Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital camera level -- new gadget

  • Uri Cogan
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31 10:22 AM
      Ken Warner wrote:

      > I bought one on eBay also. It's cheap but I don't
      > think it's completely accurate.
      >
      > I compared what it said was level to a
      > more expensive hardware store bought level and there
      > was a difference. I suspect the cheaper one is less
      > accurate.

      Yes. I too bought a cheap transparent "cube" level that turned out to be
      useless.
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        Quoting Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...>:

        > or you can use one of the iphone apps that can make your phone into a
        > digital level :)

        I'm not completely clued up on this but I think new iphone will have gps tied to
        photos. so gps exif can be automagically applied to "proper" camera photos by
        comparing time stamp.

        regards

        mick

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
          or you can use one of the iphone apps that can make your phone into a
          digital level :)

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009

            > I noticed in my local camera store this new gadget --- a digital camera level -- and it seems to be plenty handy and accurate, but too pricey for a casual purchase.
            > http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4079.htm
            > There are 5 leds -- four red ones for off-level -- two either side, and a green one in the middle for level. It only levels one axis so you would need two for normal levelling. One obvious use is for levelling pole panoramas, so you could look up and see quickly if the camera is level. You could easily mount them so you could see the leds from below.
            >
            > Peter M

            I've bought a couple of these now. Tip 1: dont lose the instruction sheet. Tip 2: if the zero calibration isnt working -- change the batteries.

            It is possible to change the sensitivity on them from high to low. High sensitivity is very high. If the camera is at eye level on a monopod say, and the level is set to high sensitivity, then the range of horizontal motion on the monopod top where the level still shows green is approximately one cm. So this is good enough accuracy with two sensors at right angles (tilt and roll) for most monopod shot panoramas I think.

            I will make a clamp so I can mount two on my monopod a little below eyelevel. The big advantages over analog levels are you can see them in the dark, you dont have to be standing over them, so you can avoid some shadow issues with monopod-shot panoramas, and mostly they would be more accurate than analog levels.

            Peter M