OT?: Shake your Nikon 10.5mm...

  • Peter Braatz
    Message 1 of 11 , May 27, 2009
      Hi everybody,
      just a small (but worldwide?) test: could you please shake your Nikon Fisheye 10.5mm GENTLY!!! in axial direction (the way the light falls in). Do you hear a "rattling" noise? Or anything else?

      I got my 10.5 back from Nikon repair service today. I sent it there because i had the feeling that a lens inside the objective was loose. There is a noise when i shake it gently and i can "feel" something loose inside. It came back unrepaired and with the comment that "there was nothing wrong with it". I do not feel very comfortable with that.

      Thank you for a short feedback.
      Peter/360pixel.de
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 11 , May 27, 2009
        I believe Nikon service is correct.

        Shame on you rattle obsessed.

        Ever see the images taken with a smashed lens?

        I stopped worry about a lot of stuff after seeing them and only worry about
        dirt/smudges now.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 11 , May 27, 2009
          > I believe Nikon service is correct.
          > Shame on you rattle obsessed.
          > Ever see the images taken with a smashed lens?
          > I stopped worry about a lot of stuff after seeing them and only worry about
          > dirt/smudges now.

          Thanks for the encouragement :-)

          Of course i tested two other lenses (Nikon 10.5mm) before sending it to Nikon. They both had some noise but the "feeling" was different: there only was a little noise - but not the feeling that something is really loose inside and moves 1 or 2 mm...
          Well, i will try to phone them tomorrow...

          Cheers - Peter
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 11 , May 27, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Braatz" <panotools@...> wrote:

            > just a small (but worldwide?) test: could you please shake your Nikon Fisheye 10.5mm GENTLY!!! in axial direction (the way the light falls in). Do you hear a "rattling" noise?

            Yes, mine's the same.

            John
          • Eduardo Hutter
            Message 5 of 11 , May 27, 2009
              Yep, same here.

              Eduardo

              * John Houghton wrote, On 27/05/2009 6:16 PM:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Peter Braatz"
              > <panotools@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > just a small (but worldwide?) test: could you please shake your
              > > Nikon Fisheye 10.5mm GENTLY!!! in axial direction (the way the
              > > light falls in). Do you hear a "rattling" noise?
              >
              > Yes, mine's the same.
              >
              > John
            • Eduardo Hutter
              Message 6 of 11 , May 27, 2009
                Peter, I just uploaded two recordings from the rattle noise my 10.5 does.

                They were done "hearing" from side and front of the lens.

                shake_the_fish_side.mp3 and shake_the_fish_front.mp3, at the files
                section on Yahoo

                * Peter Braatz wrote, On 27/05/2009 5:57 PM:

                > Hi everybody, just a small (but worldwide?) test: could you please
                > shake your Nikon Fisheye 10.5mm GENTLY!!! in axial direction (the way
                > the light falls in). Do you hear a "rattling" noise? Or anything
                > else?
              • michaelbajko
                Message 7 of 11 , May 27, 2009
                  Yes, really does rattle, and feel like something's loose!
                  Have never noticed it before.
                  I had the front element replaced early last year.
                  Had no problems shooting with it since though.
                  Michael
                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 27, 2009
                    On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Eduardo Hutter
                    <admForum@...>wrote:

                    > Peter, I just uploaded two recordings from the rattle noise my 10.5 does.
                    > They were done "hearing" from side and front of the lens.
                    > shake_the_fish_side.mp3 and shake_the_fish_front.mp3,

                    NO WAY !!!!
                    hehehehehehehe
                    :-) )))))))

                    I heard the sound files :-)
                    I do not believe it is real !!!
                    this is so funny :-)

                    thanks Eduardo :-)

                    cheers
                    AYRTON

                    > at the files
                    > section on Yahoo
                    >
                    > * Peter Braatz wrote, On 27/05/2009 5:57 PM:
                    > >

                    > > Hi everybody, just a small (but worldwide?) test: could you please
                    > > shake your Nikon Fisheye 10.5mm GENTLY!!! in axial direction (the way
                    > > the light falls in). Do you hear a "rattling" noise? Or anything
                    > > else?

                  • Eduardo Hutter
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 27, 2009
                      Yes, it's weird, eh?

                      When I first bought the lens I was worried and start wondering if there
                      was something wrong, after a while I got used to it.

                      abs,

                      Eduardo

                      * AYRTON wrote, On 27/05/2009 11:25 PM:

                      > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Eduardo Hutter
                      > <admForum@...
                      > <mailto:admForum%40brasmontreal.net>>wrote:
                      >
                      > > Peter, I just uploaded two recordings from the rattle noise my 10.5
                      > > does. They were done "hearing" from side and front of the lens.
                      > > shake_the_fish_side.mp3 and shake_the_fish_front.mp3,
                      >
                      > NO WAY !!!! hehehehehehehe :-) )))))))
                      >
                      > I heard the sound files :-) I do not believe it is real !!! this is
                      > so funny :-)
                      >
                      > thanks Eduardo :-)
                      >
                      > cheers AYRTON
                    • Peter Braatz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Hutter <admForum@...> wrote:

                        > Peter, I just uploaded two recordings from the rattle noise my 10.5 does.

                        Hi Eduardo, late but finally i checked your files and they sound very familiar. My 10.5mm sounds the same... Thank you very much for the effort!

                        Peter
                      • Alexander Feldmann
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2009
                          Hi,

                          I was a little worried after your message as my 10.5 makes the same noise,
                          but I have a chance to check at a dealer this weekend, and they had two
                          Nikkor 10.5 in stock and they both make the same sound, so it seems that is
                          how it has to be..

                          Alex

                          _____