Pano2VR and krpano?

  • Robert Slade
    Message 1 of 22 , May 21, 2009
      Hi all,

      I've been using Pano2VR from GardenGnome software, very easy to use and
      very happy with it.

      But now a customer has asked for a gigapixel pano/virtual tour which I
      don't think can be done with Pano2VR, or can it?

      How easy is it to set up the gigapixel pano in krpano? Like this one:
      http://www.harlem-13-gigapixels.com/
      where you can zoom in to see amazing fine detail, but without loading
      the huge image file all at once.

      Thanks,
      Rob

      --
      Robert Slade, Photographer
      Manor Photography 07890 564889
      Message 2 of 22 , May 21, 2009
        >>How easy is it to set up the gigapixel pano in krpano? Like this one:
        >>http://www.harlem-13-gigapixels.com/
        <http://www.harlem-13-gigapixels.com/>
        >>where you can zoom in to see amazing fine detail, but without loading
        >>the huge image file all at once.

        krpano has a multi resolution capability which I think is what you would
        be after. You need to purchase the viewer for 30 euros and then the
        krpano tools are another 30 euros I believe. The process for creating
        the multi-res panos is easy. Basically, you just take your pano bitmap
        and drag and drop onto the appropriate tool executable. This creates
        sets of bitmaps at different resolutions along with a sample xml and
        html file.

        The only problem I have with the multi-res capability with krpano is
        that (at least to me) the default zoomed out view is not quite as crisp
        as the single resolution equivalent. Also, there's something about the
        projection which is also different (and not as good), although this may
        be correctable with more research. So for me the jury is out on this.

        Dave

      • robert_harshman
        Message 3 of 22 , May 21, 2009
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I've been using Pano2VR from GardenGnome software, very easy to use and
          > very happy with it.
          >
          > But now a customer has asked for a gigapixel pano/virtual tour which I
          > don't think can be done with Pano2VR, or can it?
          >
          > How easy is it to set up the gigapixel pano in krpano?

          It's super easy, just make sure you get the tools with KRPano and use Cubic's not EQ files as input and you'll be fine. XML is actually quite easy to edit for your needs.

          Here's a link to a couple that I've just done. Note the text link to the "ultra high resolution" ones. the "standard ones" (image links) were done with Pano2VR.

          http://www.robertharshman.com/arthouse

          Regards,

          Robert
        • Joergen Geerds
          Message 4 of 22 , May 21, 2009
            krpano has no problems with higher resolution panos, either VR from a equirect or cube faces, or from a flat pano (kr pano is assuming that this is just one cube face, and will not use any projection math on it.
            here is a 1.4gpx sample:http://luminous-newyork.com/img/2007-11-trump-tower/2007-11-Trump-Tower.html

            joergen
            Message 5 of 22 , May 21, 2009
              robert_harshman wrote:

              >> How easy is it to set up the gigapixel pano in krpano?
              >
              > It's super easy, just make sure you get the tools with KRPano and use Cubic's not EQ files as input and you'll be fine. XML is actually quite easy to edit for your needs.

              Thanks Robert - can I just check that you mean cube faces instead of
              equirectangular projections? Why is that?

              I do my stitching using PTGui, so I can't output cube faces directly
              (unless you mean the internal format of .mov files?)

              > Here's a link to a couple that I've just done. Note the text link to the "ultra high resolution" ones. the "standard ones" (image links) were done with Pano2VR.
              >
              > http://www.robertharshman.com/arthouse

              Very nice, I've been talking to a couple of galleries who might be
              interested in the super hi-res type of image for zooming in on the artwork.

              Regards,
              Robert

              Message 6 of 22 , May 21, 2009
                That's a stunning pano Joergen. How many images did you use to create
                it, and what stitching software?

                Regards,
                Robert
                --

                Message 7 of 22 , May 21, 2009
                  > Thanks Robert - can I just check that you mean cube faces instead of equirectangular projections? Why is that?

                  Yes, cube faces and KRPano tools includes a converter for your EQ file from PTGui.

                  Cube faces display better in KRPano, less work for the renderer to correct I guess.

                  Regards,

                  Robert
                • Ingemar Bergmark
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 22, 2009
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joergen Geerds
                    > <joergengeerds@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > krpano has no problems with higher resolution panos, either VR from
                    > a equirect or cube faces, or from a flat pano (kr pano is assuming
                    > that this is just one cube face, and will not use any projection math
                    > on it.

                    I've been looking for this functionality in a panoviewer, and I downloaded the latest version of krpano 1.0.7, but it didn't work for me.
                    It turned out to be that generating a multiresolution output for a flat pano needs the 1.0.8 beta version...

                    It's great. With this, there's no need for Zoomify any more...

                    / Ingemar
                    http://panoramas.bergmark.com
                  • Joergen Geerds
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 22, 2009
                      krpano also has another advantage over zoomify: while creating roughly the same amount of MB, krpano creates far less files: the UN pano that I posted had some 40000 jpgs in zoomify, but only 8000 jpgs with krpano, which makes it somewhat faster to upload, and also decreases the file access load on the webserver. in my case it also helped me to stay within my webserver quota: while I have almost unlimited space, my host has a 260000 files limit on my account... so replacing all my zoomifies with krpano enables me to put up  many more panos.
                      joergen

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 22, 2009
                        I was under the impression that krpano used the same format as zoomify, or
                        at least supported the system.

                        Does krpano use its own system and zoomifys.

                        Unfortunately, krmakemultres does not run on my server.

