Re: HDR software for natural looking composites

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2009
      Robert Slade wrote:

      > This is true, I have often recovered "blown" highlights by using the
      > "recovery" slider in RAW converter.

      Highlight recovery is something different. The problem is that not all
      three color channels saturate at the same level. For the jpeg generated
      in the camera clipping for all channels simply is lowered to the lowest
      clipping level of the respective channel (may be sometimes lower,
      especially if high contrast picture style is selected).

      Highlight recovery tries to reconstruct the information of a clipped
      channel from the other channels. See f.e.
      http://tinyurl.com/dxo-highlight-recovery
      But it must fail if all three channels are clipped.

      However, there surely are differences between cameras in how much
      highlights are clipped in jpeg output relative to RAW output. The Fuji
      S5 is said to clip jpeg 2 f-stops below the real limit.

      best regards