > > 404-551-4275

            • Robert Slade
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 1, 2009
                Hi Willy,

                Thanks for the links - stunning panoramics!

                I've made a 3m pole from a lighting stand and centre column tripod.
                Haven't tried it yet, but will give it a test run today.

                I am curious about the cherry picker platform. How did you rotatate
                about the NPP? Did you move the camera, or the cherry picker?

                Best wishes,
                Robert

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                  stand and a centre column tripod. It has a very stable base with the
                  tripod legs spread, but the top sways around a lot and takes a long time
                  (minutes) to settle down.

                  It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                  more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

                  Many thanks,
                  Robert
                  --

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Robert when you are a bit away from near objects the NPP is of no big
                    issue anymore:

                    here some examples:

                    at least about 15m off NPP http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm/
                    see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

                    and the cherry picker was about 1.5m off NPP
                    > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/

                    Making some shots from the guard-rail around the platform.

                    or here http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Berkeley2007/Campanile/
                    and the corresponding platform
                    http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Berkeley2007/Campanile3/

                    So don't worry about NPP when in heights . This is also valid from
                    a 3 m pole a little bit swaying makes no big difference.

                    Willy Kaemena

                    On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:57, Robert Slade wrote:

                    > Hi Willy,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the links - stunning panoramics!
                    >
                    > I've made a 3m pole from a lighting stand and centre column tripod.
                    > Haven't tried it yet, but will give it a test run today.
                    >
                    > I am curious about the cherry picker platform. How did you rotatate
                    > about the NPP? Did you move the camera, or the cherry picker?
                    >
                    > Best wishes,
                    > Robert
                    > --
                    >
                    > Willy Kaemena wrote:
                    > > Some ideas :
                    > >
                    > > here from a Cherry Picker kind of platform
                    > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/
                    > >
                    > > or from a Cam boom
                    > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Photokina/Cambo
                    > >
                    > > or simply a monopod tripod combo
                    > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Bremen/MarktLichtshow3/
                    > >
                    > > Willy Kaemena
                    > >
                    > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
                    > > http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
                    > > http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
                    > > http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
                    > > http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
                    > > http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal
                    > >

                    > > On Jun 30, 2009, at 22:54, Sacha Griffin wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move
                    > >> the cherry
                    > >> picker around your nadir.
                    > >>
                    > >> I've done this with a fork lift to success.
                    > >>
                    > >> Sacha Griffin
                    > >>
                    > >> Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                    > >>
                    > >> http://www.southern-digital.com
                    > >>
                    > >> http://www.seeit360.net
                    > >>
                    > >> GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
                    > >>
                    > >> 404-551-4275

                    (0049) 0177 327 2935

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                      Thanks Willy - I did wonder about the importance of NPP position further
                      away, the parallax error decreasing with distance. But I've never shot a
                      pano under these conditions before.

                      That's an amazing pano of the Olympic Park - taken from a helicopter?

                      Regards,
                      Rob

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                        noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                          Willy Kaemena wrote:

                          > noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

                          Hi Willy - sorry, didn't make the connection between the two links
                          initially.

                          That must be you in the platform pano? What big hands you have! ;-)

                          Regards,
                          Rob
                          --

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                            transplanted hands..,..

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                              > Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                              > stand and a centre column tripod.

                              Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?

                              > It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                              > more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

                              Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
                              which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
                              hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
                              indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
                              holes on his floor. :)

                              http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

                            • Pat Swovelin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                                On 7/2/2009 7:20 AM, Eduardo Hutter's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                and typed ...:
                                >> Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                                >> stand and a centre column tripod.
                                >
                                > Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?
                                >
                                >> It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                                >> more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?
                                >
                                > Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
                                > which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
                                > hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
                                > indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
                                > holes on his floor. :)

                                Use shot bags or small sand bags (shot bags are better on a weight to
                                volume basis).

                                > http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

                                Pat Swovelin
                                Cool Guy @ Large
                              • AYRTON
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                                  On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Robert Slade
                                  <robert@...>wrote:

                                  > Hello,
                                  > I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
                                  > assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
                                  > assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
                                  > at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
                                  > above the ground.
                                  > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
                                  > pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

                                  I did this one at 7.5 meters high
                                  It's a light stand that I adapt a home made pole solution :-)
                                  light was very low.

                                  <http://digg.com/u17FTp>

                                  best
                                  AYRTON

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                                    Thanks Eduardo, my stand is very similar to the Manfrotto 7.3m version
                                    except it is only 3m in maximum height. This is enough for my application.

                                    It wasn't very steady at maximum elevation, so I dismantled the lower
                                    column and inserted it into a Manfrotto centre column tripod. Now it has
                                    three very stable legs (about 5ft high when spread) and another (approx)
                                    2.5m above this.

                                    Since it's a one off job, and indoors, I will probably just wait for the
                                    swaying motion to die down before releasing the shutter (using Canon
                                    LC-4 remote control).

                                    Regards,
                                    Rob