Re: [PanoToolsNG] Flat pano(zoomify)comments please?

  • Bruno Postle
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
      On Sun 01-Oct-2006 at 09:23 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

      > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
      > images, similar to Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's
      > always nice to know the alternatives..

      I quite like the CSS/javascript viewer Øyvind Kolås uses, though
      this does load the whole image into memory:

      http://pippin.gimp.org/gallery/panorama/

      --
      Bruno
    • Yiorgos Teo
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
        images, similar to
        > Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
        alternatives..

        There is an open source project IIPimage:
        http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

        The processing is done on the server and the image is
        served through either of two clients, one is java the other
        is in javascript.

        One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
        is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
        what kind of load it imposes on the server.

        Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
        blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
        in computer equipment, there is another open source project
        called VIPS:
        http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS

        It runs on Windoz and it can open and do basic processing
        of very large image files on low spec machines. I've used it
        on a couple of gigapixel panos I did and it worked fine
        on my Celeron 2GHz, 768MB RAM system. The image file was
        around 3GB.

        VIPS can be used from the command line or through NIP, its GUI.
        Not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either, especially
        if Photoshop refuses to open those large files.

        By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
        http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333

        It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
        the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
        in Zoomify.

        Cheers,

        Yiorgos
        http://www.Hellas.net
      • Roger Howard
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
          On Mon, October 2, 2006 10:00 am, Yiorgos Teo wrote:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
          > images, similar to
          >> Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
          > alternatives..
          >>

          > There is an open source project IIPimage:
          > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
          >
          > The processing is done on the server and the image is
          > served through either of two clients, one is java the other
          > is in javascript.

          Just an FYI, I worked with an IIP server - LivePicture Zoom Image Server,
          later renamed MGI and then iSeeMedia Zoom Server. We used several
          different client technologies with it...

          > One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
          > is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
          > what kind of load it imposes on the server.

          Frankly I'd expect Zoomify to be lighter - all the tiles are
          precomputed/created, rather than having to be extracted in realtime. In
          the end, it's just http traffic to small JPEG files, albeit lots of them -
          but that's not real different from IIP, except there's more processing on
          the server.

          With IIP servers, hwoever, there is possibly more you can do. I used our
          IIP server to apply sharpening, a basic gamma transform, and some other
          simple image transformations. With Zoomify, you get only what's already in
          the tiles.

          > Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
          > blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
          > in computer equipment, there is another open source project
          > called VIPS:
          > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
          >
          > It runs on Windoz and it can open and do basic processing
          > of very large image files on low spec machines. I've used it
          > on a couple of gigapixel panos I did and it worked fine
          > on my Celeron 2GHz, 768MB RAM system. The image file was
          > around 3GB.
          >
          > VIPS can be used from the command line or through NIP, its GUI.
          > Not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either, especially
          > if Photoshop refuses to open those large files.

          VIPS is a great tool for anyone working with huge image datasets... very
          neat app, with a good little community of very technical people supporting
          it.

          > By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
          > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333
          >
          > It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
          > the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
          > in Zoomify.

          Awesome!

          -Rh

          Note: This message is intended solely for consumption on
          PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com and any distribution elsewhere is
          unauthorized.
        • Michael Hansky
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
            > There is an open source project IIPimage:
            > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

            Thought this project was fallen alseep.....

            I have also such a IIP Server, a old MGI ZoomImageServer

            You can also take wrapped panoramas for zooming:

            http://www.zooming.de/demo/mainau/Palmenhaus_fpx.htm

            for flat images you can take a look at my homepage: www.inxs-media.de
            (go to menu "Zoom Images")

            Roger, you still use it ?

            Michael Hansky
          • Rick Drew
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
              I actually purchased the full version of Zoomify. I had a client that
              wanted his customers to zoom in and view individual components in his
              studio. By the time I was done shooting his control console, the file was
              over 1.5 gig. Impossible to use without Zoomify. You could actually zoom in
              to individual dials! After paying for the job, he changed the equipment! I
              kept part of the image though for demo use.

              I have several different samples at http://www.add360.com/zoomable/

              Rick Drew

            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                On 2 Oct 2006 at 17:07, Bruno Postle wrote:

                > On Sun 01-Oct-2006 at 09:23 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
                > > images, similar to Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's
                > > always nice to know the alternatives..
                >
                > I quite like the CSS/javascript viewer Øyvind Kolås uses, though
                > this does load the whole image into memory:

                Nice, but not as smooth, fast and versatile as Zoomify maybe?
                Thanks for the tip :)

                > http://pippin.gimp.org/gallery/panorama/
                --
                bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
                Kristiansand, Norway
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                  On 2 Oct 2006 at 17:00, Yiorgos Teo wrote:

                  > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                  > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
                  >
                  > The processing is done on the server and the image is
                  > served through either of two clients, one is java the other
                  > is in javascript.
                  >
                  > One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
                  > is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
                  > what kind of load it imposes on the server.

                  Thanks for the tip. I tested the demos, and the world map never showed up when I zoomed
                  into it. Te others worked, but not as fast as Zoomify. Besides I may have problems
                  installing the server at my web hotel I guess?
                  But maybe if I get some big clients with their own server?

                  > Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
                  > blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
                  > in computer equipment, there is another open source project
                  > called VIPS:
                  > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS

                  Interesting. I dl'ed it and will test it. I usually don't have problems opening files in
                  PS, but sometimes in AcDSee, which I also use for some simple image adjustments.

                  > By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
                  > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333
                  >
                  > It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
                  > the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
                  > in Zoomify.

                  Very nice :)
                  But where are all the people? I looked around, but couldn't find a single person on any
                  of all those roof tops? I guess I didn't check all of them... ;)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                    On 2 Oct 2006 at 19:34, Michael Hansky wrote:

                    > > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                    > > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
                    > >

                    > Thought this project was fallen alseep.....
                    >
                    > I have also such a IIP Server, a old MGI ZoomImageServer

                    But then you need full rights on the server? IOW it can't be done on a normal web hotel