Re: [PanoToolsNG] Help making masks in TIF files ...

  • Tim Hatch
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      > Then ... What should I do in order to create and save the mask
      > within the 16
      > bit TIF picture ?

      If your tiff already has an alpha channel, then it will show up as a
      4th channel in the "Channels" palette (by default it's a tab by
      Layers). If you pick the alpha mask, then you'll be drawing in it.
      Either ctrl+Bksp or alt+Bksp will then fill your selection with white/
      black as desired. You can have the alpha channel and RGB visible at
      the same time, and the mask will show up as a red semitransparent
      overlay. This gives you more direct control than just saving the
      selection, however requires you to have an alpha channel in place
      (add one if you don't already have it).

      Tim
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roberto Gomez Torres"
        <roberto@...> wrote:

        > I use the Lasso Tool or the Polygonal Lasso Tool to choose and mark
        > the area I want to exclude from the panorama.

        As usual, there are several ways to do this, and it is sometimes easier
        to create the mask by painting with a brush rather than using selection
        tools. To do this, go to the Channels palette:

        Second icon from the right at the bottom is the create new channel icon.
        Click on this icon while holding down the shift key. This will create
        your new alpha channel filled with white and will be displayed in your
        image window.

        Now click on the eye of the rgb channel in the channels palette. The
        main image will appear in the image window, but the alpha channel
        remains selected as the active channel.

        Select black as the foreground colour and paint the areas you want to
        mask with a hard edged brush. They will appear as a red overlay.

        Save the tiff file and you're done.

        John