Re: [PanoToolsNG] Best lens for hi res pano with 5D

  • dtonnes
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
      On a side note, have you seen a comparison between the 24mm 2.8 and the 24mm
      3.5 TSE? I'm considering this lens for architectural shots and wonder if it
      could do double duty creating higher-res panos, similar to what you're
      indending to do?

      What bracket will you use? Mr. Fink's Pinnacle VR bracket looks like a good
      option.
    • JD Smith
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
        On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:23:48 +0000, erik leeman wrote:

        > I just uploaded the first test image.
        >
        > Canon EOS 5D + EF 24mm f/2.8
        >
        > WARNING: the full-sized (2400x6000 pixels)image file is 6.10MB
        >
        > 100% crops of 20 landscape-orientation 12.8MP images.
        > Uppermost 300 pixels vertical,
        > 800 pixels horizontal left, center and right.
        >
        > One row for every f-stop from f/2.8 to f22 (and f/2.8 again)
        >
        > RAW-files converted with RAW Shooter P 2006 to 16-bit TIFF,
        > no sharpening or any other correction, color temp set at 5500K.
        >
        > Cropped and pasted in PS CS2, no sharpening or any other correction.
        > Flattened, converted to 8-bit colordepth, and saved as Q12 .jpg
        >
        > http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/255750791/

        At left is also the perfect demonstration of how dust on the sensor
        appears as a function of f/#! In this case, it starts to get noticeable
        around f/5.
      • Juergen Schrader
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
          Hm, hm.
          The verdict from photozone.de says:

          The Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L is something of a mixed bag. The lens is
          surely able to provide a decent performance in all important
          characteristics but that's without delivering anything stellar ...
          which is something you may expect from a lens in this price class.
          The most fascinating aspects are naturally the tilt-shift functions
          and if this is a requirement for you there're simply no alternatives
          in this focal length class. If you're just looking for high-
          performance 24mm lens there'll be better alternatives out there.

          Cheers
          J├╝rgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, dtonnes <dave@...> wrote:

          > On a side note, have you seen a comparison between the 24mm 2.8 and
          the 24mm
          > 3.5 TSE? I'm considering this lens for architectural shots and
          wonder if it
          > could do double duty creating higher-res panos, similar to what
          you're
          > indending to do?
          >
          > What bracket will you use? Mr. Fink's Pinnacle VR bracket looks
          like a good
          > option.

        • Juergen Schrader
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
            Thank you very much, Erik.

            As I told you: 100% views on the screen unfold it all :)
            It seems the right part looks like nothing I would want to use in
            those hi end pictures.

            Tomorrow I will try and find a smilar subject fo a comparison shot.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <jolanenerik@...>
            wrote:

            > I just uploaded the first test image.
            >
            > Canon EOS 5D + EF 24mm f/2.8
            >
            > WARNING: the full-sized (2400x6000 pixels)image file is 6.10MB
            >
            > 100% crops of 20 landscape-orientation 12.8MP images.
            > Uppermost 300 pixels vertical,
            > 800 pixels horizontal left, center and right.
            >
            > One row for every f-stop from f/2.8 to f22 (and f/2.8 again)
            >
            > RAW-files converted with RAW Shooter P 2006 to 16-bit TIFF,
            > no sharpening or any other correction, color temp set at 5500K.
            >
            > Cropped and pasted in PS CS2, no sharpening or any other correction.
            > Flattened, converted to 8-bit colordepth, and saved as Q12 .jpg
            >
            > http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/255750791/

          • erik leeman
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 30, 2006
              For those who would like to see the difference in field of view with
              the same 24mm lens and the effect of the difference in pixeldensity
              between the 5D and 20D, I have combined some testshots here:

              http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/256326347/

              and

              http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/256355139/

              Maybe this is of use to some of you.