Flash Panorama Player for Product Distribution?

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2009
      It was suggested that I look at FPP and XML for distributing my
      panoramic work on CD.

      However, most of my panoramas are cylindrical. Does this not preclude
      the use of FPP?

      Also, if FPP costs 39 pounds, is there a free player that you can
      distribute with your product?

      Thanks.

      Paul Fretheim
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2009
        On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

        > It was suggested that I look at FPP and XML for distributing my
        > panoramic work on CD.

        by Hans Nyberg

        > However, most of my panoramas are cylindrical. Does this not preclude
        > the use of FPP?

        NO, you can use FPP to show cylindricals too !

        > Also, if FPP costs 39 pounds, is there a free player that you can
        > distribute with your product?

        this nothing to do ... FPP NEEDS that the Flash Player, created by Adobe be
        updated in the user's machine.

        All Panoramas players need that (from the Adobe)

        best
        AYRTON

        > Thanks.
        >
        > Paul Fretheim

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

          > It was suggested that I look at FPP and XML for distributing my
          > panoramic work on CD.
          >
          > However, most of my panoramas are cylindrical. Does this not preclude
          > the use of FPP?
          >
          > Also, if FPP costs 39 pounds, is there a free player that you can
          > distribute with your product?

          Cylindric panoramas has to be converted to spherical projection if you want them to be perfect with FPP.
          There is a plugin which is called a cylindric converter but it is actually for a cropped spherical panorama. It converts the image to cubefaces but unfortunatelly it does not convert the cylindric projection to spherical first which means that horizontal lines at top and bottom will be distorted. It may not be that important for nature panoramas with just a small FOV around 60-70

          Pano2VR which you use now is also only using cubefaces, If you use a cylindric panorama as source it is converted to cubefaces for both QTVR and the swf with automatic limit of the FOV to not show the black areas.
          Pano2VR is actually converting cylindric panoramas correctly but if you use a cropped spherical you will get distortions. Unfortunatelly there is also no way to set this correctly manually and the only way to make a correct cropped spherical is to ad black canvas to make it equirectangular.
          There is no way for a software to automatically detect if a panorama uses spherical or cylindric projection unless it is full 180 degree vertical FOV and is in the 1/2 proportion.

          Regarding the price of the FPP it is the cheapest of all flash viewers as there is no restriction on how you distribute it.

          The free player you talk about is Adobe Flash player and if you use it as a projector made from the standalone player for showing FPP or any other flash viewer you can distribute it for free without any license from Adobe.

          hans