Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Laser pointers for monopod alignment

  • Peter Nyfeler
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
      Hi Peter

      panovrx schrieb:
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I have made a two handed camera grip for use with my laser plum bob (and general overhead handheld use)
      >> http://www.mediavr.com/lasergrip.jpg

      This looks really cool and I think it is a fast and precise setup.

      When I sam the image of your setup the following came to my mind:

      Make a frame where the camera is hanging inside and is mounted from
      the top. The frame and mounting would allow the camera to self levelling
      for pitch and roll.
      Only yaw should be fixed, so you can turn the setup fast while shooting
      and without
      getting the frame inside the pictures. Probably it would be needed to
      dampen the
      move of the camera for sharper images.

      ....just an idea....

      Best regards

      from the other Peter ;-)
    • Robert Slade
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
        panovrx wrote:

        > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/market3.htm

        Hi Peter,

        That's a really nice hand-held pano! I love the two guys staring at what
        you're doing with the puzzled looks on their faces.

        I also get that a lot because I'm looking at the camera when I press the
        remote release. People are more likely to look at what I'm doing if
        there is no eye contact! When I look through the viewfinder, they
        instinctively look away.

        Regards,
        Rob

        --
        Robert Slade, Photographer
        Manor Photography 07890 564889
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 28, 2009
          It's called a gimbal...

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal

          Peter Nyfeler wrote:
          > Hi Peter
          >
          > panovrx schrieb:
          >
          >>--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>>I have made a two handed camera grip for use with my laser plum bob (and general overhead handheld use)
          >>>http://www.mediavr.com/lasergrip.jpg
          >>>

          > This looks really cool and I think it is a fast and precise setup.
          >
          > When I sam the image of your setup the following came to my mind:
          >
          > Make a frame where the camera is hanging inside and is mounted from
          > the top. The frame and mounting would allow the camera to self levelling
          > for pitch and roll.
          > Only yaw should be fixed, so you can turn the setup fast while shooting
          > and without
          > getting the frame inside the pictures. Probably it would be needed to
          > dampen the
          > move of the camera for sharper images.
          >
          > ....just an idea....
          >

          > Best regards
          >
          > from the other Peter ;-)

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 1, 2009

            > > I have made a two handed camera grip for use with my laser plum bob (and general overhead handheld use)
            > > http://www.mediavr.com/lasergrip.jpg
            > >
            > > The idea is you stand a little behind the laser pointer (so your stomach doesnt obstruct the beam -- motivation to not get fat) and hold the camera overhead so that the beam goes between your arms and hits the underneath of the lens. It is easy to find the beam because you are holding the camera symmetrically. It is possible to hold the beam on the required spot without too much effort to within a few mm. But you have to keep looking at it really to keep it there. So not ideal but pretty good for very accurate stitching with just a handheld grip and a laser gadget. You can take sharp shots with it down to about 1/50th.

            I did some tests yesterday (at a local Chinese Garden) with the laser plumbbob (Dewalt)and two handed camera grip. You can see from my shadow in a couple of them what's going on. There were a couple of issues but generally the stitchability was very good for handheld panoramas. First issue, hard to see the laser dot on the underneath of the lens when looking into the sun. Second issue, I had put the laser in a camera bag (so it didnt look conspicuous), and as the breeze blew it made the bag move and the laser swing. Indoors, with no wind, if you concentrate hard you can keep the dot right where it should be and get almost perfect stitching but outdoors it is harder to do that. Here are the panoramas straight as they came out of PTGui without retouching or nadir shot incorporation.
            http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden2.htm
            http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden4.htm
            http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden5.htm

            Peter M
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 1, 2009
              On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:04:46 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> > I have made a two handed camera grip for use with my laser plum bob
              >> (and general overhead handheld use)
              >> > http://www.mediavr.com/lasergrip.jpg
              >> >
              >> > The idea is you stand a little behind the laser pointer (so your
              >> stomach doesnt obstruct the beam -- motivation to not get fat) and hold
              >> the camera overhead so that the beam goes between your arms and hits
              >> the underneath of the lens. It is easy to find the beam because you are
              >> holding the camera symmetrically. It is possible to hold the beam on
              >> the required spot without too much effort to within a few mm. But you
              >> have to keep looking at it really to keep it there. So not ideal but
              >> pretty good for very accurate stitching with just a handheld grip and a
              >> laser gadget. You can take sharp shots with it down to about 1/50th.
              >> >

              > I did some tests yesterday (at a local Chinese Garden) with the laser
              > plumbbob (Dewalt)and two handed camera grip. You can see from my shadow
              > in a couple of them what's going on. There were a couple of issues but
              > generally the stitchability was very good for handheld panoramas. First
              > issue, hard to see the laser dot on the underneath of the lens when
              > looking into the sun. Second issue, I had put the laser in a camera bag
              > (so it didnt look conspicuous), and as the breeze blew it made the bag
              > move and the laser swing. Indoors, with no wind, if you concentrate hard
              > you can keep the dot right where it should be and get almost perfect
              > stitching but outdoors it is harder to do that. Here are the panoramas
              > straight as they came out of PTGui without retouching or nadir shot
              > incorporation.
              > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden2.htm
              > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden4.htm
              > http://www.mediavr.com/flash/chinagarden5.htm

              Wow! Very impressive demonstration of concept. Beautiful spot for panoramas
              and amazing results without either retouching or nadir fixing.

              I was letting alll this "laser this and that" go past me, thinking all
              the while "not for me..." but now I think I'll have to check it out.
              Especially as I prefer handheld to monopod and monopod to tripod. I
              guess it would be more difficult for panoramas that require more shots
              to square the circle--like the 10.5mm Nikor on my Fujifilm S5 Pro,
              which requires six around plus up and/or down...

              Roger W.

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com