Re: Help making masks in TIF files ...

  • Yiorgos Teo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roberto Gomez Torres"
      <roberto@...> wrote:

      > Hello Pals,
      >
      > I need a little help here.

      After you select the area you want to exclude, from the
      menu click Select > Inverse

      So your selection is now the area you want to include.
      Now go Select > Save Selection and just type a name for
      the selection (I use Alpha1) and click OK. You have created
      an alpha channel.

      Saludos desde Grecia,

      Yiorgos
      http://www.Hellas.net
    • Tim Hatch
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        > Then ... What should I do in order to create and save the mask
        > within the 16
        > bit TIF picture ?

        If your tiff already has an alpha channel, then it will show up as a
        4th channel in the "Channels" palette (by default it's a tab by
        Layers). If you pick the alpha mask, then you'll be drawing in it.
        Either ctrl+Bksp or alt+Bksp will then fill your selection with white/
        black as desired. You can have the alpha channel and RGB visible at
        the same time, and the mask will show up as a red semitransparent
        overlay. This gives you more direct control than just saving the
        selection, however requires you to have an alpha channel in place
        (add one if you don't already have it).

        Tim
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
          <roberto@...> wrote:

          > I use the Lasso Tool or the Polygonal Lasso Tool to choose and mark
          > the area I want to exclude from the panorama.

          As usual, there are several ways to do this, and it is sometimes easier
          to create the mask by painting with a brush rather than using selection
          tools. To do this, go to the Channels palette:

          Second icon from the right at the bottom is the create new channel icon.
          Click on this icon while holding down the shift key. This will create
          your new alpha channel filled with white and will be displayed in your
          image window.

          Now click on the eye of the rgb channel in the channels palette. The
          main image will appear in the image window, but the alpha channel
          remains selected as the active channel.

          Select black as the foreground colour and paint the areas you want to
          mask with a hard edged brush. They will appear as a red overlay.

          Save the tiff file and you're done.

          John