Re: [PanoToolsNG] Flat pano(zoomify)comments please?

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
      On Mon, October 2, 2006 12:25 am, Flemming V. Larsen wrote:

> [...]

      Viewpoint Media Player is (was) a really neat player years back; I know I
      was working with it at least 5, if not 6, years ago when it was known as
      the MetaStream Player (from the same guys who brought us Bryce, Canoma,
      etc).

      It has had a powerful 3D engine from the start, and had a modular system
      of media handlers that could be loaded on the fly to enable lots of
      different functionality, formats, etc. Even 6 years ago the sucker was
      fast for 3D, and could do some really neat composite multimedia, like
      mapping Flash to 3D surfaces.

      It's a shame it didn't get bought up by Macromedia for inclusion into
      Flash, but at the time it was more competitive with Shockwave for
      Director. For 2D zoomable images I don't think it's nearly as compelling
      as Flash, simply because Flash is Flash. For any other use I'm just amazed
      it's still around - it definitely doesn't have the kind of support we'd
      hoped for back when!

      -Rh
    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
        On Sun 01-Oct-2006 at 09:23 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

        > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
        > images, similar to Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's
        > always nice to know the alternatives..

        I quite like the CSS/javascript viewer Øyvind Kolås uses, though
        this does load the whole image into memory:

        http://pippin.gimp.org/gallery/panorama/

        --
        Bruno
      • Yiorgos Teo
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
          images, similar to
          > Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
          alternatives..

          There is an open source project IIPimage:
          http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

          The processing is done on the server and the image is
          served through either of two clients, one is java the other
          is in javascript.

          One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
          is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
          what kind of load it imposes on the server.

          Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
          blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
          in computer equipment, there is another open source project
          called VIPS:
          http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS

          It runs on Windoz and it can open and do basic processing
          of very large image files on low spec machines. I've used it
          on a couple of gigapixel panos I did and it worked fine
          on my Celeron 2GHz, 768MB RAM system. The image file was
          around 3GB.

          VIPS can be used from the command line or through NIP, its GUI.
          Not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either, especially
          if Photoshop refuses to open those large files.

          By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
          http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333

          It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
          the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
          in Zoomify.

          Cheers,

          Yiorgos
          http://www.Hellas.net
        • Roger Howard
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
            On Mon, October 2, 2006 10:00 am, Yiorgos Teo wrote:
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
            > images, similar to
            >> Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
            > alternatives..
            >>

            > There is an open source project IIPimage:
            > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
            >
            > The processing is done on the server and the image is
            > served through either of two clients, one is java the other
            > is in javascript.

            Just an FYI, I worked with an IIP server - LivePicture Zoom Image Server,
            later renamed MGI and then iSeeMedia Zoom Server. We used several
            different client technologies with it...

            > One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
            > is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
            > what kind of load it imposes on the server.

            Frankly I'd expect Zoomify to be lighter - all the tiles are
            precomputed/created, rather than having to be extracted in realtime. In
            the end, it's just http traffic to small JPEG files, albeit lots of them -
            but that's not real different from IIP, except there's more processing on
            the server.

            With IIP servers, hwoever, there is possibly more you can do. I used our
            IIP server to apply sharpening, a basic gamma transform, and some other
            simple image transformations. With Zoomify, you get only what's already in
            the tiles.

            > Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
            > blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
            > in computer equipment, there is another open source project
            > called VIPS:
            > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
            >
            > It runs on Windoz and it can open and do basic processing
            > of very large image files on low spec machines. I've used it
            > on a couple of gigapixel panos I did and it worked fine
            > on my Celeron 2GHz, 768MB RAM system. The image file was
            > around 3GB.
            >
            > VIPS can be used from the command line or through NIP, its GUI.
            > Not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either, especially
            > if Photoshop refuses to open those large files.

            VIPS is a great tool for anyone working with huge image datasets... very
            neat app, with a good little community of very technical people supporting
            it.

            > By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
            > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333
            >
            > It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
            > the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
            > in Zoomify.

            Awesome!

            -Rh

            Note: This message is intended solely for consumption on
            PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com and any distribution elsewhere is
            unauthorized.
          • Michael Hansky
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
              > There is an open source project IIPimage:
              > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

              Thought this project was fallen alseep.....

              I have also such a IIP Server, a old MGI ZoomImageServer

              You can also take wrapped panoramas for zooming:

              http://www.zooming.de/demo/mainau/Palmenhaus_fpx.htm

              for flat images you can take a look at my homepage: www.inxs-media.de
              (go to menu "Zoom Images")

              Roger, you still use it ?

              Michael Hansky
            • Rick Drew
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                I actually purchased the full version of Zoomify. I had a client that
                wanted his customers to zoom in and view individual components in his
                studio. By the time I was done shooting his control console, the file was
                over 1.5 gig. Impossible to use without Zoomify. You could actually zoom in
                to individual dials! After paying for the job, he changed the equipment! I
                kept part of the image though for demo use.

                I have several different samples at http://www.add360.com/zoomable/

                Rick Drew

              • Bjørn K Nilssen
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                  On 2 Oct 2006 at 17:07, Bruno Postle wrote:

                  > On Sun 01-Oct-2006 at 09:23 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
                  > > images, similar to Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's
                  > > always nice to know the alternatives..
                  >
                  > I quite like the CSS/javascript viewer Øyvind Kolås uses, though
                  > this does load the whole image into memory:

                  Nice, but not as smooth, fast and versatile as Zoomify maybe?
                  Thanks for the tip :)

                  > http://pippin.gimp.org/gallery/panorama/
                  --
                  bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
                  Kristiansand, Norway
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                    On 2 Oct 2006 at 17:00, Yiorgos Teo wrote:

                    > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                    > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
                    >
                    > The processing is done on the server and the image is
                    > served through either of two clients, one is java the other
                    > is in javascript.
                    >
                    > One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
                    > is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
                    > what kind of load it imposes on the server.

                    Thanks for the tip. I tested the demos, and the world map never showed up when I zoomed
                    into it. Te others worked, but not as fast as Zoomify. Besides I may have problems
                    installing the server at my web hotel I guess?
                    But maybe if I get some big clients with their own server?

                    > Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
                    > blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
                    > in computer equipment, there is another open source project
                    > called VIPS:
                    > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS

                    Interesting. I dl'ed it and will test it. I usually don't have problems opening files in
                    PS, but sometimes in AcDSee, which I also use for some simple image adjustments.

                    > By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
                    > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333
                    >
                    > It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
                    > the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
                    > in Zoomify.

                    Very nice :)
                    But where are all the people? I looked around, but couldn't find a single person on any
                    of all those roof tops? I guess I didn't check all of them... ;)

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                      On 2 Oct 2006 at 19:34, Michael Hansky wrote:

                      > > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                      > > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
                      > >

                      > Thought this project was fallen alseep.....
                      >
                      > I have also such a IIP Server, a old MGI ZoomImageServer

                      But then you need full rights on the server? IOW it can't be done on a normal web hotel