Re: [PanoToolsNG] Flat pano(zoomify)comments please?

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
      From: "Bjørn K Nilssen" <
      :

      -------zip -------

      >... Do you know of any other viewers for large images, similar to
      > Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
      > alternatives..

      Hi Bjørn,

      In my PS CS there is an export format called Viewpoint which seems to work
      in a similar way as Zoomify.
      But I couldn't find much info about it on their website www.viewpoint.com -
      The current Viewpoint Media Player looks more like a 3D plugin.

      Anyone know more about it?

      - Flemming
    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
        On 2 Oct 2006 at 9:25, Flemming V. Larsen wrote:

        > >... Do you know of any other viewers for large images, similar to
        > > Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
        > > alternatives..
        >
        > Hi Bjørn,
        >
        > In my PS CS there is an export format called Viewpoint which seems to work
        > in a similar way as Zoomify.
        > But I couldn't find much info about it on their website www.viewpoint.com -
        > The current Viewpoint Media Player looks more like a 3D plugin.
        >
        > Anyone know more about it?

        Actually I used Viewpoint years ago. At that time Metacreations had developed a very nice
        3D viewer that had a quality way beyond what was possible with QT object movie, being
        able to show interactive animations and a lot more, like moving camera.
        Metacreations was so excited about this that they sold all their nice programs, like
        Canoma (bought and killed by Adobe), Fractal Design Painter (now Corel), Poser (still
        alive), Bryce etc, and teamed up with Viewpoint (who was the biggest supplier of 3D
        models) to focus solely on the new VET viewer technology. They decided to charge
        ridiculous licensing fees, changed their focus all the time, and now seems to have
        vanished almost completely? I never succeeded in convincing any of my clients to pay
        those fees, and they were also not happy because it was a PC-only solution at that time.
        I used a PS plugin from Viewpoint for a while that was able to convert a QTVR pano to a
        equirectangular image, but now that plugin is gone too.
        The Zoomview seems to have vanished too? There's no sign of it on their (unsearchable )
        web site. It may be part of Viewpoint Media Player, but that player turns out to not be
        compatible with Opera (which is my favorite browser), so I didn't even bother to download
        it. I want my web pages and content to be compatible with Opera...
        The Viewpoint/Metacreations story is a sad one IMO...

        I found a few links to Zoomview with a Google search on their site:
        Like www.viewpoint.com/zoomview/
        where you're supposed to buy a license for $1000 a year!
        There were actually more than 300 hits, but none of the ones I tried led to any relevant
        info - most of them led to 404 pages...
        It looks like Zoomview is dead and buried ...--
        bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
        Kristiansand, Norway
      • Robert Bilsland
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
          Bjørn

          I too have "dabbled" with creating hi-res zoomable views using
          zoomify. I was shooting at a local music festival and created 4 hi-res
          images over the weekend. You can see them all here
          http://panoramasunlimited.com/content/view/72/178/ , they are at
          various resolutions with the Sunday afternoon (
          http://panoramasunlimited.com/content/view/69/182/ ) being the highest
          at about 50,000 pixels wide by 6,000 pixels high from about 140 photos
          (If printed at 200dpi it would be over 20ft long and over 2ft high!).
          I don't have a printer good enough to print it myself but a relative
          works for a company with some pretty big printers, so finger crossed.

          Bob Bilsland.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...>
          wrote:

          > > Is this an acceptable way to show such panos?
          >
          > Oh, yes. I love that zoomify stuff.
          > Did some of these myself a year or so
          > http://www.schrader-air.de/zoomify/zement.htm
          > and will do some more from my last mountain trip.
          > So many pictures, so little time, sigh *g*
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Lately I've grown more interested in making flat and printable
          > panos.Wonder if it has
          > > anything to do with the 60" printer I got a couple of weeks ago ;) ?
          > > This pano is a row of houses. A long time go I gave up on using
          > hugin or PTgui for such
          > > panos, and neither could Panavue do the job-so this is all hand
          > stitched in PS/CS2.
          > > I made a Zoomify project of it, but I am not sure if that's the
          > best way to show such a
          > > pano on the web? It sliced it into 1093 small images, and it takes
          > along time to upload
          > > all those images!
          > > The original is about 20000x2500pxls, 20 shots with an Olympus C-50
          > in portrait mode.
          > > .
          > > Is this an acceptable way to show such panos?
          > > Does it take too long to download/show?
          > > Is the res enough (or too big?)
          > > Can you find any glaring stitching errors?
          > > It's kind of hard finding any when you've been looking at it for
          > several hours...
          > > The URL is http://bknilssen.no/pano/Zoom/ZppmWergelandsL.htm
          > > or http://bknilssen.no/pano/Zoom/ZppmWergelands.htm for a smaller
          > viewing window.
          > >
          > > TIA for all comments:)
          > > --
          > > bk@ // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
          > > Kristiansand, Norway

