Flash Player Installer

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4 2:22 PM
      After another couple of hours with Adobe's good people in India I was
      finally connected with a guy in the Philippines who didn't get lost in
      the fog as soon as I started talking about file extensions like .swf and
      in a matter of a couple of minutes the installer issue was solved. The
      current publicly distributed version of the Flash Player installer does
      not install the Flash Player, it only installs the browser plug-ins.

      Perhaps they should change the name from "Flash Player Installer" to
      something else since it does not install the Flash Player.

      The knowledgeable guy in the Philippines was not sure if there is a
      license to distribute the Flash Player installer that actually installs
      the Flash Player, so I still have to research that, but the installers
      themselves are available at:

      http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

      Where you will find all the archived installers. The Flash 10 download
      includes installers for all platforms supported.

      I'll post again when I find out if you can get licensed or not for
      distributing the free standing Flash Player, which is an important
      consideration if you are creating product distributed on optical media
      like a DVD-R.

      Paul Fretheim
    • Fernando Costa Pinto
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5 8:21 AM
        Very good Paul ,

        It is a really important thing you found out !
        As so the Cd instead of DVD will be the solution and is really universal .

        Many thanks

        Fernando

        By the way dear group I never had publicized any work here before .
        Please take a look in some views from this region of Brazil , Salvador , in
        Bahia.
        This is not my work alone ..is a team work . Me , Mark Dayves and Everton
        Marco.
        I hope you like.
        http://www.imagem360.net/imagens/bahiatour/Ribeira.html

        On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

        > After another couple of hours with Adobe's good people in India I was
        > finally connected with a guy in the Philippines who didn't get lost in
        > the fog as soon as I started talking about file extensions like .swf and
        > in a matter of a couple of minutes the installer issue was solved. The
        > current publicly distributed version of the Flash Player installer does
        > not install the Flash Player, it only installs the browser plug-ins.
        >
        > Perhaps they should change the name from "Flash Player Installer" to
        > something else since it does not install the Flash Player.
        >
        > The knowledgeable guy in the Philippines was not sure if there is a
        > license to distribute the Flash Player installer that actually installs
        > the Flash Player, so I still have to research that, but the installers
        > themselves are available at:
        >
        > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html
        >
        > Where you will find all the archived installers. The Flash 10 download
        > includes installers for all platforms supported.
        >
        > I'll post again when I find out if you can get licensed or not for
        > distributing the free standing Flash Player, which is an important
        > consideration if you are creating product distributed on optical media
        > like a DVD-R.
        >
        > Paul Fretheim

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 23 , May 5 8:39 AM
          SORRY guys to disturb the list

          Fernando I need to talk to you in pvt !!!pls send me your phone so I can
          call you

          é sobre um possível trabalho em Salvador

          abraços
          AYRTON

          On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Fernando Costa Pinto <
          fcp.fernando@...> wrote:

          > Very good Paul ,
          >
          > It is a really important thing you found out !
          > As so the Cd instead of DVD will be the solution and is really universal .
          >
          > Many thanks
          >
          > Fernando
          >
          > By the way dear group I never had publicized any work here before .
          > Please take a look in some views from this region of Brazil , Salvador , in
          > Bahia.
          > This is not my work alone ..is a team work . Me , Mark Dayves and Everton
          > Marco.
          > I hope you like.
          > http://www.imagem360.net/imagens/bahiatour/Ribeira.html
          >

          > On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
          >

          > > After another couple of hours with Adobe's good people in India I was
          > > finally connected with a guy in the Philippines who didn't get lost in
          > > the fog as soon as I started talking about file extensions like .swf and
          > > in a matter of a couple of minutes the installer issue was solved. The
          > > current publicly distributed version of the Flash Player installer does
          > > not install the Flash Player, it only installs the browser plug-ins.
          > >
          > > Perhaps they should change the name from "Flash Player Installer" to
          > > something else since it does not install the Flash Player.
          > >
          > > The knowledgeable guy in the Philippines was not sure if there is a
          > > license to distribute the Flash Player installer that actually installs
          > > the Flash Player, so I still have to research that, but the installers
          > > themselves are available at:
          > >
          > > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html
          > >
          > > Where you will find all the archived installers. The Flash 10 download
          > > includes installers for all platforms supported.
          > >
          > > I'll post again when I find out if you can get licensed or not for
          > > distributing the free standing Flash Player, which is an important
          > > consideration if you are creating product distributed on optical media
          > > like a DVD-R.
          > >
          > > Paul Fretheim

