Pangea on i-Phone

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2009
      I got an i-Phone last Saturday, and today I fitted the WiFi unit needed
      for it to communicate with my computer and the Internet without
      outrageous packet-rate charges.

      One of the applications I downloaded was Pangea VR for Panoramas.

      Can panorama files be stored on the i-Phone to avoid having to
      download them each time?

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2009

        > I got an i-Phone last Saturday, and today I fitted the WiFi unit needed
        > for it to communicate with my computer and the Internet without
        > outrageous packet-rate charges.
        >
        > One of the applications I downloaded was Pangea VR for Panoramas.
        >
        > Can panorama files be stored on the i-Phone to avoid having to
        > download them each time?

        Yes if you buy the PRO application.

        Hans
      • Henri Smeets
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2009
          Indeed the Pro Application can do that ( €7.99 or $9.99 I think)
          Unfortunately when you download the panorama's you don't get the description
          and Thumbnail preview just a list of all panos.

          Alternatively you can use CubeWorld (free) but not too well supported in the
          pano world.

          I have both on my iPhone and use it a lot to show my panos to potential
          clients, friends and family, really love it!

          http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/dxdx/image/264/30374-272-408.png
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2009
            On Thu, 28 May 2009 20:47:34 +0900, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> I got an i-Phone last Saturday, and today I fitted the WiFi unit needed
            >> for it to communicate with my computer and the Internet without
            >> outrageous packet-rate charges.
            >>
            >> One of the applications I downloaded was Pangea VR for Panoramas.
            >>
            >> Can panorama files be stored on the i-Phone to avoid having to
            >> download them each time?
            >
            > Yes if you buy the PRO application.

            Thank you, Hans. That option is not offered in Japan, and I just noticed
            a strange condition to sales at the Apple store. Purchase of applications
            only entitles their use within Japan, not overseas, and Apple reserves
            the right to use technology to confirm whether this condition is being
            broken. Wonder what THAT'S about in a phone that is supposed to be able
            to "roam" internationally.

            Roger W.

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2009
              On Thu, 28 May 2009 21:14:08 +0900, Henri Smeets <henri@...> wrote:

              > Indeed the Pro Application can do that ( €7.99 or $9.99 I think)
              > Unfortunately when you download the panorama's you don't get the
              > description
              > and Thumbnail preview just a list of all panos.
              >
              > Alternatively you can use CubeWorld (free) but not too well supported in
              > the
              > pano world.
              >
              > I have both on my iPhone and use it a lot to show my panos to potential
              > clients, friends and family, really love it!
              >
              > http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/dxdx/image/264/30374-272-408.png

              Thank you, Henri. I guess Cube World relies on cubic format for QT VR?

              Anyway, I'll look into it. At the moment my WiFi connection has gone
              down for no apparent reason. Frustrating.

              Roger

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2009
                Sometime around 28/5/09 (at 05:14 -0700) Henri Smeets said:

                >Alternatively you can use CubeWorld (free) but not too well supported in the
                >pano world.

                Both PangeaVR and CubeWorld are good first-round efforts at doing
                this. Both could be improved, but they do the job.

                CubeWorld works with cubefaces rather than equirects. Each cubeface
                graphic can be 1024x1024px, whereas equirects for PangeaVR can be up
                to 1024x2048. This means that CubeWorld-displayed panos can reach
                slightly higher resolutions. However, it is less well documented.