Re: [PanoToolsNG] help with the right software for my mac?

  • Harry van der Wolf
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi Chris,

      Hugin 0.7 and the newer 0.8 development builds only run on 10.4 and newer.
      The reason is that some underlying components need 10.4 or newer.

      The previous version 0.6.1 also runs on 10.3.9.

      When you still want to use the 0.7 or newer versions of Hugin (for 10.4 and
      up), you only need the "auto controlpoint" generators as extra. These
      generators are patent bound. In this situation it means that it's not
      allowed to use them commercially. As we don't have control ove the usage of
      Hugin, they are "delivered" separately to make it the responsibility of the
      user. All plugins come with an installer.
      All other mentioned software like enblend, enfuse and so on come prepackaged
      inside the bundle.

      You can download the official 0.7 and 0.6.1 from <
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/>

      You can download the 0.8 development builds and plugins (also for 0.7) from
      <http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?lang=EN&subject=Hugin&texttag=Hugin>

      Please mention where you encountered the 10.2 minimum version. It is
      incorrect for already a very logn time.

      Kind regards,
      Harry

      2009/6/30 Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>

      > i downloaded hugin the other day. it wasn't until i tried installing
      > that the read me files said it was compatible only with osx 10.4 and
      > later. i was surprised because i could've sworn that the download
      > site said osx 10.2.something and later. anyway, my question is can i
      > get hugin or another panotools freeware for osx10.3.9? i'm running it
      > on a sawtooth/agp graphics machine. also, i'm a bit confused by the
      > different additional programs that i also need to use with it (e.g.
      > enblend, etc.). what are they for/what do they do? which ones do i
      > need? i don't have any photo editing software, like photoshop etc.,
      > so i don't need any plugins. just something that can stand alone and
      > stitch together image files scanned from negatives. sorry for the
      > pathetic questions. . . .

    • Chris Burck
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
        harry, thanks for your help. a few clarifying questions. when you
        say enblend, enfuse, etc. "come prepackaged inside the bundle," by
        "the bundle" do you mean the hugin download? i.e. i download hugin
        and i'm set, no other downloads necessary (unless i choose versions
        0.7 or newer, in which case i need the controlpoint thingy)? also, do
        i infer from what you said that there are plugins for hugin, i.e. that
        enhance hugin itself, as opposed to plugins that add panotools/hugin
        functionality to an editing program like photoshop? is there a
        tutorial or primer that can enlighten me on these things? there
        didn't seem to be anything like that in the files section. i can't
        recall where i saw the 10.2 version, it's very possible that i
        conflated a panotools download page with the hugin download page, and
        just assumed what applied with the former, applied with the latter
        (since the latter is based on the former iirc). so much for
        assumptions. oh, yeah, do you say hugin like plugin, "hugh_gin,"
        hoogin, hoojin, or "huge_in?"
      • Harry van der Wolf
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
          2009/6/30 Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>

          > harry, thanks for your help. a few clarifying questions. when you
          > say enblend, enfuse, etc. "come prepackaged inside the bundle," by
          > "the bundle" do you mean the hugin download? i.e. i download hugin
          > and i'm set, no other downloads necessary (unless i choose versions
          > 0.7 or newer, in which case i need the controlpoint thingy)?

          Yes, that's right. The 0.61, 0.7 and 0.8 builds are complete packages apart
          from the "controlpoint thingy". When you create panorama's, you start with
          your source images which have (should have) a certain overlap. In this
          overlapping areas you select equal points in image 1 and image 2, the so
          called control points. Hugin needs these to align the images. You can
          either add ControlPoints (CP's) by hand or you can use a "controlpoint
          thingy" that automatically does it for you. These "controlpoint thingies"
          are the plugins I mentioned.

          > also, do
          > i infer from what you said that there are plugins for hugin, i.e. that
          > enhance hugin itself, as opposed to plugins that add panotools/hugin
          > functionality to an editing program like photoshop? is there a
          > tutorial or primer that can enlighten me on these things?

          The MacOSX hugin version is the only one that uses this plugin structure and
          currently only for the control point generators. Hugin itself can't be used
          as a plugin to some other application.

          There are many good tutorials. You should check <
          http://hugin.sourceforge.net>. In the Tutorial section you'll find a couple
          of very useful tutorials.

          there
          > didn't seem to be anything like that in the files section. i can't
          > recall where i saw the 10.2 version, it's very possible that i
          > conflated a panotools download page with the hugin download page, and
          > just assumed what applied with the former, applied with the latter
          > (since the latter is based on the former iirc). so much for
          > assumptions. oh, yeah, do you say hugin like plugin, "hugh_gin,"
          > hoogin, hoojin, or "huge_in?"

