Re: [PanoToolsNG] Elevated pano help

  • Eduardo Hutter
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
      You could use a light stand, something like http://tinyurl.com/n9o43f

      * Robert Slade wrote, On 30/06/2009 4:38 PM:
      (...)

      > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would
      > the pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow
      > shutter speed?
      >
      > A cherry picker would have a guard rail which would interfere with
      > the image.
      >
      > A scaffold platform at that height would be too dangerous to stand on
      > without any safety rails.
      >
      > I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
    • Robert Slade
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
        Hello,

        I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
        assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
        assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
        at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
        above the ground.

        I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
        pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

        A cherry picker would have a guard rail which would interfere with the
        image.

        A scaffold platform at that height would be too dangerous to stand on
        without any safety rails.

        I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

        Regards,
        Robert

        --
        Robert Slade, Photographer
        Manor Photography 07890 564889
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
          You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move the cherry
          picker around your nadir.

          I've done this with a fork lift to success.

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net

          GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

          404-551-4275

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
            Quoting Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...>:

            > You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move the cherry
            > picker around your nadir.
            >
            > I've done this with a fork lift to success.

            Why am I thinking of Ripley ?

            mick

          • Willy Kaemena
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
              Some ideas :

              here from a Cherry Picker kind of platform
              http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/

              or from a Cam boom
              http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Photokina/Cambo

              or simply a monopod tripod combo
              http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Bremen/MarktLichtshow3/

              Willy Kaemena

              http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
              http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
              http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
              http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
              http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

              On Jun 30, 2009, at 22:54, Sacha Griffin wrote:

              > You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move
              > the cherry
              > picker around your nadir.
              >
              > I've done this with a fork lift to success.
              >
              > Sacha Griffin
              >
              > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
              >
              > http://www.southern-digital.com
              >
              > http://www.seeit360.net
              >
              > GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
              >
              > 404-551-4275

            • Roger Berry
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 30, 2009
                Try something like this Impact Heavy Duty Light Stand.
                Here's the link showing it a B&H Photo.
                http://tinyurl.com/stand22

                You could also rent one that's bigger and stronger if needed.

                The clamp on the lowest section I would leave loose and clamp a clamp above it after extending the tube, this way it would be free to rotate with your camera on top.

                Roger Berry
                http://IndiaVRtours.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Hi Willy,

                  Thanks for the links - stunning panoramics!

                  I've made a 3m pole from a lighting stand and centre column tripod.
                  Haven't tried it yet, but will give it a test run today.

                  I am curious about the cherry picker platform. How did you rotatate
                  about the NPP? Did you move the camera, or the cherry picker?

                  Best wishes,
                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                    stand and a centre column tripod. It has a very stable base with the
                    tripod legs spread, but the top sways around a lot and takes a long time
                    (minutes) to settle down.

                    It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                    more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

                    Many thanks,
                    Robert
                    --

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                      Robert when you are a bit away from near objects the NPP is of no big
                      issue anymore:

                      here some examples:

                      at least about 15m off NPP http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm/
                      see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

                      and the cherry picker was about 1.5m off NPP
                      > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/

                      Making some shots from the guard-rail around the platform.

                      or here http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Berkeley2007/Campanile/
                      and the corresponding platform
                      http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Berkeley2007/Campanile3/

                      So don't worry about NPP when in heights . This is also valid from
                      a 3 m pole a little bit swaying makes no big difference.

                      Willy Kaemena

                      On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:57, Robert Slade wrote:

                      > Hi Willy,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the links - stunning panoramics!
                      >
                      > I've made a 3m pole from a lighting stand and centre column tripod.
                      > Haven't tried it yet, but will give it a test run today.
                      >
                      > I am curious about the cherry picker platform. How did you rotatate
                      > about the NPP? Did you move the camera, or the cherry picker?
                      >
                      > Best wishes,
                      > Robert
                      > --
                      >
                      > Willy Kaemena wrote:
                      > > Some ideas :
                      > >
                      > > here from a Cherry Picker kind of platform
                      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Innotrans2008/InnotransOutdoor/
                      > >
                      > > or from a Cam boom
                      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Photokina/Cambo
                      > >
                      > > or simply a monopod tripod combo
                      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Bremen/MarktLichtshow3/
                      > >
                      > > Willy Kaemena
                      > >
                      > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
                      > > http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
                      > > http://360cities.net/area/damascus-syria
                      > > http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
                      > > http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
                      > > http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal
                      > >

