Re: [PanoToolsNG] Virtual Earth and Photosynth in major integration by Microsoft

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2009
      Hello Bradford,

      bohonus wrote:

      > "Microsoft owns and may use without restriction the calculations and
      > analyses that it creates as a result of processing your materials and may
      > continuing using the same, even after you remove your materials from the
      > service."
      >
      > Which means they now own the 3D "point cloud" generated from your synth
      > now and forever to essentially do with what they want.
      My postings on the MS message board did ring some alarm bells and I got
      another personal answer from a high ranked MS headman that they always will
      respect the copyrights of the owners of the images.

      Because I always tagged my images as fully copyrighted I am not concerned
      about them, what they own is the 3D "point cloud" that's a bunch of
      coordinates that are generated in a 3D space representing the position of
      the visible elements in the images, the point cloud is needed to present the
      images properly in the viewer (similar like a xml file is needed by some
      players).
      Perhaps there is a commercial value in the point cloud that but I don't
      think so (but I could be wrong).

      Best,
      Wim