50D X 500D ? Which one?

  • Rodolpho Pajuaba
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28 6:58 AM
      Hello, folks, I hope you can help me. I know it's a personal choice,
      but I respect the opinion of the group. I'm in the process of purchase
      a new camera, and I'm measuring the pro's and con's of these ones, 50D
      and 500D. The big, HUGE point of advantage of the 500D it's the
      possibility of capturing movie clips; I can find it for about 1.400
      euros with the 17-85mm lens (the kit lens is out of question, will be
      put aside forever), and I found the 50D for 1.200 euros with the same
      lens. Do you think it's worth it the difference? I mean, I know that
      it's nice to have this possibility, but on the other hand, is the 50D
      better built enough (this is the only difference I can see) to justify
      the lack of movie? I already have the opinion of Pat, which will be
      seriously taken, but this new piece of the puzzle (the 1.200 euros
      50D) changed things a little.
      Thanks a lot in advance,
      Rodolpho Pajuaba
    • yuval_levy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28 7:37 AM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rodolpho Pajuaba <rpajuaba@...> wrote:
        > The big, HUGE point of advantage of the 500D it's the
        > possibility of capturing movie clips;

        what will you use the movies clips for?

        the form factor / usage dynamics and in the end usability is much different than a camcorder.

        technically,
        20 FPS @ 1920x1080? no good.
        30 FPS @ 1280x720 has its applications, but is worth considerably less.

        I tried a few things and ended buying a dedicated camcorder. <http://panospace.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/the-most-beautiful-smile-in-the-world/>

        Will upgrade the dedicated camera later, when needed, and if it has extra movie clips functionality, why not, but the feature won't have that much weight in the decision.

        You may also consider a 100$ 1280x720 camcorder to compensate for the lack of movie function. A lot is possible with them, check <http://river-valley.tv/pitivi-an-overview-of-a-foss-video-editors-history-and-design/>

        Looking at the specs of the 50D vs. 500D, the choice is very difficult. In my situation, the pre-investment in plenty of CF-memory would draw me to the 50D; the specs (weight!) to the 500D. If the movie function was important to me, I'd wait to see the 50D successor, although IMO Canon has an interest not to give it movie functionality. Market segmentation.

        Whatever you decide, remember that the most important factor is not the tool, is the use that you make of it.

        Yuv
      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28 8:01 AM
          >Looking at the specs of the 50D vs. 500D, the choice is very difficult. In
          >my situation, the pre-investment in plenty of CF-memory would draw me to
          >the 50D; the specs (weight!) to the 500D. If the movie function was
          >important to me, I'd wait to see the 50D successor, although IMO Canon has
          >an interest not to give it movie functionality. Market segmentation.

          You might want to check out this site for rumors regarding future hardware:

          <http://www.canonrumors.com/>

          They have a pretty high success rate in getting advance information that
          turns out to be accurate. According to their sources, the upcoming 60D will
          have movie mode.

          Mark
          www.pinnacle-vr.com
          www.northernlight.net
          www.360cities.net
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28 11:17 AM
            Sometime around 28/5/09 (at 14:37 +0000) yuval_levy said:

            >30 FPS @ 1280x720 has its applications, but is worth considerably less.

            What it *does* give you is a video camera system (of sorts) that has
            the potential for much higher-quality optics than most 'true' video
            things this side of ex-pen-sive.

            But it isn't a normal video camera by any means. I'm not currently
            convinced that the ergonomic (form factor) difference is significant
            in use, but I'm not convinced that it isn't either.

          • Rodolpho Pajuaba
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
              Hello, folks,
              To all who responded, here and off-list, a big thank you. It helped me
              a lot in my choice. Now, if I may, another question: it seems
              imposible to find this lens here in Brussels :-( , and, as I'm going
              to spend the next weekend in Paris, I'd like to know if and where I
              can find it. Does any one of you Paris panographers know it, please?
              Of course, if we can arrange a meeting it would be nice too, but I
              can't say anything for sure, as it's a trip for the wife, and as
              always she's the boss ;-) .
              Thanks a lot in advance,
              Rodolpho Pajuaba