Re: The VR Summit Cancellation

  • Scott Highton
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006

      > Did any of the attendees or presenters ever get any explanation of
      > what happened with the Summit?

      Hi all,

      While I was not involved at all in the VR Summit this year, I did phone Dennis Biela earlier
      this week about his cancellation/postponement, as I was getting queries about it through
      my Virtual Reality Photography web site: http://www.vrphotography.com

      Dennis told me that due to the terrorist threat in London a couple of months ago, two of
      his major corporate sponsors dropped their plans for any European travel for the
      forseeable future. With the withdrawal of these two sponsors, Dennis said he could not
      afford to hold the Summit. (Note that IPIX is also listed as a sponsor, and they went out of
      business in the meantime.) However, he added that all his deposits on the hotel and other
      travel arrangements are still in place, and that he still plans to convene the Summit,
      perhaps in a more limited form, in the near future.

      Dennis said he sent an e-mail to all participants explaining this several weeks ago, but
      apparently nobody received it. He said he'd send a follow-up message to everyone soon.
      He added that he has arranged credits against future registration/tuition to some of those
      who have been in touch with him.

      Again, I am not involved in any way with the 2006 VR Summit in Lisbon, so I have no
      information other than that which Dennis shared with me when I called him earlier in the
      week.

      For those who want or need to be in touch directly, Dennis should be reachable by e-mail
      at: dbiela@...

      Good luck to everyone, and I hope this works out. I've been a speaker and participant at
      two of the previous Summits, and they have been a wonderful gathering place for VR
      authors and photographers.

      Regards,

      Scott Highton
      Author, Virtual Reality Photography