Help making masks in TIF files ...

  • Roberto Gomez Torres
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hello Pals,

      I need a little help here.

      I am working with 16 bit TIF pictures (usually made with Photomatix for
      bracketing suport).
      I add them to my PTGui project.
      I know I can make some alpha masks inside those TIF files in Photoshop in
      order to choose an area to be marked out of the stitch and indicate to
      Smartblend to cut that area in the final blend.

      I finally bought a copy of Photoshop CS2.
      I use the Lasso Tool or the Polygonal Lasso Tool to choose and mark the area
      I want to exclude from the panorama.

      Then ... What should I do in order to create and save the mask within the 16
      bit TIF picture ?

      Please let me know. And thank you so much in advance.
      Best regards from Mexico City.

      I am using PTGui 6.0.2.
      Smatblend 1.2.2
      Windows XP Pro
      ======================
      Roberto Gómez Torres
      Tiempo Digital
      Mexico City, Mexico
      www.tiempo-digital.com
      ======================
    • Yiorgos Teo
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roberto Gomez Torres"
        <roberto@...> wrote:

        > Hello Pals,
        >
        > I need a little help here.

        After you select the area you want to exclude, from the
        menu click Select > Inverse

        So your selection is now the area you want to include.
        Now go Select > Save Selection and just type a name for
        the selection (I use Alpha1) and click OK. You have created
        an alpha channel.

        Saludos desde Grecia,

        Yiorgos
        http://www.Hellas.net
      • Tim Hatch
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
          > Then ... What should I do in order to create and save the mask
          > within the 16
          > bit TIF picture ?

          If your tiff already has an alpha channel, then it will show up as a
          4th channel in the "Channels" palette (by default it's a tab by
          Layers). If you pick the alpha mask, then you'll be drawing in it.
          Either ctrl+Bksp or alt+Bksp will then fill your selection with white/
          black as desired. You can have the alpha channel and RGB visible at
          the same time, and the mask will show up as a red semitransparent
          overlay. This gives you more direct control than just saving the
          selection, however requires you to have an alpha channel in place
          (add one if you don't already have it).

          Tim
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
            <roberto@...> wrote:

            > I use the Lasso Tool or the Polygonal Lasso Tool to choose and mark
            > the area I want to exclude from the panorama.

            As usual, there are several ways to do this, and it is sometimes easier
            to create the mask by painting with a brush rather than using selection
            tools. To do this, go to the Channels palette:

            Second icon from the right at the bottom is the create new channel icon.
            Click on this icon while holding down the shift key. This will create
            your new alpha channel filled with white and will be displayed in your
            image window.

            Now click on the eye of the rgb channel in the channels palette. The
            main image will appear in the image window, but the alpha channel
            remains selected as the active channel.

            Select black as the foreground colour and paint the areas you want to
            mask with a hard edged brush. They will appear as a red overlay.

            Save the tiff file and you're done.

            John