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5 8:53 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

            > After another couple of hours with Adobe's good people in India I was
            > finally connected with a guy in the Philippines who didn't get lost in
            > the fog as soon as I started talking about file extensions like .swf and
            > in a matter of a couple of minutes the installer issue was solved. The
            > current publicly distributed version of the Flash Player installer does
            > not install the Flash Player, it only installs the browser plug-ins.
            >
            > Perhaps they should change the name from "Flash Player Installer" to
            > something else since it does not install the Flash Player.
            >
            > The knowledgeable guy in the Philippines was not sure if there is a
            > license to distribute the Flash Player installer that actually installs
            > the Flash Player, so I still have to research that, but the installers
            > themselves are available at:
            >
            > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html
            >
            > Where you will find all the archived installers. The Flash 10 download
            > includes installers for all platforms supported.
            >
            > I'll post again when I find out if you can get licensed or not for
            > distributing the free standing Flash Player, which is an important
            > consideration if you are creating product distributed on optical media
            > like a DVD-R.

            Paul

            Those installers are exactly the ones you install from the net,
            it is just that each of the packages contain all versions for all browsers and both Mac, Windows and Linux installers.

            I strongly advice you not to use HTML based viewing from CD or DVD.
            People will get security problems which they will not be able to handle.

            There is only one good way doing flash from CD and that is using the projector.
            Note that the installers for the standalone are now called debugger but with a projector it is contained in the projector .exe and .app files so you do not need to put them on the CD.

            For doing HTML Flash from CD you need to bypass the security problems and there are work arounds for this.
            The best one is called Server2Go
            http://www.articulate.com/blog/how-to-bypass-flash-security-attachment-download-issues-in-cd-playback/

            I do not believe there is a reason to include flash installers for that.
            98% already have flash and 96% has Flash 9 or 10 already.

            Its not like Quicktime were you did need to include an installer.

            Hans
          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 23 , May 5 10:25 AM
              Quoting Fernando Costa Pinto <fcp.fernando@...>:

              > By the way dear group I never had publicized any work here before .
              > Please take a look in some views from this region of Brazil , Salvador , in
              > Bahia.
              > This is not my work alone ..is a team work . Me , Mark Dayves and Everton
              > Marco.
              > I hope you like.
              > http://www.imagem360.net/imagens/bahiatour/Ribeira.html

              I like a lot, makes me feel happy, what do you sharpen with ?
              also these 360 things have more impact I think if you can get real close to the
              subject.
              regards

              mick

            • Roger Howard
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5 11:28 AM
                On Mon, 04 May 2009 14:22:59 -0700, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
                > After another couple of hours with Adobe's good people in India I was
                > finally connected with a guy in the Philippines who didn't get lost in
                > the fog as soon as I started talking about file extensions like .swf and
                > in a matter of a couple of minutes the installer issue was solved. The
                > current publicly distributed version of the Flash Player installer does
                > not install the Flash Player, it only installs the browser plug-ins.
                >
                > Perhaps they should change the name from "Flash Player Installer" to
                > something else since it does not install the Flash Player.

                Just a note - the Flash browser plugin is called "Flash Player" - what you
                were looking for is the Standalone Player.

                The standard Player installer has only EVER installed the plugin version;
                most people never see or get the standalone version, which is normally
                installed with the Flash authoring tools (they don't make it easy to find a
                downloadable version on purpose). It's never been part of the general
                public installer they push to people who simply want to view Flash content.

                Glad you got it all cleared up,

                Roger
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5 11:45 AM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

                  > On Mon, 04 May 2009 14:22:59 -0700, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
                  > > After another couple of hours with Adobe's good people in India I was
                  > > finally connected with a guy in the Philippines who didn't get lost in
                  > > the fog as soon as I started talking about file extensions like .swf and
                  > > in a matter of a couple of minutes the installer issue was solved. The
                  > > current publicly distributed version of the Flash Player installer does
                  > > not install the Flash Player, it only installs the browser plug-ins.
                  > >
                  > > Perhaps they should change the name from "Flash Player Installer" to
                  > > something else since it does not install the Flash Player.
                  >

                  > Just a note - the Flash browser plugin is called "Flash Player" - what you
                  > were looking for is the Standalone Player.
                  >
                  > The standard Player installer has only EVER installed the plugin version;
                  > most people never see or get the standalone version, which is normally
                  > installed with the Flash authoring tools (they don't make it easy to find a
                  > downloadable version on purpose). It's never been part of the general
                  > public installer they push to people who simply want to view Flash content.

