Re: [PanoToolsNG] 5DmkII + Zenitar 16 + NN3

  • Blake Michaelson
    Message 1 of 20 , May 10, 2009
      Just got the 5DmkII a couple days ago - haven't really had a chance to play
      with it too much - but really impressed with the first few images...

      The Zenitar is really a great lens, very sharp at f11 or f16, but required
      multirow stitching on the 20D that I just replaced. With the 5DmkII and the
      full frame sensor, I can shoot 6 around at -15° and get a maximum size of
      about 16004 x 8002 (just looking at a 6+1 project file in PTGui).
      Unbelieveable jump in quality from the 20D/Peleng 8mm combo I was using. (I
      actually purchased the D300 and Nikor 10.5 - but ended up returning them and
      getting the 5DmkII and using my old Zenitar - personally I'm more impressed
      with the 5DmkII/Zenitar combo, but will miss the deep-AEB of the D300). BTW
      - with the Zenitar you'll need to tweak the lens parameters in PTGui - or
      you'll be wondering if you rail settings are messing with your stitching
      (ergo my initial post!)

      Also upgraded to the RD-8 rotator from the original MK1 rotator - makes the
      NN3 an entirely more professional piece of gear - took it from a "really
      neat toy" to a "very capable tool".

      FWIW - on the NN3 with the camera plate - upper rail 73mm, lower rail 57mm -
      but I'm still just dialing things in.

      On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

      > Blake.
      >
      > I'm about to buy that combo.
      >
      > What are the maximum dimensions of your Equirectangulars?
      >
      > Do you like your Zenitar 16?
      >
      > I'm using the Sigma 8mm 3.5 on 1.6x sensors.
      >
      > TIA
      >
      > Chris Thomas
      >
      > Photographer
      >
      > cell... 604-649-5352
      >
      > (Vancouver)
      >
      > In North America
      >
      > 1-800-870-5110
      >
      > <http://www.christhomas.com/> http://www.christhomas.com

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 20 , May 10, 2009
        On Mon, 11 May 2009 00:53:53 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

        > Roger D. Williams wrote:
        >
        >> I see two entrieis for Sigma 8mm f/4 with differenet measurements
        >> quoted.
        >> Could one of these be a typo for f/3.5?
        >
        > Hopefully someone who owns the lens can clarify.
        >
        >> Also I note that the number of shots needed for 360-degree coverage is
        >> quoted at four (90 degrees apart) for the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye. I don't
        >> think this is possible. I would say 6 at 60 degrees.
        >
        > Most likely this should go for the full frame use. I've corrected it but
        > this too should be confirmed by an owner.

        I must confess to being Wiki-challenged, Erik. I can certainly confirm
        that six around are needed for the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye using a 1.5x
        factor lens--this is from personal experience.

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
      • Jeffrey Martin
        Message 3 of 20 , May 11, 2009
          zenitar 16 is great.

          maybe the best value of any lens in the world, along with the canon 50mm 1.8

          you can pay 5-20x more for a contax f-distagon t* 16mm, but for
          now i'm happy with my zenitar.
          didn't try it on 5d mk2 yet but on the 5d, it's great.

          Jeffrey Martin

          tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
          http://twitter.com/360cities

          Re: 5DmkII + Zenitar 16 + NN3
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/29022;_ylc=X3oDMTJzZGtqdjhzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyOTAyMgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjQyMDU1NTMy>
          Posted
          by: "Chris Thomas" chris@...
          <chris@...?Subject=+Re%3A%205DmkII%20%2B%20Zenitar%2016%20%2B%20NN3>
          photomasc
          <http://profiles.yahoo.com/photomasc> Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm (PDT)

          Blake.

          I'm about to buy that combo.

          What are the maximum dimensions of your Equirectangulars?

          Do you like your Zenitar 16?

        • Luca N Vascon
          Message 4 of 20 , May 11, 2009
            Zenitar can be one of the best 16mm around if properly cleaned and set up.
            Multicoating is efficent also.
            15mm Sigma EX, also, really surprised me, with really high resolution
            and contrast.

            Jeffrey Martin ha scritto:

            > zenitar 16 is great.
            >
            > maybe the best value of any lens in the world, along with the canon
            > 50mm 1.8
            >
            > you can pay 5-20x more for a contax f-distagon t* 16mm, but for
            > now i'm happy with my zenitar.
            > didn't try it on 5d mk2 yet but on the 5d, it's great.
            >
            > Jeffrey Martin
            >
            > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
            > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
            > http://twitter.com/360cities <http://twitter.com/360cities>
            >
            > Re: 5DmkII + Zenitar 16 + NN3
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/29022;_ylc=X3oDMTJzZGtqdjhzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyOTAyMgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjQyMDU1NTMy
            > Posted
            > by: "Chris Thomas" chris@... <mailto:chris%40christhomas.com>
            > <chris@...
            > <mailto:chris%40christhomas.com>?Subject=+Re%3A%205DmkII%20%2B%20Zenitar%2016%20%2B%20NN3>
            > photomasc
            > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/photomasc
            > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/photomasc>> Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm (PDT)
            >
            > Blake.
            >
            > I'm about to buy that combo.
            >
            > What are the maximum dimensions of your Equirectangulars?
            >
            > Do you like your Zenitar 16?

