Re: [PanoToolsNG] the new sony hx1 ? 360 x 180 possibility?

  • Philipp B. Koch
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2009
      qsecofr88888 schrieb:
      > hi:
      > have you guys seen the new sony hx1.
      > they have a new panorama feature that the user just needs to move the camera from left to right and the camera will capture and stitch the images automatically.
      First, this is not a DSLR, so one would have to make some compromise
      with image quality. But besides that, it looks interesting. From what I
      read at the Sony website, it allows to make images with a 60:9-ratio at
      7152 x 1080 px. It does it by shooting fast series of images (10
      pictures per second) while moving the camera, and later stitching these
      images automatically in-camera. But no word on parallax, so one would
      still need a nodal adapter (unless Sony can overcome physics :-)

      > if the camera itself can mount a third part fish eye lens or sth... perhaps we can use it to produce a 360 x 180 image with ease?
      Even if one could mount some fisheye adapter in front of it, and even if
      the quality was OK (since it will never be comparable to a DSLR with a
      real fisheye lens), I doubt the camera software could handle those
      fisheye shots for automatic stitching. The camera has a
      non-interchangeable lens, thus the software uses a given lens setup.
      Handling fisheye distorsion for stitching would require different
      algorithms than dealing with the camera's normal rectilinear lenses.

      Please correct me if I'm wrong..

      Regards, Philipp