                  And there are also reasons for this. The standalone player is also a debugger.
                  At least on Mac there used to be one caled Stand Alone Flash Player.
                  Not any more. Now they call it a Debugger.
                  That means small errors in parameters which do not really affect the performance will give you a popup at opening a flash file.

                  This players are only supposed to be used by developers. They are not at all for normal users.

                  I just discovered that the last Flash 10 version now gives me an error message for one of my tours. The one before opens the same tour without any errors.

                  To produce a working Projector I would need to fix this problem or just use the earlier version to export it.

                  Hans
                • Fernando Costa Pinto
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5 12:05 PM
                    Hi Mick,

                    Thank you .

                    I use photoshop .

                    Fernando

                    On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:25 PM, <crane@...> wrote:

                    > Quoting Fernando Costa Pinto <fcp.fernando@...<fcp.fernando%40gmail.com>
                    > >:
                    >
                    > > By the way dear group I never had publicized any work here before .
                    > > Please take a look in some views from this region of Brazil , Salvador ,
                    > in
                    > > Bahia.
                    > > This is not my work alone ..is a team work . Me , Mark Dayves and Everton
                    > > Marco.
                    > > I hope you like.
                    > > http://www.imagem360.net/imagens/bahiatour/Ribeira.html
                    >
                    > I like a lot, makes me feel happy, what do you sharpen with ?
                    > also these 360 things have more impact I think if you can get real close to
                    > the
                    > subject.
                    > regards
                    >
                    > mick

                  • Bjørn K Nilssen
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5 12:22 PM
                      On 5 May 2009 at 18:45, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                      > To produce a working Projector I would need to fix this problem or just use the
                      > earlier version to export it.

                      How do you produce such a projector (Win) ?
                      Do you need some special (Flash) software?
                      And how do you make a linked Flash tour with projectors?

                    • Paul Fretheim
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5 12:29 PM
                        I agree with Hans that the security issues with HTML distribution on CD
                        make that an undesirable option. If I use projectors it will increase
                        the size by a factor of 4, because I will have to include two sets, one
                        for Mac and one for Windows. And each projector doubles (roughly) the
                        size of the pano file. One thing I dont' like is the gray icon instead
                        of the nice red Flash icon, so I will have to distribute on DVD-R. I
                        guess trying it is the only way to find out if people have DVD-R read
                        capability or not.

                        Does anyone have a suggestion on automating the process of creating the
                        projectors? It will take a long time to make the several hundred I need
                        manually.

                        Paul Fretheim
                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 5 12:56 PM
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                          > I agree with Hans that the security issues with HTML distribution on CD
                          > make that an undesirable option. If I use projectors it will increase
                          > the size by a factor of 4, because I will have to include two sets, one
                          > for Mac and one for Windows. And each projector doubles (roughly) the
                          > size of the pano file. One thing I dont' like is the gray icon instead
                          > of the nice red Flash icon, so I will have to distribute on DVD-R. I
                          > guess trying it is the only way to find out if people have DVD-R read
                          > capability or not.
                          >
                          > Does anyone have a suggestion on automating the process of creating the
                          > projectors? It will take a long time to make the several hundred I need
                          > manually.

                          Forget about doing it this way.
                          Use FPP with XML linking to all your panos and you just need one single Projector file.

                          In reality I guess you can do the same with Pano2VR flash if you create virtual tours with grouped panoramas. As I said it all depends on how you want to link them all together with text.

                          Take for example this museum tour. This one only needs 2 projector executable files.
                          One for Mac and one for Windows. 14 panoramas in all 84 mb
                          http://gl-estrup.360-foto.dk/

                          Hans
                        • Roger Howard
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 5 1:24 PM
                            On Tue, 05 May 2009 18:45:16 -0000, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                            > And there are also reasons for this. The standalone player is also a
                            > debugger.
                            > At least on Mac there used to be one caled Stand Alone Flash Player.
                            > Not any more. Now they call it a Debugger.