          • Rodolpho Pajuaba
            Message 5 of 20 , May 11, 2009
              I found out, as a very curious person, that the image circle of the
              Zenitar has enough coverage (after shaving the sunshade) to be used
              with a MFDB, specifically my Leaf Aptus 65, 28Mpx, 33X44mm area; for
              my eye evaluation it's probably more than 180 degrees. Whenever I
              manage the time and the supplies I'll make an adaptation to use this
              combo, let's see what happens!!
              Regards,
              Rodolpho Pajuaba

              2009/5/11 Luca N Vascon <vascon@...>:
              > Zenitar can be one of the best 16mm around if properly cleaned and set up.
              > Multicoating is efficent also.
              > 15mm Sigma EX, also, really surprised me, with really high resolution
              > and contrast.

            • Blake Michaelson
              Message 6 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                It's been a while since I first received and tweaked my Z16, but I'm pretty
                sure that you can just remove the sunshade with a few screws... I don't
                believe there is a need to shave it...

                Message 7 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                  Chris Thomas wrote:

                  > What are the maximum dimensions of your Equirectangulars?

                  -> http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution

                  Actually my Zenitar optimizes to 17.2mm focal length which gives almost
                  exactly 16,000x8,000

                  best regards
                • Blake Michaelson
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                    Erik - how are you setting up PTGui to handle the Z16 - it seems to default
                    to a 50mm focal length for me...

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                      Blake Michaelson wrote:

                      > Erik - how are you setting up PTGui to handle the Z16 - it seems to default
                      > to a 50mm focal length for me...

                      The lens is not recorded in EXIF data, since the camera has no
                      information about the attached lens. Simply ignore EXIF data and input
                      the values manually, use the PTGui lens database or a template.

                      best regards
                    • Chris Thomas
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                        Thanks Blake and Jeffrey.

                        I have a 360 Precision Adjust to put it on.. Which I'm very happy with.. by
                        the way.

                        Chris Thomas

                        Photographer

                        cell... 604-649-5352

                        (Vancouver)

                        In North America

                        1-800-870-5110

                        maybe the best value of any lens in the world, along with the canon 50mm 1.8

                        you can pay 5-20x more for a contax f-distagon t* 16mm, but for
                        now i'm happy with my zenitar.
                        didn't try it on 5d mk2 yet but on the 5d, it's great.

                        Jeffrey Martin

                        tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin /
                        http://twitter. <http://twitter.com/360cities> com/360cities

                        Re: 5DmkII + Zenitar 16 + NN3
                        <http://groups.
                        by: "Chris Thomas" chris@christhomas. <mailto:chris%40christhomas.com> com
                        <http://profiles. <http://profiles.yahoo.com/photomasc> yahoo.com/photomasc>
                        Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm (PDT)

                        Blake.

                        I'm about to buy that combo.

                        What are the maximum dimensions of your Equirectangulars?

                        Do you like your Zenitar 16?

                        snip

                      • Chris Thomas
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                          Thanks Erik….

                          That’s sweet!

                          I’m getting less than ½ that, with a Sigma 8mm 3.5 on 1.6 sensor!

                          Chris Thomas

                          Photographer

                          cell... 604-649-5352

                          (Vancouver)

                          In North America

                          1-800-870-5110

                          -> http://wiki. <http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution>
                          panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution

                          Actually my Zenitar optimizes to 17.2mm focal length which gives almost
                          exactly 16,000x8,000

                          best regards
                          http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de> krause.de

                          snip

                          .

                          d=29055/stime=1242067326/nc1=4025373/nc2=3848640/nc3=5579901>

                        • Luca N Vascon
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                            Removing shade is really easy...
                            Yes, slightly more than 180 degrees...
                            http://panopticus.altervista.org/fishlist/cloudcameras/mycloud.htm
                            :-P
                            We are not the first in doing that!!!

                            Rodolpho Pajuaba ha scritto:

                            > I found out, as a very curious person, that the image circle of the
                            > Zenitar has enough coverage (after shaving the sunshade) to be used
                            > with a MFDB, specifically my Leaf Aptus 65, 28Mpx, 33X44mm area; for
                            > my eye evaluation it's probably more than 180 degrees. Whenever I
                            > manage the time and the supplies I'll make an adaptation to use this
                            > combo, let's see what happens!!
                            > Regards,
                            > Rodolpho Pajuaba
                            >
                            > 2009/5/11 Luca N Vascon <vascon@... <mailto:vascon%40iuav.it>>:
                            > > Zenitar can be one of the best 16mm around if properly cleaned and
                            > set up.
                            > > Multicoating is efficent also.
                            > > 15mm Sigma EX, also, really surprised me, with really high resolution
                            > > and contrast.

                          • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                              Niiiiiice!!!! Unfortunately, I think I screwed up my Zenitar, I tried
                              to unscrew the piece of aluminium around the front element but all I
                              got was a piece of metal; maybe they glued the screw, and I'm stronger
                              than I think ;-) . Anyway, the use of a LF shutter is a good idea,
                              I'll use it. Thanks, Luca!!
                              Regards,
                              Rodolpho Pajuaba