Re: AW: [PanoToolsNG] [OT] more than 1 million pageviews

  • Eduardo Hutter
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
      Yes, that sure does a big difference on the way the stats can be
      presented. Ayrton's stats are based on pageviews though, not hits.

      cheers

      * crane@... wrote, On 02/06/2009 6:22 AM:

      > Put a lot of zoomable images on your site. Each tile=1 hit :-)
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
        On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM, <crane@...> wrote:

        > Quoting ptgroup <ptgroup@...>:
        >
        > > I saw the setup about 1 year ago somewhere - forgot where :( but it was
        > the
        > > same procedure.
        > > Yes- they stopped half way, so much effort should have better
        > presentation
        > > then just a movie.
        > >
        > > Congrat Ayrton - great number.
        > > I´m working on it - may be in about 10 year I can hit this number :)
        >

        > Put a lot of zoomable images on your site. Each tile=1 hit :-)

        Hits is another way to look at, but not that good,
        because each element, each file is a "hit" ;-(

        Mine is based on "pageviews"
        and since every panorama has ONE page, it is a way to know how many
        panoramas were opened.

        On hits, my numbers for May/2009 was :
        2 million
        845 thousand
        585
        HITS

        > Cheers
        >
        > Mick
        >

        > > Ciao
        > > Mike
        > > ----------------------------
        > > 360° VR Fotografie:
        > > http://www.360de.de
        > >
        > > NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
        > > http://www.abstraktfoto.de
        > > -----------------------------

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
          On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Matt Smith <masmith@...> wrote:

          > Hitting Mainstream is a great thing for all of us. Here is a link I
          > came across this morning.
          >
          > http://www.mtv.com/photos/?fid=1611667&view=thumb

          Hey this is really fun

          I've been looking at some, and thanks for the link

          > Its 360 fashion on the red carpet.
          > Congrats to whoever got the gig, but I could have thought of two or
          > three things that I would have done.
          >
          > Great job on the million, I could claim a few of those hits. but I am
          > humble. I know I have not been there 212,000 times!

          :-)
          Thanks

          best wishes
          AYRTON

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
            On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:19 PM, ptgroup <ptgroup@...> wrote:

            > Congrat Ayrton - great number.
            > I´m working on it - may be in about 10 year I can hit this number :)

            It was a surprise for me too :-)
            Thanks Mike

            best
            AYRTON

            > Ciao
            > Mike
            > ----------------------------
            > 360° VR Fotografie:
            > http://www.360de.de
            >
            > NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
            > http://www.abstraktfoto.de
            > -----------------------------

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
              On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Bernd <schuhdohrmann@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ayrton,
              > congrat - really great number.

              thanks Bernd

              > ... and how many visitors you've got ?

              Unique visitors during the same period 1st May until 31 st May
              was 88.583
              what gives arund 2.857 a day
              I guess they liked it a lot and opened lots of panoramas :-)

              I'm gonna put on the list files section, all the screen shots, since lots
              of guys from here are asking me to send in PVT

              Thanks again

              best wishes
              AYRTON

              > all the best
              > Bernd

            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

                > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Bernd <schuhdohrmann@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Hi Ayrton,
                > > congrat - really great number.
                >

                > thanks Bernd
                >

                > > ... and how many visitors you've got ?
                >

                > Unique visitors during the same period 1st May until 31 st May
                > was 88.583
                > what gives arund 2.857 a day
                > I guess they liked it a lot and opened lots of panoramas :-)

                That sounds more likely.
                But I doubt that the 40.000 pageviews a day are real pageviews,'You have no analytics plugin on your panoramas.
                I assume that the file you posted is from the Special Blog analytic plugin.
                It does not look like anything I seen.

                5 pageviews per visitor is a very high number,
                2-3 is more normal.

                With 40.000 you have 14/visitor and that is even without the actual panoramas which have no detection from analytics. That does not make sense.
                I guess this is some weird thing which happens because of the way the blog is generated or because of something odd with this plugin.
                Maybe because reading just one of the comments makes one more pageview.

                Hans
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                  On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                  > > Unique visitors during the same period 1st May until 31 st May
                  > > was 88.583
                  > > what gives arund 2.857 a day
                  > > I guess they liked it a lot and opened lots of panoramas :-)
                  > >

                  > That sounds more likely.
                  > But I doubt that the 40.000 pageviews a day are real pageviews,'You have no
                  > analytics plugin on your panoramas.
                  > I assume that the file you posted is from the Special Blog analytic plugin.
                  > It does not look like anything I seen.

