Re: [PanoToolsNG] A first attempt to create a 360x180 degree panorama from HD video

  • RobLee
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2009
      where is it shot. It looks familiar.

      --- On Sun, 5/3/09, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:
      From: Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>
      Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] A first attempt to create a 360x180 degree panorama from HD video
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 6:18 AM

      Hello,

      For comparison with the sliced version I also created a stitched pano from 4

      video image frames, each 90 degrees apart,

      When you put both versions side by side in a separate (resized) browser

      window they are very easy to compare.

      This is the stitched pano,

      http://www.dmmdh nl/panos/ video_panorama_ 02052009/ stitched_ video_panorama. html

      And this is the sliced one,

      http://www.dmmdh nl/panos/ video_panorama_ 02052009/ video_panorama. html

      The differences between the sliced and the stitched version are very visible

      and obviously the image quality of the stitched version is much better.

      The jagged lines are gone, the brightness is more equal, the star in zenith

      and the lines coming from zenith are gone and the person that was passing by

      and sliced is removed from the scene, all without any post editing of the

      PTGui output.

      Two different methods each with its own strong and weak points,

      stitching/blending/ optimizing gives much better results but with slicing it

      is possible to handle a lot of images in a relatively short time and only

      with slicing it is possible to create 3D stereo images from a single series

      of image frames.

      BTW, the little differences in the size of the footprint between both

      versions is caused by some post processing of the equirectangular of the

      sliced output.

      I hope you like the comparison.

      Wim

    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 17 , May 3, 2009
        RobLee wrote:

        > where is it shot. It looks familiar.

        The video is shot in Utrecht and I am sure Frank can tell the exact
        location.

        Wim

      • David Sykes
        Message 3 of 17 , May 3, 2009
          Wim Koornneef wrote:

          > For comparison with the sliced version

          In SPM did you use the Auto Colour Adjustment to blend the image strips ?

          Why was auto-exposure used for image capture, does movie mode not support locked exposure ?

          David
        • bigwade
          Message 4 of 17 , May 3, 2009
            http://tinyurl.com/cuk4j2

            Wim Koornneef wrote:

            > RobLee wrote:
            >>
            >> where is it shot. It looks familiar.
            >
            > The video is shot in Utrecht and I am sure Frank can tell the exact
            > location.
            >
            > Wim

          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 17 , May 3, 2009
              Hello David,

              David Sykes-3 wrote:

              > In SPM did you use the Auto Colour Adjustment to blend the image strips ?

              I guess the image strips are a little to small (13px width) to make a good
              color adjustment possible so I didn't try this option but I could be wrong.
              I know it is possible in SPM to set the position of the strip for making
              stereo panoramas but I couldn't figure out how to set the width of the strip
              for a normal (not stereo) panorama and that is why I sliced the image frames
              in Photoshop.
              If there is an option in SPM to slice the images for a normal panorama then
              I am sure that there is enough image data for a perfect Auto Colour
              Adjustment.

              David Sykes-3 wrote:

              > Why was auto-exposure used for image capture, does movie mode not support
              > locked exposure ?

              I have no idea if it is possible to lock the exposure, I am not familiar
              with the EOS 5DMKII, Frank shot the video so perhaps he can answer this
              question, if not perhaps another group member can tell if exposure locking
              is possible for the camera.

              BTW, I also like to know if it is possible to set the amount of sharpening
              and the compressing quality of the video.

              Wim

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 17 , May 3, 2009
                Yup there's an exposure lock in video mode.

                <-*->

                Sacha Griffin

                Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                http://www.southern-digital.com

                http://www.seeit360.net

                GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                404-551-4275

                Message 7 of 17 , May 3, 2009
                  Hello Sascha,

                  That's good news, Frank confirmed it and he will shoot some more videos
                  (shot in offset NPP position) that I will use for creating a 360x180 degree
                  3D panorama.
                  If all goes well I will post the results later.
                  I expect this can take some time so when "later" is I can't tell right now.

                  Wim