Where do i start

  • ensignredshirt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi All

      I was at an event on the weekend and decided to try my hand at making
      a QTVR pano. I did have proper pano head (nodal ninja), and it was set
      up for the lens i used (Canon EF-S 10-220 on my 20D. I ended up with
      26 images for the pano. (up/centre/down at 45deg increments, plus
      nadir and zenith shots)

      Where do I go from here?

      I took all the images as RAW, and have already equalised the white
      balance/exposure etc, but am a little stuck on how i should proceed.
      Should I stitch the 3 images i took at each angle, to get 8 "slices"
      and then stitch them?

      Little help?

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
        On Monday, October 02, 2006 at 9:29, ensignredshirt wrote:

        > Where do I go from here?
        >
        > I took all the images as RAW, and have already equalised the white
        > balance/exposure etc, but am a little stuck on how i should proceed.
        > Should I stitch the 3 images i took at each angle, to get 8 "slices"
        > and then stitch them?

        No, better to stitch them all at once. This way the stitching engine
        (whatever it is) can minimize errors between the images that would
        add up otherwise.

        > Little help?

        Little information! A bit hard to help that way... What software do
        you have, what experience? Did you do flat panos before?

        However, you should have a look at the wiki. Could well be you find
        anything you need there: http://wiki.panotools.org

        If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask here...

        best regards
        http://www.erik-krause.de/
      • Brent Tabor
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hey buddy,
          If you're at all like me creating quality panos will be like pulling
          teeth until you get the hang of it. The easiest way to begin is to find
          a method of stitching that you are comfortable with. I love adobe (dont
          get me wrong) but it is frankly a bit complicated. I prefer to use
          Microsoft Digital Image Pro (very user friendly.) Anyways dont bother
          stitching in sections, it wont work and takes way, way too long to perfect.
          If your 24 images wont stitch than that right there is your problem.
          Check your lens specs to get the perfect overlap. I use a rebel xti with
          the canon 10-22mm wide angle lens and I also need about 26 shots to
          complete an equirectangular pan. My first attempt refused to stitch even
          after hours of fiddling, so I reshot with the lens zoomed in just a
          touch and presto I had a perfect seamless stitch! Barrel distortion created
          when your lens is opened up all the way apparently does a number on
          stitching software. The down side of this is you have to take
          more shots to keep that precious 20% of overlap. A word of advice,
          visit Larry Lohrman's website at www.larrylohrman.wordpress.com and click
          the "about me" link. Then email him directly and ask him for advice. He
          got my foot in the door right about the time I was going bald from
          pulling my hair out! His site is very informative too.

          Does that help at all?
          Brent

          PS get yourself an 8 mm fisheye lens. Instead of 26 shots we're talkin 3 or 4.