                  These are from URCHIN software that is on my server

                  > 5 pageviews per visitor is a very high number,
                  > 2-3 is more normal.

                  I've been discussing with lots of people and they all tell me that they
                  looked at a bunch ... some said that they looked at almost 12 different ones

                  > With 40.000 you have 14/visitor and that is even without the actual
                  > panoramas which have no detection from analytics. That does not make sense.
                  > I guess this is some weird thing which happens because of the way the blog
                  > is generated or because of something odd with this plugin.
                  > Maybe because reading just one of the comments makes one more pageview.

                  all the coments, for each post, are on just ONE page,
                  people go there to click on the thumbnail and open up the panorama, and
                  then, after seeing it, they write a comment on the page that was left open
                  behind the pano.

                  So in other words I guess that for seeing a panorama some people see TWO
                  pages.
                  One with the thumbnail, and one with the real panorama.

                  But this is just guessing :-)

                  best

                  > Hans

                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

                    > > That sounds more likely.
                    > > But I doubt that the 40.000 pageviews a day are real pageviews,'You have no
                    > > analytics plugin on your panoramas.
                    > > I assume that the file you posted is from the Special Blog analytic plugin.
                    > > It does not look like anything I seen.
                    >

                    > These are from URCHIN software that is on my server

                    You have the Urchin plugin for Wordpress
                    <!--
                    Google Analytics Plugin for Wordpress and BBPress
                    http://boakes.org/analytics
                    -->
                    <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
                    </script>
                    <script type="text/javascript">
                    _uacct = "UA-1249939";
                    urchinTracker();
                    </script>

                    The old Urchin server stats are from what I read not at all reliaable.
                    They also counts robots.

                    > > 5 pageviews per visitor is a very high number,
                    > > 2-3 is more normal.
                    >

                    > I've been discussing with lots of people and they all tell me that they
                    > looked at a bunch ... some said that they looked at almost 12 different ones

                    > > With 40.000 you have 14/visitor and that is even without the actual
                    > > panoramas which have no detection from analytics. That does not make sense.
                    > > I guess this is some weird thing which happens because of the way the blog
                    > > is generated or because of something odd with this plugin.
                    > > Maybe because reading just one of the comments makes one more pageview.
                    >

                    > all the coments, for each post, are on just ONE page,
                    > people go there to click on the thumbnail and open up the panorama, and
                    > then, after seeing it, they write a comment on the page that was left open
                    > behind the pano.

                    Well opening the comments is one more pageview.
                    So if you look at comments on 2 panoramas you already have 3 pageviews.

                    > So in other words I guess that for seeing a panorama some people see TWO
                    > pages.
                    > One with the thumbnail, and one with the real panorama.

                    What does your analytics say. You do not have it on the panoramas but you should see the other pages.

                    There must be something wrong with all those pageviews.

                    Hans
                  • Fabio Bustamante
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                      Ayrton, can't you check the volume of data transfered? Knowing how many
                      megabytes were downloaded from your server will probably give you a good
                      idea of how many panoramas were opened.

                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                        On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Fabio Bustamante <
                        contato@...> wrote:

                        > Ayrton, can't you check the volume of data transfered? Knowing how many
                        > megabytes were downloaded from your server will probably give you a good
                        > idea of how many panoramas were opened.

                        That's exactly what I was thinking a few minutes ago :-)

                        Look on the other msg I wrote to Hans on the list too

                        best
                        AYRTON

                        > Hans Nyberg wrote:

                        > have no
                        > plugin.
                        > >>>
                        > >> These are from URCHIN software that is on my server
                        > >>

                        > > You have the Urchin plugin for Wordpress
                        > > <!--
                        > > Google Analytics Plugin for Wordpress and BBPress
                        > > http://boakes.org/analytics
                        > > -->
                        > > <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js"
                        > type="text/javascript">
                        > > </script>
                        > > <script type="text/javascript">
                        > > _uacct = "UA-1249939";
                        > > urchinTracker();
                        > > </script>
                        > >
                        > > The old Urchin server stats are from what I read not at all reliaable.
                        > > They also counts robots.

