Re: Best lens for hi res pano with 5D

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 28, 2006
      >I must say I am more interested
      >in the Fuji S3/S5 approach (and now the D80's) to increasing dynamic
      >range than I am in going to a full-sized sensor.

      I agree, that this is very tempting ;)
      When I had swapped my Oly stuff for Canons I was surprised about the
      noise when pushing the RAWs two stops up. With Oly (E-300, loved that
      body) absolutely no problem, with the 30D I get too much noise :(

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
      wrote:

      > On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:06:02 +0900, Juergen Schrader
      > <panorama@...> wrote:
      >
      > > We already know that the 5D is excellent for prints and also
      > > excellent for any usual sort of web-QTVR.
      > >
      > > But as I have told (and already know), a pano of 16.384 in full
      > > screen will unfold the real quality (or shortcomings) of a setup.
      >
      > I have only recently moved up to 10,000 x 5,000 pixel images from
      > my D200 x Nikon 10.5mm, and I am very pleased with the enhancement
      > over film + Peleng. So I am still way behind you there. I now have
      > a Tamron 11 - 18mm zoom, and apart from CA (which is readily
      > curable) it looks as if I could produce some very good high res.
      > panoramas with the zoom at 11mm. The FOV is considerably less than
      > the 10.5mm fisheye, of course.
      >
      > > I remember from the exhibition thread that there are some people
      who
      > > also did these large sizes. If they were done with a 5D I'd love
      > > see a sample.
      >
      > Me too. Looking forward to seeing more of this thread.
      >
      > Having no investment in Canon lenses, I must say I am more
      interested
      > in the Fuji S3/S5 approach (and now the D80's) to increasing dynamic
      > range than I am in going to a full-sized sensor.
      >
      > Roger W.
      >

      > --
      > Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/
      mail/

    • erik leeman
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
        Hi again!

        I've done two series of test shots, one with the 5D+EF24-f/2.8 and one
        identical series with the 20D+ditto.
        Rawshooter is converting the RAW-files as I type this, and of course I
        need some time to cut-and-paste all of it into a useful format.
        As soon as I've uploaded the results to my Flickr-account I'll let you
        know, OK?

        The object was a grey but textured concrete wall, at a distance of
        approximately 16.5 meters. The cameras were both on Av, and I took a
        shot with every single F-stop from f/2.8 to f/22 with both of them.
        All shooting was done from a carefully levelled tripod, using a remote
        shutter release and mirror lockup.

        As a (somewhat embarrassing) added bonus the visibility of sensordirt
        as a funtion of aperture is nicely demonstrated as well :)

        Erik Leeman
      • Juergen Schrader
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
          Thanks for your engagement Erik.
          For me a single shot at f8 out of the window would have done :)

          Tot ziens
          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <jolanenerik@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi again!
          >
          > I've done two series of test shots, one with the 5D+EF24-f/2.8 and
          one
          > identical series with the 20D+ditto.
          > Rawshooter is converting the RAW-files as I type this, and of
          course I
          > need some time to cut-and-paste all of it into a useful format.
          > As soon as I've uploaded the results to my Flickr-account I'll let
          you
          > know, OK?
          >
          > The object was a grey but textured concrete wall, at a distance of
          > approximately 16.5 meters. The cameras were both on Av, and I took
          > shot with every single F-stop from f/2.8 to f/22 with both of them.
          > All shooting was done from a carefully levelled tripod, using a
          remote
          > shutter release and mirror lockup.
          >
          > As a (somewhat embarrassing) added bonus the visibility of
          sensordirt
          > as a funtion of aperture is nicely demonstrated as well :)
          >
          > Erik Leeman

        • erik leeman
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
            I just uploaded the first test image.

            Canon EOS 5D + EF 24mm f/2.8

            WARNING: the full-sized (2400x6000 pixels)image file is 6.10MB

            100% crops of 20 landscape-orientation 12.8MP images.
            Uppermost 300 pixels vertical,
            800 pixels horizontal left, center and right.

            One row for every f-stop from f/2.8 to f22 (and f/2.8 again)

            RAW-files converted with RAW Shooter P 2006 to 16-bit TIFF,
            no sharpening or any other correction, color temp set at 5500K.

            Cropped and pasted in PS CS2, no sharpening or any other correction.
            Flattened, converted to 8-bit colordepth, and saved as Q12 .jpg

            http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/255750791/
          • dtonnes
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
              On a side note, have you seen a comparison between the 24mm 2.8 and the 24mm
              3.5 TSE? I'm considering this lens for architectural shots and wonder if it
              could do double duty creating higher-res panos, similar to what you're
              indending to do?

              What bracket will you use? Mr. Fink's Pinnacle VR bracket looks like a good
              option.
            • JD Smith
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
                On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:23:48 +0000, erik leeman wrote:

                > I just uploaded the first test image.
                >
                > Canon EOS 5D + EF 24mm f/2.8
                >
                > WARNING: the full-sized (2400x6000 pixels)image file is 6.10MB
                >
                > 100% crops of 20 landscape-orientation 12.8MP images.
                > Uppermost 300 pixels vertical,
                > 800 pixels horizontal left, center and right.
                >
                > One row for every f-stop from f/2.8 to f22 (and f/2.8 again)
                >
                > RAW-files converted with RAW Shooter P 2006 to 16-bit TIFF,
                > no sharpening or any other correction, color temp set at 5500K.
                >
                > Cropped and pasted in PS CS2, no sharpening or any other correction.
                > Flattened, converted to 8-bit colordepth, and saved as Q12 .jpg
                >
                > http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/255750791/

                At left is also the perfect demonstration of how dust on the sensor
                appears as a function of f/#! In this case, it starts to get noticeable
                around f/5.
              • Juergen Schrader
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
                  Hm, hm.
                  The verdict from photozone.de says:

                  The Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L is something of a mixed bag. The lens is
                  surely able to provide a decent performance in all important
                  characteristics but that's without delivering anything stellar ...
                  which is something you may expect from a lens in this price class.
                  The most fascinating aspects are naturally the tilt-shift functions
                  and if this is a requirement for you there're simply no alternatives
                  in this focal length class. If you're just looking for high-
                  performance 24mm lens there'll be better alternatives out there.

                  Cheers
                  Jürgen

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, dtonnes <dave@...> wrote:

                  > On a side note, have you seen a comparison between the 24mm 2.8 and
                  the 24mm
                  > 3.5 TSE? I'm considering this lens for architectural shots and
                  wonder if it
                  > could do double duty creating higher-res panos, similar to what
                  you're
                  > indending to do?
                  >
                  > What bracket will you use? Mr. Fink's Pinnacle VR bracket looks
                  like a good
                  > option.

                • Juergen Schrader
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 29, 2006
                    Thank you very much, Erik.

                    As I told you: 100% views on the screen unfold it all :)
                    It seems the right part looks like nothing I would want to use in
                    those hi end pictures.

                    Tomorrow I will try and find a smilar subject fo a comparison shot.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 30, 2006
                      For those who would like to see the difference in field of view with
                      the same 24mm lens and the effect of the difference in pixeldensity
                      between the 5D and 20D, I have combined some testshots here:

                      http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/256326347/

                      and

                      http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/256355139/

                      Maybe this is of use to some of you.