Re: Broken Nodal Ninja SPH-2L. Parts to buy or sell?

  • stevenkan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "stevenkan" <steven@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Steven Kan <steven@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > With my older model NN and my D70s + 10.5mm Nikkor, I couldn't rotate
      > > > fully 90 degrees up because the "bulge" at the base of the vertical
      > > > arm interferes with the knob*. So I took it to work, put it on the
      > > > milling machine, and machined off the bulge :)
      > [snip]
      > > However I just wonder why you could not do a full +90.
      > > The 10.5 only has a distance of 80mm on the NN3 and I can not imagine that your older model can be much different in size.
      > >
      > > However from you image I get the idea that you actually mount the camera in the wrong direction. You camera mount should of course be on the right side. Other wise the right side of the camera with the battery chamber will rotate downwards and you get much closer to the rotator.
      >
      > Hans,
      >
      > I feel very stupid right now :(
      >
      > I just examined the wreckage of my NN2, and I see that somehow it was assembled
      > incorrectly. The camera was mounted correctly, but the pitch rotator was on the wrong
      > side of the vertical arm. In the original linked photo, there was a bulge (which I now
      > understand was a structural feature!) on the far side of the vertical arm, as viewed in the > photo. The camera mounting knob was interfering with it when I attempted to point the > camera straight up.

      Now I'm actually not so sure I had it backwards! I just saw this photo of the same model NN, posted by Bill Bailey (who works for NN):

      http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php?topic=30.0

      His setup also has the "bulge" on the camera side of the vertical arm. And it looks like he used the off-axis camera bracket to move the mounting knob inward so it wouldn't interfere with the bulge.

      Anyway, this is all somewhat of a moot point at the moment, since my NN3 MkII arrived yesterday. I definitely like the new panning rotator--much, much smoother and more precise than that of the NN2.

      And there's no bulge, so it rotates fully upward with my D70s+10.5mm Nikkor.

      NN included one of their new QR brackets as well. It works, but the locking lever is a bit difficult to maneuver next to my camera. I may have to fiddle with it a bit more to see if I'm working it correctly.

      Back to my original question, does anyone have SPH-2L parts that they want to sell, _or_ does anyone want to buy the rest of mine?