                        Sacha Griffin

                        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                        http://www.southern-digital.com

                        http://www.seeit360.net

                        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                        404-551-4275

                      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 22, 2009
                          Quoting Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...>:

                          > I was under the impression that krpano used the same format as zoomify, or
                          > at least supported the system.
                          >
                          > Does krpano use its own system and zoomifys.
                          >
                          > Unfortunately, krmakemultres does not run on my server.

                          I'm sure krpano can use zoomify tiles

                          mick

                        • Sacha Griffin
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 22, 2009
                            Yes, I know, but my point/question was, that if Krpano's version of tiling
                            is more efficient, then I should wait until its software works on my system
                            instead of using zoomify tiles which will eat up more server resources.

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 22, 2009
                              just to clarify:krpano can use the (small & inefficient) zoomify tiles/XML file, or it can create new ones (less files, same overall MB). since the krpanomakemultirez is so fast (30-60sec for a very large one), it makes almost no sense to keep the zoomify tiles.and yes, you need the latest 1.08 beta version.and yes, it run locally on your computer... why do you need krpanomakemultirez on your (web) server?
                              Joergen

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 22, 2009
                                Gotcha.

                                So the web server can manage my works. Uploading small files is a pain and
                                or duplicating steps to unzip, specify folders etc if all I need is to
                                upload a single file, title it, and organize it. Rather than hand make xml
                                etc.

                                Sacha Griffin

                                Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                http://www.southern-digital.com

                                http://www.seeit360.net

                                GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                                404-551-4275

                                just to clarify:krpano can use the (small & inefficient) zoomify tiles/XML
                                file, or it can create new ones (less files, same overall MB). since the
                                krpanomakemultirez is so fast (30-60sec for a very large one), it makes
                                almost no sense to keep the zoomify tiles.and yes, you need the latest 1.08
                                beta version.and yes, it run locally on your computer... why do you need
                                krpanomakemultirez on your (web) server?
                                Joergen

                                .

                                d=29440/stime=1243012976/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                              • Bernhard Vogl
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 23, 2009
                                  Hi Sacha,
                                  > So the web server can manage my works. Uploading small files is a pain and
                                  > or duplicating steps to unzip, specify folders etc if all I need is to
                                  > upload a single file, title it, and organize it. Rather than hand make xml
                                  > etc.

                                  Just to mention it: HDView ( and HDView SL) can work with a single
                                  zipped file uploaded to your server. As silverlight also works for Mac
                                  users this may be a viable alternative for you...

                                  Bernhard
                                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 23, 2009
                                    Quoting Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...>:

                                    > Just to mention it: HDView ( and HDView SL) can work with a single
                                    > zipped file uploaded to your server.

                                    Thanks for that, I didn't know.
                                    mick

                                    > Bernhard

                                  • Robert Slade
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 24, 2009
                                      Hi,

                                      I downloaded the trial version of krpano and dragged/dropped into
                                      kmakemultires an equi pano which worked really well.

                                      Then I dragged/dropped six cube faces (called cube_l.jpg, cube_r.jpg
                                      etc.) and ... nothing. Literally nothing happened.

                                      I tried again with the same files and using the command line. That
                                      worked. But I don't want to be using the command line when it's so much
                                      easier to drag/drop.

                                      I'm using Windows Vista. Any ideas why the drag/drop only works for the
                                      single files?

                                      Thanks,
                                      Rob

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 24, 2009
                                        hi robert,
                                        you need to drag all 6 cubefaces (make sure that each cubeface follows the right naming convention, or use the sphere to cube droplet to see what the naming convention is) at the same time onto the make multires pano droplet. or you can drop a single 360x180 file onto it. if you drop just a single cubeface, it wont work.you can also watch your terminal window where you can see what krpano is doing.
                                        i hope this helps
                                        joergen

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 24, 2009
                                          Hi Joergen,

                                          That's what I was trying to say ... I have done exactly as you described
                                          and dropped all six cube faces (correctly named) onto the desktop shortcut.

                                          If I drop an equi (one file) it's fine and generated the multires tiles
                                          and the SWF, html, xml files as expected.

                                          If I drop one or two cube faces, it gives an error (as expected).

                                          If I drop all six cube faces, nothing happens.

                                          Any ideas?

                                          Regards,
                                          Rob

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 24, 2009
                                            hi robert,
                                            i have no idea what is going wrong in your case... i work on a mac, and it just does exactly what it's supposed to do... did you removed elements from the krpano tools folder or did you move the droplets to a new place?
                                            if it's still not working, i would suggest to send a very detailed problem description, together with screenshots to klaus the developer and see if he can help you.
                                            good luck
                                            joergen

                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 25, 2009
                                              Hi Joergen,

                                              I think the shortcut is no good because there's no path to the other
                                              files. I can drag/drop to the executable in the Program Files folder,
                                              that is now working.

                                              I upgraded to 1.0.8beta7, now all my panos are black screens :-(

                                              Regards,
                                              Robert

                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 26, 2009
                                                Hi Joergen,

                                                I've done something very similar to what you suggest. I've unzipped both
                                                versions of krpano viewer and tools (up to 1.0.8 beta7) into "Program
                                                Files" and created a destop shortcut to those directories.

                                                Otherwise, my desktop would be too cluttered with all of those files!

                                                I've solved all of my issues (mostly my fault) with krpano, and have now
                                                paid the licence fee. I agree, it's well worth the money!

                                                I would be interested in some rough pointers on how you created the
                                                multires pano of the skyscrapers? So far, I have only worked out how to
                                                create a high-res virtual tour (via the 2:1 ratio equi or cube faces
                                                dragged and dropped into kmultires etc.)

                                                Regards,
                                                Rob