                        > >> I've been discussing with lots of people and they all tell me that they
                        > >> looked at a bunch ... some said that they looked at almost 12 different
                        > ones

                        > sense.
                        > blog
                        > >>>
                        > >> all the coments, for each post, are on just ONE page,
                        > >> people go there to click on the thumbnail and open up the panorama, and
                        > >> then, after seeing it, they write a comment on the page that was left
                        > open
                        > >> behind the pano.
                        > >>

                        > > Well opening the comments is one more pageview.
                        > > So if you look at comments on 2 panoramas you already have 3 pageviews.
                        > >
                        > > > So in other words I guess that for seeing a panorama some people see
                        > TWO
                        > >
                        > >> pages.
                        > >> One with the thumbnail, and one with the real panorama.
                        > >>

                        > > What does your analytics say. You do not have it on the panoramas but you
                        > should see the other pages.
                        > >
                        > > There must be something wrong with all those pageviews.
                        > >
                        > > Hans

                      • AYRTON
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                          On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > > That sounds more likely.
                          > > > But I doubt that the 40.000 pageviews a day are real pageviews,'You
                          > have no
                          > > > analytics plugin on your panoramas.
                          > > > I assume that the file you posted is from the Special Blog analytic
                          > plugin.
                          > > > It does not look like anything I seen.
                          >
                          > The old Urchin server stats are from what I read not at all reliaable.
                          > They also counts robots.

                          They count ROBOTS in a separate spreedsheet
                          I can choose that option if I want to see it.

                          > all the coments, for each post, are on just ONE page,
                          > > people go there to click on the thumbnail and open up the panorama, and
                          > > then, after seeing it, they write a comment on the page that was left
                          > open
                          > > behind the pano.
                          >
                          > Well opening the comments is one more pageview.
                          > So if you look at comments on 2 panoramas you already have 3 pageviews.

                          Every panorama, unless they go direct to the html page that contains it,
                          they will always open 2 page (and count 2 pageviews)

                          One is the page with the Thumbnail AND the comments
                          and the other is the pano itself

                          BUT I went to look at the DATA transfered and the amount is HUGE
                          So, it is a lot of files being transfered, what would not be just pages with
                          comments
                          It's attached on thsi msg to you directly, and I posted on the list files
                          section too.

                          On the same period of time the DATA transfered was : 236.45 GB !!!

                          and an average of 7.63 Gb everyday

                          best
                          AYRTON

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                            Sorry I forgot the attachment :-)

                            On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

                            >> have no
                            >> plugin.
                            >>
                            >> The old Urchin server stats are from what I read not at all reliaable.
                            >> They also counts robots.
                            >>

                            > They count ROBOTS in a separate spreedsheet
                            > I can choose that option if I want to see it.
                            >
                            > > all the coments, for each post, are on just ONE page,
                            >> > people go there to click on the thumbnail and open up the panorama, and
                            >> > then, after seeing it, they write a comment on the page that was left
                            >> open
                            >> > behind the pano.
                            >>
                            >> Well opening the comments is one more pageview.
                            >> So if you look at comments on 2 panoramas you already have 3 pageviews.
                            >

                            > Every panorama, unless they go direct to the html page that contains it,
                            > they will always open 2 page (and count 2 pageviews)
                            >
                            > One is the page with the Thumbnail AND the comments
                            > and the other is the pano itself
                            >
                            > BUT I went to look at the DATA transfered and the amount is HUGE
                            > So, it is a lot of files being transfered, what would not be just pages
                            > with comments
                            > It's attached on thsi msg to you directly, and I posted on the list files
                            > section too.
                            >
                            > On the same period of time the DATA transfered was : 236.45 GB !!!
                            >
                            > and an average of 7.63 Gb everyday
                            >
                            > best
                            > AYRTON
                            >

                            >> > So in other words I guess that for seeing a panorama some people see TWO
                            >> > pages.
                            >> > One with the thumbnail, and one with the real panorama.
                            >>
                            >> What does your analytics say. You do not have it on the panoramas but you
                            >> should see the other pages.
                            >>
                            >> There must be something wrong with all those pageviews.
                            >>
                            >> Hans
                            >>

                            >> ------------------------------------
                            >>
                            >> --
                            >>

                            > --
                            > ------------
                            > | A Y R |
                            > | T O N |
                            > ------------ + 55 21 9982 6313
                            > http://ayrton360.com | http://vrfolio.com | http://ayrton.com

                          • Hans Nyberg
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                              On 03/06/2009, at 3.30, AYRTON wrote:
                              >On the same period of time the DATA transfered was : 236.45 GB !!!
                              >and an average of 7.63 Gb everyday

                              Well that proofs what I say.

                              7,65 GB is only 3000 panoramas if they are 2,5mb each.
                              I guess yours are even larger average. as most of them also have an mp3 file attached

                              So with 2857 visitors a day you only have around 1 panorama per visitor.

                              I guess also about 50% of the visitors just bounce without seeing anything at all. Very common but it depends on how they reach you and how your site is described by the site that link to you.