Re: Movie Industry - 360° - Filmmakers Unite

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27 7:29 AM
      Let me give a word of warning here.

      I just finished a 3 month negotiation with one movie studio, working on some
      mega budget hollywood blockbuster type of movie. They needed a very large
      resolution spherical bracketed panorama. I found a great photographer,
      agreed on all technical aspects, shot some samples, and so on.

      When it came time to produce the final image, they came out with the tiny
      detail that despite the fact that we had produced stunning sample stitched
      images that exceeded their expectations, they were not able to give *any*
      money up front until the final image was produced and basically in their
      hands. This is not what you would expect from a multinational corporation.
      Some people might call it outrageous, other people might call it an outright
      scam.

      Anyway we were still open to the possibility that the panorama might be
      created anyway, as it would have value outside this particular sale. But as
      it turned out, the studio had "someone else" shoot it. I would take this to
      mean that they took the samples we produced for them, and had some cheaper
      person try their best to meet that quality. It was a huge waste of time for
      this photographer, and myself.

      As much as I am tempted to name names here, I won't. Maybe I will work with
      these people in the future (although I will certainly be more wary of doing
      anything upfront whatsoever).

      So, be careful, folks. The Movie industry might have some high-paying gigs
      but they might just as easily waste your time. Don't let those bright lights
      and flashy dreams blind your good judgment.

      Jeffrey Martin

      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
      http://twitter.com/360cities

    • Robert Fisher
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27 8:20 AM
        Hi Jeffrey
        Welcome to Hollywood!
        It's very difficult to do anything in Hollywood without the proper
        connections. I have been trying to promote VR here for almost 10
        years with varying degrees of success. They aren't interested until
        they are interested. All I can say is to be careful and cover your a*#
        $ when dealing with movie companies.

        On May 27, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

        > Let me give a word of warning here.
        >
        > I just finished a 3 month negotiation with one movie studio,
        > working on some
        > mega budget hollywood blockbuster type of movie. They needed a very
        > large
        > resolution spherical bracketed panorama. I found a great photographer,
        > agreed on all technical aspects, shot some samples, and so on.
        >
        > When it came time to produce the final image, they came out with
        > the tiny
        > detail that despite the fact that we had produced stunning sample
        > stitched
        > images that exceeded their expectations, they were not able to give
        > *any*
        > money up front until the final image was produced and basically in
        > their
        > hands. This is not what you would expect from a multinational
        > corporation.
        > Some people might call it outrageous, other people might call it an
        > outright
        > scam.
        >
        > Anyway we were still open to the possibility that the panorama
        > might be
        > created anyway, as it would have value outside this particular
        > sale. But as
        > it turned out, the studio had "someone else" shoot it. I would take
        > this to
        > mean that they took the samples we produced for them, and had some
        > cheaper
        > person try their best to meet that quality. It was a huge waste of
        > time for
        > this photographer, and myself.
        >
        > As much as I am tempted to name names here, I won't. Maybe I will
        > work with
        > these people in the future (although I will certainly be more wary
        > of doing
        > anything upfront whatsoever).
        >
        > So, be careful, folks. The Movie industry might have some high-
        > paying gigs
        > but they might just as easily waste your time. Don't let those
        > bright lights
        > and flashy dreams blind your good judgment.
        >
        > Jeffrey Martin
        >
        > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
        > http://twitter.com/360cities

        Cheers
        Robert Fisher
        VR Photography / Cinematography

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27 10:58 AM
          JeffreyI always ask 50% up front in all my estimates :-)
          and 50% on delivery of final files

          So I'm covered

          Also I'm shooting the making-of AND only two HDRi for CG work

          best
          AYRTON

          On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...>wrote:

          > Let me give a word of warning here.
          >
          > I just finished a 3 month negotiation with one movie studio, working on
          > some
          > mega budget hollywood blockbuster type of movie. They needed a very large
          > resolution spherical bracketed panorama. I found a great photographer,
          > agreed on all technical aspects, shot some samples, and so on.
          >
          > When it came time to produce the final image, they came out with the tiny
          > detail that despite the fact that we had produced stunning sample stitched
          > images that exceeded their expectations, they were not able to give *any*
          > money up front until the final image was produced and basically in their
          > hands. This is not what you would expect from a multinational corporation.
          > Some people might call it outrageous, other people might call it an
          > outright
          > scam.
          >
          > Anyway we were still open to the possibility that the panorama might be
          > created anyway, as it would have value outside this particular sale. But as
          > it turned out, the studio had "someone else" shoot it. I would take this to
          > mean that they took the samples we produced for them, and had some cheaper
          > person try their best to meet that quality. It was a huge waste of time for
          > this photographer, and myself.
          >
          > As much as I am tempted to name names here, I won't. Maybe I will work with
          > these people in the future (although I will certainly be more wary of doing
          > anything upfront whatsoever).
          >
          > So, be careful, folks. The Movie industry might have some high-paying gigs
          > but they might just as easily waste your time. Don't let those bright
          > lights
          > and flashy dreams blind your good judgment.
          >

          > Jeffrey Martin
          >
          > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
          > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
          > http://twitter.com/360cities

        • blochonsen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27 4:10 PM
            This story doesn't surprise me at all. As a VFX artist, we were doing a whole lot of upfront work, including actual shot sequences that 10 artists work on for three weeks, just to see the job go elsewhere. Happens all the time. Here is a good impression of the VFX vendors dealing with movie studios:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

            Blochi

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...> wrote:

            > Let me give a word of warning here.
            >
            > I just finished a 3 month negotiation with one movie studio, working on some
            > mega budget hollywood blockbuster type of movie. They needed a very large
            > resolution spherical bracketed panorama. I found a great photographer,
            > agreed on all technical aspects, shot some samples, and so on.
            >
            > When it came time to produce the final image, they came out with the tiny
            > detail that despite the fact that we had produced stunning sample stitched
            > images that exceeded their expectations, they were not able to give *any*
            > money up front until the final image was produced and basically in their
            > hands. This is not what you would expect from a multinational corporation.
            > Some people might call it outrageous, other people might call it an outright
            > scam.
            >
            > Anyway we were still open to the possibility that the panorama might be
            > created anyway, as it would have value outside this particular sale. But as
            > it turned out, the studio had "someone else" shoot it. I would take this to
            > mean that they took the samples we produced for them, and had some cheaper
            > person try their best to meet that quality. It was a huge waste of time for
            > this photographer, and myself.
            >
            > As much as I am tempted to name names here, I won't. Maybe I will work with
            > these people in the future (although I will certainly be more wary of doing
            > anything upfront whatsoever).
            >
            > So, be careful, folks. The Movie industry might have some high-paying gigs
            > but they might just as easily waste your time. Don't let those bright lights
            > and flashy dreams blind your good judgment.
            >

            > Jeffrey Martin
            >
            > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
            > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
            > http://twitter.com/360cities

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 5 , May 27 8:08 PM
              Jeffrey, that's exactly what you would expect from a large multinational
              corporation. How do you think the rich get rich. They use other peoples
              money and keep it until you wrestle it away from them. It's Darwinian
              Capitalism. The strong get stronger -- the weak fade away...