                      > > On Jun 30, 2009, at 22:54, Sacha Griffin wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> You can use the cherry picker just shoot out of one side and move
                      > >> the cherry
                      > >> picker around your nadir.
                      > >>
                      > >> I've done this with a fork lift to success.
                      > >>
                      > >> Sacha Griffin
                      > >>
                      > >> Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                      > >>
                      > >> http://www.southern-digital.com
                      > >>
                      > >> http://www.seeit360.net
                      > >>
                      > >> GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
                      > >>
                      > >> 404-551-4275

                      (0049) 0177 327 2935

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                        Thanks Willy - I did wonder about the importance of NPP position further
                        away, the parallax error decreasing with distance. But I've never shot a
                        pano under these conditions before.

                        That's an amazing pano of the Olympic Park - taken from a helicopter?

                        Regards,
                        Rob

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                          noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                            Willy Kaemena wrote:

                            > noooo taken from here: > see the platform http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/Muenchen/Olympiaturm3/

                            Hi Willy - sorry, didn't make the connection between the two links
                            initially.

                            That must be you in the platform pano? What big hands you have! ;-)

                            Regards,
                            Rob
                            --

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                              transplanted hands..,..

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                                > Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                                > stand and a centre column tripod.

                                Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?

                                > It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                                > more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?

                                Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
                                which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
                                hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
                                indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
                                holes on his floor. :)

                                http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                                  On 7/2/2009 7:20 AM, Eduardo Hutter's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                  and typed ...:
                                  >> Thanks all for the help on this. I've made a 3m pole from a lighting
                                  >> stand and a centre column tripod.
                                  >
                                  > Which stand did you get Robert? Could you get us a picture of your gear?
                                  >
                                  >> It will be fine for indoor use with no breeze. But outdoors could be
                                  >> more of a problem! Any hints on how to dampen down the swaying?
                                  >
                                  > Manfrotto also has a "super high camera stand" going up to 7.3 mt (24')
                                  > which has wind-bracings. You could easily craft something similar to
                                  > hook up some lines (fishing-lines maybe?) to be fixed to... hmm...
                                  > indoors eh? I guess the factory manager won't like to see you drilling
                                  > holes on his floor. :)

                                  Use shot bags or small sand bags (shot bags are better on a weight to
                                  volume basis).

                                  > http://tinyurl.com/l8ztx2 -> check the detailed view from the top

                                  Pat Swovelin
                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                • AYRTON
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                                    On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Robert Slade
                                    <robert@...>wrote:

                                    > Hello,
                                    > I've been requested to create a 360x180 virtual tour of a factory
                                    > assembly area. It consists of rows of desks where workers sit and
                                    > assemble electronic components. From ground level, all of the desks are
                                    > at the same height. The best viewpoint will be three or four metres
                                    > above the ground.
                                    > I thought about a pole pano, but the factory is not well lit. Would the
                                    > pole be steady enough to support a heavy camera with a slow shutter speed?

                                    I did this one at 7.5 meters high
                                    It's a light stand that I adapt a home made pole solution :-)
                                    light was very low.

                                    <http://digg.com/u17FTp>

                                    best
                                    AYRTON

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                                      Thanks Eduardo, my stand is very similar to the Manfrotto 7.3m version
                                      except it is only 3m in maximum height. This is enough for my application.

                                      It wasn't very steady at maximum elevation, so I dismantled the lower
                                      column and inserted it into a Manfrotto centre column tripod. Now it has
                                      three very stable legs (about 5ft high when spread) and another (approx)
                                      2.5m above this.

                                      Since it's a one off job, and indoors, I will probably just wait for the
                                      swaying motion to die down before releasing the shutter (using Canon
                                      LC-4 remote control).

                                      Regards,
                                      Rob