Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Question Re: place .swf in .pdf

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 32 , May 16, 2009
      Well, nobody really knows. I'm just spouting off. It's a fun topic
      for converstation.

      But big business really doesn't like convergence. They like to have
      unique products that forces you to buy their stuff. And they like
      to give lip service to "Standards" while at the same time tucking a
      few extra "features" into their product to make it "better".

      Panos are going mainstream. They have to. More information in the
      same place as a static picture. Sort of like the transition from B&W
      to Color. It will be interesting. 3D is next up...

      Roger Howard wrote:
      > On Wed, 13 May 2009 19:23:23 -0700, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >>IMHO I don't think so. Adobe is too powerful a force and it has
      >>a superb engineering staff. Apple and Google also have superb
      >
      > engineering
      >
      >>staffs but the three different staffs are focused on entirely different
      >>areas. Why should Google and/or Apple duplicate Adobe's efforts when
      >
      > Adobe
      >
      >>will always be one step ahead.
      >

      > I don't think they are as different as they seem - I think things are
      > converging, at least between Flash and the browser; a few years ago the
      > idea of building a single application and compiling it to both SWF and
      > HTML+JavaScript was a pipedream; right now we're not far from it at all,
      > with the major advances in the Javascript compilers in the browser (thanks
      > to Apple, Mozilla and Google), the renewed effort to improve the multimedia
      > aspects of HTML, etc.
      >
      > OpenLaszlo hinted at this years ago, offering cross-compilation of OL
      > projects between Flash and DHTML with some limitations (on the DHTML side).
      > I expect we'll see enough convergence - in the platform capbilities of the
      > browser and in performance (which we're seeing now) that it'll mainly be a
      > business question, not an engineering question... in other words, does
      > Adobe value the SWF format more, or does it value its tools business more?
      > I suspect they'll, eventually, decide the latter, maintaining SWF but
      > allowing cross-compiling to HTML.
      >
      > -R

    • Ken Warner
      Message 32 of 32 , May 16, 2009