        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
            On 2 Oct 2006 at 10:46, Robert Bilsland wrote:

            > I too have "dabbled" with creating hi-res zoomable views using
            > zoomify. I was shooting at a local music festival and created 4 hi-res
            > images over the weekend. You can see them all here
            > http://panoramasunlimited.com/content/view/72/178/ , they are at
            > various resolutions with the Sunday afternoon (
            > http://panoramasunlimited.com/content/view/69/182/ ) being the highest
            > at about 50,000 pixels wide by 6,000 pixels high from about 140 photos

            Very nice :) And I thought my 30kx4k 120Mpix image was big ;)

            > (If printed at 200dpi it would be over 20ft long and over 2ft high!).
            > I don't have a printer good enough to print it myself but a relative
            > works for a company with some pretty big printers, so finger crossed.

            I would think that you could get away with a lot less than 200dpi for such a large image?
            My Novajet only prints at 600 dpi, but for such large images I think that it looks quite
            acceptable at 100ppi source image, or even less. It's nice to be able to walk close up
            and not lose too much detail though, like a Pieter Brueghel painting :)
            And like in your images with lots of people..
            If you want a big printer I'm quite sure you would be able to get one of these old Encads
            or similar quite cheap. I got mine for free, and it cost me $18 for new bushings (and a
            couple of hours of work) to get it in perfect working condition :)
            --
            bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
            Kristiansand, Norway
          • Roger Howard
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
              On Mon, October 2, 2006 12:25 am, Flemming V. Larsen wrote:

> [...]

              Viewpoint Media Player is (was) a really neat player years back; I know I
              was working with it at least 5, if not 6, years ago when it was known as
              the MetaStream Player (from the same guys who brought us Bryce, Canoma,
              etc).

              It has had a powerful 3D engine from the start, and had a modular system
              of media handlers that could be loaded on the fly to enable lots of
              different functionality, formats, etc. Even 6 years ago the sucker was
              fast for 3D, and could do some really neat composite multimedia, like
              mapping Flash to 3D surfaces.

              It's a shame it didn't get bought up by Macromedia for inclusion into
              Flash, but at the time it was more competitive with Shockwave for
              Director. For 2D zoomable images I don't think it's nearly as compelling
              as Flash, simply because Flash is Flash. For any other use I'm just amazed
              it's still around - it definitely doesn't have the kind of support we'd
              hoped for back when!

              -Rh
            • Bruno Postle
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                On Sun 01-Oct-2006 at 09:23 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

                > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
                > images, similar to Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's
                > always nice to know the alternatives..

                I quite like the CSS/javascript viewer Øyvind Kolås uses, though
                this does load the whole image into memory:

                http://pippin.gimp.org/gallery/panorama/

                --
                Bruno
              • Yiorgos Teo
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
                  images, similar to
                  > Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
                  alternatives..

                  There is an open source project IIPimage:
                  http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

                  The processing is done on the server and the image is
                  served through either of two clients, one is java the other
                  is in javascript.

                  One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
                  is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
                  what kind of load it imposes on the server.

                  Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
                  blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
                  in computer equipment, there is another open source project
                  called VIPS:
                  http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS

                  It runs on Windoz and it can open and do basic processing
                  of very large image files on low spec machines. I've used it
                  on a couple of gigapixel panos I did and it worked fine
                  on my Celeron 2GHz, 768MB RAM system. The image file was
                  around 3GB.

                  VIPS can be used from the command line or through NIP, its GUI.
                  Not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either, especially
                  if Photoshop refuses to open those large files.

                  By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
                  http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333

                  It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
                  the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
                  in Zoomify.

                  Cheers,

                  Yiorgos
                  http://www.Hellas.net
                • Roger Howard
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                    On Mon, October 2, 2006 10:00 am, Yiorgos Teo wrote:
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
                    > images, similar to
                    >> Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's always nice to know the
                    > alternatives..
                    >>

                    > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                    > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
                    >
                    > The processing is done on the server and the image is
                    > served through either of two clients, one is java the other
                    > is in javascript.

                    Just an FYI, I worked with an IIP server - LivePicture Zoom Image Server,
                    later renamed MGI and then iSeeMedia Zoom Server. We used several
                    different client technologies with it...

                    > One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
                    > is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
                    > what kind of load it imposes on the server.