                            Well, there's two different concepts here:

                            1. The standalone player; it's an executable application, not a plugin for
                            browers;
                            2. The debug player; this is a special version of the player which provides
                            developers with more information to help in debugging bad Flash
                            applications.

                            I'm not sure if there's a "Standalone Debugger" version - there could be -
                            but standalone and debugging are *not* the same thing.

                            I use the debug version of Flash 10 Player on my Macbook Pro as I do Flex
                            development at home; it drives me a bit nuts to surf the web in that
                            browser :)
                          • Roger Howard
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 5 1:28 PM
                              On Tue, 05 May 2009 19:56:55 -0000, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

                              > Forget about doing it this way.

                              Agree 100% with Hans.

                              > Use FPP with XML linking to all your panos and you just need one single
                              > Projector file.

                              I don't use FPP myself, so that could be a great option... another would be
                              to create a Flash shell - a simple Flash project, perhaps a menu or splash
                              screen, which handles loading the other SWFs. Then you only have to make
                              the single projector, just like Hans other suggestion.

                              Either way, don't make hundreds of projectors... make a single projector
                              which loads the content off disk as needed.

                              I also agree with Hans, backing up a bit, to forget about using HTML on
                              CD/DVD as the interactive shell - seriously, it'll end up breaking
                              somewhere - if not with Flash's local security restrictions, then something
                              else.
                            • Hans Nyberg
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 5 1:54 PM
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

                                > On Tue, 05 May 2009 18:45:16 -0000, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > And there are also reasons for this. The standalone player is also a
                                > > debugger.
                                > > At least on Mac there used to be one caled Stand Alone Flash Player.
                                > > Not any more. Now they call it a Debugger.
                                >
                                > Well, there's two different concepts here:
                                >
                                > 1. The standalone player; it's an executable application, not a plugin for
                                > browers;
                                > 2. The debug player; this is a special version of the player which provides
                                > developers with more information to help in debugging bad Flash
                                > applications.
                                >
                                > I'm not sure if there's a "Standalone Debugger" version - there could be -
                                > but standalone and debugging are *not* the same thing.

                                Well it seems they are now hiding it all in one download under Update for Flash CS4 Professional.
                                Very stupid.
                                http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

                                This is the one which contains both the Standalone Player and the Debug version
                                Download the Adobe Flash Player 10 Update for Windows and Macintosh (ZIP, 44 MB)
                                http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flash_player_update2_flash10.zip

                                If you scroll down on the page to Flash 9 you find one called
                                Adobe Flash Player 9 — Standalone Players (Projectors) for Macintosh

                                Hans
                              • Sacha Griffin
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 5 4:24 PM
                                  Yah very bizarre. I don't think I could have stumbled upon it if I didn't
                                  already know how hidden it was.

                                  To recap the method,

                                  name.xml name.swf

                                  open your downloaded Flashplayer

                                  open your swf and your tour should play.

                                  If it's good save your projector as an exe and you're done, with the
                                  exception of the autorun bits.

                                  The file structure doesn't matter at this stage, just the name of the
                                  swf/xml file should match when creating the projector as the resultant
                                  %name%.exe will look for %name%.xml when launched.

                                  I did get my ver 10 to work using this method, though it's the same method
                                  you need for any version.

                                  Sacha Griffin

                                  Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                  http://www.southern-digital.com

                                  http://www.seeit360.net

                                  GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                                  404-551-4275

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 6 6:06 AM
                                    Hans wrote:

                                    > Forget about doing it this way.
                                    > Use FPP with XML linking to all your panos and you just need one
                                    > single Projector file.
                                    Where can I learn to do what you suggest?

                                    Also, Adobe specifically has as its policy to NOT license distribution
                                    of the free standing player.

                                    Paul Fretheim
                                  • Roger Howard
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 6 7:40 AM
                                      On Wed, 06 May 2009 06:06:49 -0700, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
                                      > Hans wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Forget about doing it this way.
                                      >> Use FPP with XML linking to all your panos and you just need one
                                      >> single Projector file.
                                      > Where can I learn to do what you suggest?
                                      >
                                      > Also, Adobe specifically has as its policy to NOT license distribution
                                      > of the free standing player.

