Hugin knew better than I did!

  • Leonard Evens
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2009
      I have been struggling with merging two 4 x 5 images taken with a
      panoramic head, one turned 15 degrees to the left, and the other turned
      15 degrees to the right. I also used a vertical rise in my view camera.
      The problem was that whatever I tried, hugin insisted on showing the
      building with the bottom not parallel to the top. I finally went back
      and checked carefully. Hugin was actually showing me just what was
      there.

      I was assuming the ground was perfectly level. It certainly looked that
      way, and I assumed it was a safe assumption in this area just north of
      Chicago, close to Lake Michigan. But checking with a level and looking
      carefully at the building showed me that there was in fact a significant
      rise from right to left at ground level. The height to the roof, which
      presumably is level, may be as much as 2 feet shorter on the left than
      on the right.

      --
      Leonard Evens <len@...>
      Mathematics Department, Northwestern University