                    Frankly I'd expect Zoomify to be lighter - all the tiles are
                    precomputed/created, rather than having to be extracted in realtime. In
                    the end, it's just http traffic to small JPEG files, albeit lots of them -
                    but that's not real different from IIP, except there's more processing on
                    the server.

                    With IIP servers, hwoever, there is possibly more you can do. I used our
                    IIP server to apply sharpening, a basic gamma transform, and some other
                    simple image transformations. With Zoomify, you get only what's already in
                    the tiles.

                    > Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
                    > blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
                    > in computer equipment, there is another open source project
                    > called VIPS:
                    > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
                    >
                    > It runs on Windoz and it can open and do basic processing
                    > of very large image files on low spec machines. I've used it
                    > on a couple of gigapixel panos I did and it worked fine
                    > on my Celeron 2GHz, 768MB RAM system. The image file was
                    > around 3GB.
                    >
                    > VIPS can be used from the command line or through NIP, its GUI.
                    > Not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either, especially
                    > if Photoshop refuses to open those large files.

                    VIPS is a great tool for anyone working with huge image datasets... very
                    neat app, with a good little community of very technical people supporting
                    it.

                    > By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
                    > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333
                    >
                    > It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
                    > the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
                    > in Zoomify.

                    Awesome!

                    -Rh

                    Note: This message is intended solely for consumption on
                    PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com and any distribution elsewhere is
                    unauthorized.
                  • Michael Hansky
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                      > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                      > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

                      Thought this project was fallen alseep.....

                      I have also such a IIP Server, a old MGI ZoomImageServer

                      You can also take wrapped panoramas for zooming:

                      http://www.zooming.de/demo/mainau/Palmenhaus_fpx.htm

                      for flat images you can take a look at my homepage: www.inxs-media.de
                      (go to menu "Zoom Images")

                      Roger, you still use it ?

                      Michael Hansky
                    • Rick Drew
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                        I actually purchased the full version of Zoomify. I had a client that
                        wanted his customers to zoom in and view individual components in his
                        studio. By the time I was done shooting his control console, the file was
                        over 1.5 gig. Impossible to use without Zoomify. You could actually zoom in
                        to individual dials! After paying for the job, he changed the equipment! I
                        kept part of the image though for demo use.

                        I have several different samples at http://www.add360.com/zoomable/

                        Rick Drew

                      • Bjørn K Nilssen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                          On 2 Oct 2006 at 17:07, Bruno Postle wrote:

                          > On Sun 01-Oct-2006 at 09:23 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for testing. Do you know of any other viewers for large
                          > > images, similar to Zoomify? Although it seems to work ok it's
                          > > always nice to know the alternatives..
                          >
                          > I quite like the CSS/javascript viewer Øyvind Kolås uses, though
                          > this does load the whole image into memory:

                          Nice, but not as smooth, fast and versatile as Zoomify maybe?
                          Thanks for the tip :)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                            On 2 Oct 2006 at 17:00, Yiorgos Teo wrote:

                            > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                            > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
                            >
                            > The processing is done on the server and the image is
                            > served through either of two clients, one is java the other
                            > is in javascript.
                            >
                            > One drawback I see vs Zoomify is possible load on the server
                            > is there are a lot of requests. I say this not having any idea
                            > what kind of load it imposes on the server.

                            Thanks for the tip. I tested the demos, and the world map never showed up when I zoomed
                            into it. Te others worked, but not as fast as Zoomify. Besides I may have problems
                            installing the server at my web hotel I guess?
                            But maybe if I get some big clients with their own server?

                            > Also, for those who like to do gigapixel panos and are not
                            > blessed with pockets deep enough for the latest and greatest
                            > in computer equipment, there is another open source project
                            > called VIPS:
                            > http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS

                            Interesting. I dl'ed it and will test it. I usually don't have problems opening files in
                            PS, but sometimes in AcDSee, which I also use for some simple image adjustments.

                            > By the way, you can see the gigapixel pano I did here:
                            > http://www.hellas.net/index.php?entry=entry060312-114333
                            >
                            > It's a view of the city of Athens taken from Mt. Lycabetus
                            > the tallest point in the city (I think). Displayed
                            > in Zoomify.

                            Very nice :)
                            But where are all the people? I looked around, but couldn't find a single person on any
                            of all those roof tops? I guess I didn't check all of them... ;)

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2006
                              On 2 Oct 2006 at 19:34, Michael Hansky wrote:

                              > > There is an open source project IIPimage:
                              > > http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
                              > >

                              > Thought this project was fallen alseep.....
                              >
                              > I have also such a IIP Server, a old MGI ZoomImageServer

                              But then you need full rights on the server? IOW it can't be done on a normal web hotel