Re: 50D X 500D ? Which one?

  • yuval_levy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rodolpho Pajuaba <rpajuaba@...> wrote:
      > The big, HUGE point of advantage of the 500D it's the
      > possibility of capturing movie clips;

      what will you use the movies clips for?

      the form factor / usage dynamics and in the end usability is much different than a camcorder.

      technically,
      20 FPS @ 1920x1080? no good.
      30 FPS @ 1280x720 has its applications, but is worth considerably less.

      I tried a few things and ended buying a dedicated camcorder. <http://panospace.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/the-most-beautiful-smile-in-the-world/>

      Will upgrade the dedicated camera later, when needed, and if it has extra movie clips functionality, why not, but the feature won't have that much weight in the decision.

      You may also consider a 100$ 1280x720 camcorder to compensate for the lack of movie function. A lot is possible with them, check <http://river-valley.tv/pitivi-an-overview-of-a-foss-video-editors-history-and-design/>

      Looking at the specs of the 50D vs. 500D, the choice is very difficult. In my situation, the pre-investment in plenty of CF-memory would draw me to the 50D; the specs (weight!) to the 500D. If the movie function was important to me, I'd wait to see the 50D successor, although IMO Canon has an interest not to give it movie functionality. Market segmentation.

      Whatever you decide, remember that the most important factor is not the tool, is the use that you make of it.

      Yuv
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2009
        >Looking at the specs of the 50D vs. 500D, the choice is very difficult. In
        >my situation, the pre-investment in plenty of CF-memory would draw me to
        >the 50D; the specs (weight!) to the 500D. If the movie function was
        >important to me, I'd wait to see the 50D successor, although IMO Canon has
        >an interest not to give it movie functionality. Market segmentation.

        You might want to check out this site for rumors regarding future hardware:

        <http://www.canonrumors.com/>

        They have a pretty high success rate in getting advance information that
        turns out to be accurate. According to their sources, the upcoming 60D will
        have movie mode.

        Mark
        www.pinnacle-vr.com
        www.northernlight.net
        www.360cities.net
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2009
          Sometime around 28/5/09 (at 14:37 +0000) yuval_levy said:

          >30 FPS @ 1280x720 has its applications, but is worth considerably less.

          What it *does* give you is a video camera system (of sorts) that has
          the potential for much higher-quality optics than most 'true' video
          things this side of ex-pen-sive.

          But it isn't a normal video camera by any means. I'm not currently
          convinced that the ergonomic (form factor) difference is significant
          in use, but I'm not convinced that it isn't either.

        • Rodolpho Pajuaba
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
            Hello, folks,
            To all who responded, here and off-list, a big thank you. It helped me
            a lot in my choice. Now, if I may, another question: it seems
            imposible to find this lens here in Brussels :-( , and, as I'm going
            to spend the next weekend in Paris, I'd like to know if and where I
            can find it. Does any one of you Paris panographers know it, please?
            Of course, if we can arrange a meeting it would be nice too, but I
            can't say anything for sure, as it's a trip for the wife, and as
            always she's the boss ;-) .
            Thanks a lot in advance,
            Rodolpho Pajuaba