                                      Indeed - but you can distribute projectors made from it.
                                    • Trevor White
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 7 12:12 AM
                                        Paul

                                        Have you thought about distributing your tours on usb drive instead
                                        of CD/DVD. They would cost a little more and need some packaging but
                                        as they would be re-usable or dual purpose as storage it may be
                                        attractive to buyers.
                                        Also how about pre-loading portable Firefox with everything including
                                        the Flash Plug-in ready to go. I have not yet done this so there may
                                        well be licensing issues of either Flash or Firefox to overcome.

                                        Cheers
                                        Trevor.
                                      • Hans Nyberg
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 7 3:43 AM
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trevor White <trevor.pvr@...> wrote:

                                          > Paul
                                          >
                                          > Have you thought about distributing your tours on usb drive instead
                                          > of CD/DVD. They would cost a little more and need some packaging but
                                          > as they would be re-usable or dual purpose as storage it may be
                                          > attractive to buyers.
                                          > Also how about pre-loading portable Firefox with everything including
                                          > the Flash Plug-in ready to go. I have not yet done this so there may
                                          > well be licensing issues of either Flash or Firefox to overcome.

                                          Sorry Trevor but this does not help.

                                          The security restrictions for flash in browser affects everything which is not loaded from the net.
                                          That includes CD, DVD, any type of USB, Firewire or even from your standard hard disc.

                                          When you want to see your flash tour locally you may have to go to Adobe and allow the browser to use flash from your own computer, usually you set a partition or folder as allowed.

                                          http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

                                          Hans
                                        • Jim Bechtel
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 7 6:54 AM
                                            RU familiar with Director? Using it you should be able to be build a standard stage so to speak that will play your flash movie using a projector.. You could then just change flash movies. Director also may work out better for you from a distribution standpoint. It is better suited to auto run cross platform and it would enable you to involve the viewer in some pre-movie interactions.. Flash is a great asset .. at times when teamed with director it gets better if it works for you.

                                            jimbo

                                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                                            > I agree with Hans that the security issues with HTML distribution on CD
                                            > make that an undesirable option. If I use projectors it will increase
                                            > the size by a factor of 4, because I will have to include two sets, one
                                            > for Mac and one for Windows. And each projector doubles (roughly) the
                                            > size of the pano file. One thing I dont' like is the gray icon instead
                                            > of the nice red Flash icon, so I will have to distribute on DVD-R. I
                                            > guess trying it is the only way to find out if people have DVD-R read
                                            > capability or not.
                                            >
                                            > Does anyone have a suggestion on automating the process of creating the
                                            > projectors? It will take a long time to make the several hundred I need
                                            > manually.
                                            >
                                            > Paul Fretheim

                                          • Paul Fretheim
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 7 2:42 PM
                                              What does everybody think about using Director? I have Director 11 and
                                              use it to create my kiosk self running demos. The trouble may be that I
                                              am using pdf versions of the USGS topographic maps as index to the
                                              panoramas. PDF format makes the best sense for the maps. PDFs are
                                              clumsy, at best when imported into Director. I could make a good
                                              interface with Director, but would not be the best way to distribute the
                                              maps, which are a major selling point of my products.

                                              Paul Fretheim
                                            • mrjimbo
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 7 4:49 PM
                                                Paul,
                                                I'm used to using Director but actually not with Pano's.. But I have been using it to distruibute flash content and other various items on CD's and DVD's and on my end I like it over trying to distribute using just flash.. If we wait another year or so Director will live in the Flash software I think and Director will be gone but it's not there as yet. A Pano can be delivered in Flash.. no issue with that. But for a stand alone distributable .. putting a Flash workup in Director works very well so I'll choose Director.. especially since Flash can be a part integral part of Director to a degree now. The original post, as I recall, was abou distributing many differnet movies without reinventing the universe.. I still feel that if yourt doing say 100 movies or whatever .. Building an interface with Director an dthen dropping in the flash content isn;'t a bad way to go...Maybe I'm missing the boat.. I'm just looking at making an interface such that folks do what you want then to do.. THat portion is consistant to all movie content.. Don't know maybe I'm missing something..

                                                jimbo

                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 8 12:27 AM
                                                  Hello,

                                                  I'm using Director since several year to create CD-ROMs containing a lot of Quicktime panoramas and objects. The results are stable and work good also on hybrid CD-ROMs (PC and MAC).

                                                  Michael Pook