Virtual Earth and Photosynth in major integration by Microsoft

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2009
    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2009
        Hello,

        As a complementary platform to panoramas PhotoSynth is great and I recommend
        everyone to try it out.
        Although I am a happy Synther it is just this piece of text in the article
        of the link that need some thoughts:

        " .. will give website owners the ability to place Photosynth applications
        into their own embedded maps, using either their own imagery or drawing from
        existing photos in the Photosynth library.."

        So anybody can embed the work of another person that is stocked in the
        Photosynth library.
        If you like the idea then go for the default protection setting of your
        stuff but otherwise I think you should change the setting to a full
        copyright protection, I assume (but I can be wrong because I am not a legal
        expert) that when the sharing options are changed to full full copyright
        protection that by law embedding in other websites is not legal. If I am
        wrong I really like to know.

        By default your stuff is set to "Creative Commons - Attribution" but you
        can change the setting to "© All rights reserved". You can change the
        setting in the Upload window of the "Create Synth" application.

        You can also set the visibility of your stuff to "Public" or "Unlisted",
        with the last option people can only see your stuff when you sent them a
        link. By default it is set to "Public".

        For obvious reasons the folks of MS wants us to use there default settings
        otherwise there model for sharing stuff (and making profits) will not
        work.....

        Best,
        Wim

        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2009
          Quoting Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>:

          > By default your stuff is set to "Creative Commons - Attribution" but you
          > can change the setting to "© All rights reserved". You can change the
          > setting in the Upload window of the "Create Synth" application.

          I think if you engage in these community projects then you should expect the
          copyright to be creative commons or some such.
          regards

          mick

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2009
            Hello Mick,

            crane-2 wrote:

            > I think if you engage in these community projects then you should expect
            > the
            > copyright to be creative commons or some such.

            That is true and I fully agree.
            The issue is that PhotoSynth started as a community project not aimed to
            business purposes but now they changed there policy to make it possible that
            commercial organizations are hooking on (or should I say lurking from) the
            community Library.

            When I joined the community making business with PhotoSynth was not possible
            and so was hiding your content, that all makes sense for an open and
            non-commercial community but from now on this is changed.
            I don't like it when business organizations (other then the one I own ;-)
            are making profits from my work, and unless they make there members
            shareholders to spit the profits I never join such platforms.

            So for me now is the time to decide what I do with my PhotoSynth content.

            Wim
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2009
              Quoting Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>:

              > Hello Mick,
              >

              > crane-2 wrote:
              > >
              > > I think if you engage in these community projects then you should expect
              > > the
              > > copyright to be creative commons or some such.
              >
              > That is true and I fully agree.
              > The issue is that PhotoSynth started as a community project not aimed to
              > business purposes but now they changed there policy to make it possible that
              > commercial organizations are hooking on (or should I say lurking from) the
              > community Library.
              >
              > When I joined the community making business with PhotoSynth was not possible
              > and so was hiding your content, that all makes sense for an open and
              > non-commercial community but from now on this is changed.

              Ah ok. point taken.

              regards

              mick

            • Carel
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                Jeffrey Martin-3 wrote:

                > http://www.travolution.co.uk/articles/2009/05/07/2508/virtual-earth-and-photosynth-in-major-integration-by-microsoft.html
                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

                http://techdirt.com/articles/20090508/0212134792.shtml This article seems
                to suggest it will be more difficult in the future for online services to
                change their terms mid-course.

                Carel

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                  Hello Carel,

                  Carel wrote:

                  > http://techdirt.com/articles/20090508/0212134792.shtml This article
                  > seems to suggest it will be more difficult in the future for online
                  > services to change their terms mid-course.

                  That is good news for the public and bad news for online companies with
                  restricting "small characters".

                  After I thought about it a while I decided to remove my PhotoSynth content
                  (over 50 Synths with each at least 20 to 100 pictures).

                  I informed the people of PhotoSynth about it on there newsboard:
                  http://tinyurl.com/pqe6m3

                  Within a very short time I got a personal answer from the head of the
                  engineering department, it only convinced me that I made the right
                  decision....

                  Best,
                  Wim

                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                    On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

                    > Hello Carel,
                    > After I thought about it a while I decided to remove my PhotoSynth content
                    > ... Within a very short time I got a personal answer from the head of the
                    > engineering department, it only convinced me that I made the right
                    > decision....

                    Wim

                    coming from microsoft nothing can be good.
                    You made the right decision for sure.

                    best
                    AYRTON

                    > Best,
                    > Wim

                    ------------
                    | A Y R |
                    | T O N |
                  • bohonus
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                      > After I thought about it a while I decided to remove my PhotoSynth content
                      > (over 50 Synths with each at least 20 to 100 pictures).

                      Too late, according to Section 6 of their TOS-

                      "Microsoft owns and may use without restriction the calculations and analyses that it creates as a result of processing your materials and may continuing using the same, even after you remove your materials from the service."

                      Which means they now own the 3D "point cloud" generated from your synth now and forever to essentially do with what they want.
                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                        On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:

                        > Too late, according to Section 6 of their TOS-
                        >
                        > "Microsoft owns and may use without restriction the calculations and
                        > analyses that it creates as a result of processing your materials and may
                        > continuing using the same, even after you remove your materials from the
                        > service."

                        Typical from a trash company like microsoft :-(

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                          Hello Bradford,

                          bohonus wrote:

                          > "Microsoft owns and may use without restriction the calculations and
                          > analyses that it creates as a result of processing your materials and may
                          > continuing using the same, even after you remove your materials from the
                          > service."
                          >
                          > Which means they now own the 3D "point cloud" generated from your synth
                          > now and forever to essentially do with what they want.
                          My postings on the MS message board did ring some alarm bells and I got
                          another personal answer from a high ranked MS headman that they always will
                          respect the copyrights of the owners of the images.

                          Because I always tagged my images as fully copyrighted I am not concerned
                          about them, what they own is the 3D "point cloud" that's a bunch of
                          coordinates that are generated in a 3D space representing the position of
                          the visible elements in the images, the point cloud is needed to present the
                          images properly in the viewer (similar like a xml file is needed by some
                          players).
                          Perhaps there is a commercial value in the point cloud that but I don't
                          think so (but I could be wrong).

                          Best,
                          Wim