          Hugin comes from the name of one of Odin's raven. If you are not familiar
          with Norse mythology you might take a look at <
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huginn_and_Muninn>. In the early days munin was
          a parallel project.
          English is not my native language, but hugin is pronounced like in "huggin'
          and kissin' " (and no: kissin is not Odin's other raven).

          Harry

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
            Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:
            oh, yeah, do you say hugin like plugin, "hugh_gin,"
            > hoogin, hoojin, or "huge_in?"

            I always thought it was like "love in"

            mick

          • Lars O. Grobe
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
              Hi,

              I have been trying to use Hugin on a 10.3.9 system for a while... I
              think it is not a very promising path to go, as you will start with
              software releases (0.6) that are really old even now and will not get
              much fun out of the communities ressources referring to the new releases
              in the future. Hugin has been one of the reasons that I booted into
              Linux on my Mac (as other open source software, which is in general
              ported nicely to OS X, but requires you to have always the latest
              release of the OS installed).

              So my advice: either keep your OS X up-to-date, or add some Linux
              partition for having fun with open source on the Mac.

              Cheers, Lars.
            • Chris Burck
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
                lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
                10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?
              • Lars O. Grobe
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Hi!

                  Chris Burck wrote:
                  > lars, are there specific problems that you had running hugin on
                  > 10.3.9? which version/build of linux do you use?

                  The problem was just that I was stuck with an old release. And whenever
                  I want to install open source software, I have to get the old releases
                  from 2005, 2006, with unfixed bugs, not much support (as noone else is
                  using it anymore) and the frustration of spending times with problems
                  that have been solved a long time ago. I have been using Debian /PPC (I
                  think it was Etch) on my old Powerbook 12" 867MHz until I replaced it
                  with a Thinkpad last year. Linux on Mac is very nice except the one
                  button mouse on Laptops, you even get Java fresh and up-to-date as IBM
                  is supporting its Power-platform very well.

                  So again I think either getting a Linux installation or making sure to
                  always have the latest OS X is the way to go when using open source on a
                  Mac.

                  CU Lars.
                • Chris Burck
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                    harry, 0.6.1 does not seem to be available any longer? at least not
                    at the link you gave me. does anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
                    i did a web search, but so far any third party sites ultimately link
                    bank to the hugin download page at sourceforge. :(
                  • Chris Burck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                      ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
                      downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
                      which of the options do i want? there is a link for
                      hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
                      another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
                      one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
                      version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
                      (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
                      preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.
                    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Quoting Chris Burck <chris.burck@...>:

                        > ok, bruno kindly provided the url for the complete list of hugin
                        > downloads, which could not seem to navigate to. now i need to ask
                        > which of the options do i want? there is a link for
                        > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz, another for hugin-0.6.1.tar.bz, and
                        > another for HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg a universal binary. this last
                        > one seems like it would use more drive space than a native ppc
                        > version. so if i can use the first one, apparently a tarball version
                        > (haven't figured what that means yet), then i guess that would my
                        > preference. can anyone offer any guidance? thanks again.

                        a tarball is like a furball all wrapped up tight. like a zip file.

                        .gz as I understand it is additionally compressed so
                        gunzip hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar.gz
                        gives hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                        then
                        tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                        gives
                        hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools

                        regards

                        mick

                      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                          > tar xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar
                          > gives
                          > hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools
                          or rather
                          tar -xvf hugin-0.6.1_mac-tools.tar

                          and the .bz file I guess is
                          bunzip instead of gunzip, what the advantages are I do not know.

                          mick

                        • Harry van der Wolf
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                            Hi Chris,

                            You should download the
                            HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=77506&filename=HuginOSX-v061_build2.dmg&a=42849664>.
                            The other ones are not suitable for your.
                            The tarball is a source version which you have to compile yourself.
                            The universal one can be run on both ppc and i386 and is bigger than a
                            native ppc version, but it will take installed about 50 MB. What's the
                            issue?
                            10 8Mp+ source images and it's resulting pano take more space. And that's
                            when talking about jpegs. With 10 8p+ tiff images you have easily 150-250
                            MB.

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                              thanks, harry. i'll download the binary for now. i am on a fixed
                              storage income, so to speak, for the next several months at least so i
                              have to try and optimize wherever possible. i don't work with large
                              image files. 99% of what i do is film, scanning black and white negs
                              at 1200ppi or 2400ppi so the files are usually 10MB or less, and only
                              the very best of them are stored as tiffs. the rest are either
                              deleted or saved as jpegs (if i want to share them, i'd be doing so in
                              jpeg format anyway). thanks again. i appreciate all the help
                              everyone has kindly given. i'll let you all know how i get on.