Re: [PanoToolsNG] Digital camera level -- new gadget

  • Philipp B. Koch
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2009
      panovrx schrieb:
      > I noticed in my local camera store this new gadget --- a digital camera level -- and it seems to be plenty handy and accurate, but too pricey for a casual purchase.
      > http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4079.htm
      > There are 5 leds -- four red ones for off-level -- two either side, and a green one in the middle for level. It only levels one axis so you would need two for normal levelling. One obvious use is for levelling pole panoramas, so you could look up and see quickly if the camera is level. You could easily mount them so you could see the leds from below.
      >
      > Peter M
      Hhm, why not simply use an analog one like I do? For example one of
      these: *http://tinyurl.com/n2xsgf. Costs only a fraction of the digital
      one and allows you to level more than axis at the same time.

      Best regards, Philipp
      *
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

        > panovrx schrieb:
        > > I noticed in my local camera store this new gadget --- a digital camera level -- and it seems to be plenty handy and accurate, but too pricey for a casual purchase.
        > > http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4079.htm
        > > There are 5 leds -- four red ones for off-level -- two either side, and a green one in the middle for level. It only levels one axis so you would need two for normal levelling. One obvious use is for levelling pole panoramas, so you could look up and see quickly if the camera is level. You could easily mount them so you could see the leds from below.
        > >
        > > Peter M
        > Hhm, why not simply use an analog one like I do? For example one of
        > these: *http://tinyurl.com/n2xsgf. Costs only a fraction of the digital
        > one and allows you to level more than axis at the same time.
        >
        > Best regards, Philipp
        > *

        Yes there are all sorts of analog levels all of which are useful for different things. There is the Manfrotto one for instance that is cheap and clamps to any pole, which is good for eyelevel pole levelling. But sometimes you cant see them -- where you could see a colorcoded diode readout. From further away,eg. -- and without having to try to be sure of looking at a bubble directly on.

        One use eg. for this digital one is when you are actually looking through the viewfinder
        Because it can sit in the accessory shoe directly above the eyepiece you have level information in your (peripheral) field of view while using the viewfinder.

        Peter M
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2009
          On Sat, 30 May 2009 20:34:25 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

          > Yes there are all sorts of analog levels all of which are useful for
          > different things. There is the Manfrotto one for instance that is cheap
          > and clamps to any pole, which is good for eyelevel pole levelling. But
          > sometimes you cant see them -- where you could see a colorcoded diode
          > readout. From further away,eg. -- and without having to try to be sure
          > of looking at a bubble directly on.
          >
          > One use eg. for this digital one is when you are actually looking
          > through the viewfinder
          > Because it can sit in the accessory shoe directly above the eyepiece you
          > have level information in your (peripheral) field of view while using
          > the viewfinder.

          I agree that a highly (and remotely) visible LED display could be a real
          help in getting the camera level when it is well out of reach.

          For a camera that is held up to the eye, I have a neat little device
          produced by Cosina for use with their wide-angle lenses. I ran into
          big problems leveling a Cosina camera with a 21mm lens, which was
          a big deal for me at the time. The viewfinder on my rangefinder
          Cosina produces a very distorted image (fortunately the lens itself
          doesn't) but this discrepancy between the actual image and the
          viewfinder image makes it difficult to level the camera by looking
          through the viewfinder. The device has a bubble in the horizontal
          plane seen in a mirror that erects the image close enough to the
          viewfinder image that you can see it out of the corner of your eye.
          Since the bubble is horizontal it tells you when the camera and
          lens are truly in the horizontal plane, and after a little while it
          becomes second nature to keep the bubble central while framing the
          image.

          It doesn't work as well with an SLR or DSLR taking panoramas, as it
          is limited to the landscape orientation. But it was just fine when
          I was shooting cylindrical panoramas on film... But then you don't
          NEED as much help with a camera that shows you more or less
          exactly what you are taking.

          It wasn't a cheap device, but it was a lifesaver for me. I have no
          use for it now... I use a bubble level Velcro'd to my monopod that
          slides up and down to stay at eye level as the camera height
          varies.

          Roger

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
        • RobLee
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2009
            I bought hot shoe levels on ebay for $5 including shipping

            > I noticed in my local camera store this new gadget --- a  digital camera level -- and it seems to be plenty handy and accurate, but too pricey for a casual purchase.
            > http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4079.htm
            > There are 5 leds -- four red ones for off-level -- two either side, and a green one in the middle for level. It only levels one axis so you would need two for normal levelling. One obvious use is for levelling pole panoramas, so you could look up and see quickly if the camera is level. You could easily mount them so you could see the leds from below.
            >
            > Peter M
            Hhm, why not simply use an analog one like I do? For example one of
            these: *http://tinyurl.com/n2xsgf. Costs only a fraction of the digital
            one and allows you to level more than axis at the same time.

            Best regards, Philipp
            *

            ------------------------------------

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2009
              I bought one on eBay also. It's cheap but I don't
              think it's completely accurate.

              I compared what it said was level to a
              more expensive hardware store bought level and there
              was a difference. I suspect the cheaper one is less
              accurate.

              RobLee wrote:
              > I bought hot shoe levels on ebay for $5 including shipping

            • Uri Cogan
              Message 6 of 10 , May 31, 2009
                Ken Warner wrote:

                > I bought one on eBay also. It's cheap but I don't
                > think it's completely accurate.
                >
                > I compared what it said was level to a
                > more expensive hardware store bought level and there
                > was a difference. I suspect the cheaper one is less
                > accurate.

                Yes. I too bought a cheap transparent "cube" level that turned out to be
                useless.
              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Quoting Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...>:

                  > or you can use one of the iphone apps that can make your phone into a
                  > digital level :)

                  I'm not completely clued up on this but I think new iphone will have gps tied to
                  photos. so gps exif can be automagically applied to "proper" camera photos by
                  comparing time stamp.

                  regards

                  mick

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009

                      > I noticed in my local camera store this new gadget --- a digital camera level -- and it seems to be plenty handy and accurate, but too pricey for a casual purchase.
                      > http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4079.htm
                      > There are 5 leds -- four red ones for off-level -- two either side, and a green one in the middle for level. It only levels one axis so you would need two for normal levelling. One obvious use is for levelling pole panoramas, so you could look up and see quickly if the camera is level. You could easily mount them so you could see the leds from below.
                      >
                      > Peter M

                      I've bought a couple of these now. Tip 1: dont lose the instruction sheet. Tip 2: if the zero calibration isnt working -- change the batteries.

                      It is possible to change the sensitivity on them from high to low. High sensitivity is very high. If the camera is at eye level on a monopod say, and the level is set to high sensitivity, then the range of horizontal motion on the monopod top where the level still shows green is approximately one cm. So this is good enough accuracy with two sensors at right angles (tilt and roll) for most monopod shot panoramas I think.

                      I will make a clamp so I can mount two on my monopod a little below eyelevel. The big advantages over analog levels are you can see them in the dark, you dont have to be standing over them, so you can avoid some shadow issues with monopod-shot panoramas, and mostly they would be more accurate than analog levels.

                      Peter M