Pano2QTVR confusion

  • smarfingerfeulcher
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006
      I'm using Pano2QTVR version 1.2.10 with the professional license. I
      have one ongoing problem: When doing spherical panos I am able to
      execute the sides well in PTGUI, but have never been able to get
      Zenith and Nadir images to work worth a hoot in this program. My
      strategy has been to install the top and bottom in tiff tiles made
      with Pano2QTVR. That done, I reconvert back to the original image,
      which is now complete.

      The problem is that no matter what size I start with, the write back
      cannot exceed about 7800x 3900. If I go back to an original size of,
      say, 12000x6000 I get a computer file labeled a tiff which I cannot
      open in photoshop or irfanview. the message i get from pscs2 is that
      there isn't enough memory; every other program I've tried says that
      the file type is not supported.

      I'm using a windows XP pro machine with a Pentium processor
      (Goldmine????) and 2 megs of ram. Zone Alarm and McAfee....

      What I know about computers could fit on the head of a pin in 72 point
      type.

      Pano talks about pano12 version 2.8.4,,,I seem to have accumulated 15
      versions pano12, some of which are limited to 160 degrees over patent
      concerns, others are liberated to 1000 degrees. Is this a factor?

      Any guidance would be much appreciated, particularly in simple terms
      with a minimum of computerspeak....

      And by the way, why would I want Pano2QTVR with flash? Is Quictime passe?

      Sorry for the length of this post!
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "smarfingerfeulcher" <rmlcd@...>
        wrote:

        > The problem is that no matter what size I start with, the write back
        > cannot exceed about 7800x 3900. If I go back to an original size of,
        > say, 12000x6000 I get a computer file labeled a tiff which I cannot
        > open in photoshop or irfanview.

        I'm using Pano2QTVR V1.2.7 (free version) and I was able to generate a
        12000x6000 file that could be opened with Photoshop CS2 ok. My
        pan12.dll is V2.8.0. There have long been problems with Pano Tools and
        large files - both tiff and psd. CS2 has helped with some of these.
        However, one solution to your problems would be to use PTGui to insert
        the edited tile(s) back into the original equirectangular file.
        PTGui's own stitcher can handle large files quite happily. Output a
        layered PSD file.

        John
      • smarfingerfeulcher
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
          > However, one solution to your problems would be to use PTGui to insert
          > the edited tile(s) back into the original equirectangular file.
          > PTGui's own stitcher can handle large files quite happily. Output a
          > layered PSD file.
          >
          > John

          Would you be so kind as to go into this in a bit greater depth?
          Layered PSD is what I use, so that's not a point of confusion.....

          I don't get how the tile is reinserted or where in the process....
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
            wrote:

            > Would you be so kind as to go into this in a bit greater depth?
            > Layered PSD is what I use, so that's not a point of confusion.....
            >
            > I don't get how the tile is reinserted or where in the process....

            You create a new PTGui project and add the original equirectangular
            image and the edited nadir tile, for example.

            On the Lens Settings tab, specify lens type equirectangular and fov 360.

            Select individual lens parameters for the nadir image. Go to the Image
            Parameters tab and select lens type Rectilinear and fov 90. Set pitch
            to -90 degrees.

            Set the oputput image projection to equirectangular, fov 360 and set
            the image size to be the same as the input image. Generate the psd
            layered file and flatten in Photoshop to give the merged file.

            John