[PanoToolsNG] Doubts about 360x180 degree 3D pano created from HD video

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2009
      Hello,

      I have used StereoPhotoMaker with some success to create a normal 360x180
      degree panorama but after some fidling with the app I doubt it is possible
      to use it for the creation of a 360x180 degree 3D stereo panorama.

      I am sure David Sykes can do it much better then I but to make it clear why
      I have doubts I must give a short explanation how StereoPhotoMaker creates a
      3D image (if I make a mistake I hope David will correct me where needed).

      The application StereoPhotoMaker makes a clever use of the parallax that is
      present in each video image frame when the video is shot with a lens that is
      positioned out of NPP.
      The app works like this, it takes a strip from the left side of a video
      image frame and connects this strip with a strip taken out the left side of
      the next frame, etc.
      The result is one large image made from a long sequence of strips that are
      taken out of the left side of each frame.
      The app also creates a second image that is made from vertical strips that
      are taken out the right part of the video image frames. I will not go deeper
      into the method but because there is a shift between both images the
      creation of a 3D image is possible.

      Unfortunately I experience big problems when using HD video image frames
      shot with a fisheye lens (Tokina 10-17@12mm) for creating a 3D panorama.

      The reason is obvious, in the uncorrected video image frame all straight
      lines are bended except for the lines that are going through the optical
      image center. Because the strips are taken from a part outside the center
      all vertical lines are bended (and in opposite directions.
      Therefore the creation of a 3D panorama made from a fisheye video without
      extra processing of the image frames isn't possible and that is a big bummer
      :-(

      Of course it is possible, and not difficult, to de-fish all video image
      frames prior to the processing of StereoPhotoMaker but then the result is a
      3D panorama with a VFOV with much less then 180 degree (it is possible to
      de-fish to approx. 140 degree but for viewing the max. is 90-100 degree).
      A second but not appealing option is to de-fish the image frames in multiple
      rectangular tiles but I doubt if it will be possible to successfully combine
      them with StereoPhotoMaker.
      A third option is to process the video frames with PTGui and output the
      frames as trimmed equirectangulars for processing in StereoPhotoMaker but
      the idea of processing so may frames is also not appealing.

      So unless there is a clever mind out there with a solution how to work
      around the problem with an easy to use method I am stuck with my idea to use
      a single fish eye HD video for the creation of a 360x180 degree 3D panorama

      BTW, it must be a easy procedure otherwise a fisheye HD video is not a good
      alternative for a dual camera setup.

      Thanks for reading,

      Wim

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2009
        Couldn't you fish a frame of desired vertical video location, and use that
        as a capture mask on fished video, and defish this fished video back into
        your desired vertical video?

        You'd have to alter the capture software to capture this fished region
        however.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

        404-551-4275

        I have used StereoPhotoMaker with some success to create a normal 360x180
        degree panorama but after some fidling with the app I doubt it is possible
        to use it for the creation of a 360x180 degree 3D stereo panorama.

        I am sure David Sykes can do it much better then I but to make it clear why
        I have doubts I must give a short explanation how StereoPhotoMaker creates a
        3D image (if I make a mistake I hope David will correct me where needed).

        .

        d=28866/stime=1241437975/nc1=4025304/nc2=3848642/nc3=5658247>

      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2009
          Hello Sacha,

          That's a nice suggestion, thanks for your input.

          One of the issues is that my main video app QTPro isn't capable of defishing so I need another app, like PTGui, to do the defish job.
          I just defished the video frames of a full 360 video (316 frames) and the job takes approx. 20 minutes on my machine (MacBookPro running OSX10.5), 20 minutes of waiting is a big obstacle in the workflow.

          A mask to defish a specific part of the image frame could speed up the defish process but isn't an option because I need the full frame to have the ability to change the place in the frame where the strips are taken out, this place isn't fixed and can vary depending the stereo window that is needed and vary with the distance between nearby objects in the scene to the lens.

          Wim

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Wim Koornneef" <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:
            > I just defished the video frames of a full 360 video (316 frames)

            I made a typo, I didn't defish the images, but converted them from circular fisheye (frame 1080x1920px) to small equirectangulars (frame 978x1834px).
            Altough it took a long time all bended vertical lines are now straight :-)

            Wim
          • David Sykes
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2009
              Wim Koornneef wrote:

              > I am sure David Sykes can do it much better

              Not really, I have only done it a few times and not with a fisheye.

              > I doubt if it will be possible to successfully combine
              > them with StereoPhotoMaker.

              The images have to be reasonably free of distortion.

              So far, I am happy to settle for cylindrical stereo panoramas.

              I am too lazy to try spherical ones.

              David
            • Matthias Wassermann
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2009
                Sorry, bei breit und layout3 haben wir einen einzug von 63 mm re/li.
                Da gibt es keinen Unterschied mehr!
                Am 04.05.2009 um 17:53 schrieb David Sykes:

                Wim Koornneef wrote:

                > I am sure David Sykes can do it much better

                Not really, I have only done it a few times and not with a fisheye.

                > I doubt if it will be possible to successfully combine
                > them with StereoPhotoMaker.

                The images have to be reasonably free of distortion.

                So far, I am happy to settle for cylindrical stereo panoramas.

                I am too lazy to try spherical ones.

                David

              • ahoeben41
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2009
                  > One of the issues is that my main video app QTPro isn't capable
                  > of defishing so I need another app, like PTGui, to do the defish
                  > job.

                  It should not be too difficult to write a CoreImage kernel ('pixel shader' in non-apple terms) so you can defish (or as you said later, convert it to equirectangular) in realtime. I don't have any time this week, but could look in to it sometime next week. Do you have any 1080p material online I can play with?
                • Wim Koornneef
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2009
                    Hello Aldo,

                    Thanks for your offer to write a CoreImage kernel, if it can be integrated
                    with QTPlayerPro then indeed realtime converting should be possible. I will
                    contact you off-forum for the video.

                    Success,

                    Wim