Re: [PanoToolsNG] A first attempt to create a 360x180 degree panorama from HD video

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2009
      On Sun, 03 May 2009 05:54:38 +0900, Wim Koornneef
      <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

      > With the help of Frank van Dam (video footage) and Peter Murphy (advice)
      > I managed to create a 360x180 degree panorama from a HD video.
      >
      > The HD video was shot on a EOS 5D MKII camera in portrait position,
      > shaved
      > Tokina 10-17@12mm lens in NPP position and a Seitz VR drive with a
      > rotation speed of approx.1 rpm.

      > The video mov was processed in QT Pro, rotated 90 degree and exported as
      > HQ JPEG images.

      > I selected 316 images that together formed a 360 degree rotation and in
      > Photoshop I sharpened the images a lot, I applied a curve to enhance the
      > brightness and contrast and then trimmed the images to 13 px width to get
      > slices of 1920x13 px.

      > (13=the image shift between each image in the sequence and 1920 px is the
      > largest size of a HD video frame)
      >
      > In the Windows application StereoPhotoMaker I connected the slices
      > (without
      > any remapping/blending/optimizing/etc.) in a couple of seconds, I resized
      > the output to 3840x1920 px in Photoshop and converted the
      > equirectangular to a flash pano with Pano2VR.
      >
      > Short URL:
      > http://tinyurl.com/cmocgy
      >
      > Long URL:
      > http://www.dmmdh.nl/panos/video_panorama_02052009/video_panorama.html
      >
      > As you can see the result isn't so bad for a first attempt. It is clear
      > that the automatic exposure of the camera is making sudden steps andeven
      > with so
      > many slices there are visible jagged lines (not caused by JPEG
      > compression),
      > there is also a person in the scene that was unharmed when passing by in
      > the video but is "sliced" in the panorama and despite the sharpening the
      > image is still not as crisp as it should be.

      > Please keep in mind that this is a first attempt and I am sure in time we
      > will develop the skills needed to create a better video (exposure,
      > sharper, etc) and a better panorama (errors, junctions, etc.).

      I think you have a clearly successful "proof of concept" demonstration!

      > I hope you like the output, for me it is encouraging to explore more of
      > the options of video for creating panoramas and the next step will be to
      > create a panorama from a video shot with the same hardware but with a
      > NPP off set position of the lens (shifted backwards out of NPP) to
      > create a 360x180
      > degree 3D stereo panorama.

      Yes, that is the ne plus ultra! Go for it!

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 17 , May 3, 2009
        Hello,

        For comparison with the sliced version I also created a stitched pano from 4
        video image frames, each 90 degrees apart,

        When you put both versions side by side in a separate (resized) browser
        window they are very easy to compare.

        This is the stitched pano,
        http://www.dmmdh.nl/panos/video_panorama_02052009/stitched_video_panorama.html

        And this is the sliced one,
        http://www.dmmdh.nl/panos/video_panorama_02052009/video_panorama.html

        The differences between the sliced and the stitched version are very visible
        and obviously the image quality of the stitched version is much better.
        The jagged lines are gone, the brightness is more equal, the star in zenith
        and the lines coming from zenith are gone and the person that was passing by
        and sliced is removed from the scene, all without any post editing of the
        PTGui output.

        Two different methods each with its own strong and weak points,
        stitching/blending/optimizing gives much better results but with slicing it
        is possible to handle a lot of images in a relatively short time and only
        with slicing it is possible to create 3D stereo images from a single series
        of image frames.

        BTW, the little differences in the size of the footprint between both
        versions is caused by some post processing of the equirectangular of the
        sliced output.

        I hope you like the comparison.

        Wim

      • RobLee

          Message 4 of 17 , May 3, 2009
            RobLee wrote:

            > where is it shot. It looks familiar.

            The video is shot in Utrecht and I am sure Frank can tell the exact
            location.

            Wim

          • David Sykes
            Message 5 of 17 , May 3, 2009
              Wim Koornneef wrote:

              > For comparison with the sliced version

              In SPM did you use the Auto Colour Adjustment to blend the image strips ?

              Why was auto-exposure used for image capture, does movie mode not support locked exposure ?

              David
            • bigwade
              Message 6 of 17 , May 3, 2009
                http://tinyurl.com/cuk4j2

                Wim Koornneef wrote:

                > RobLee wrote:
                >>
                >> where is it shot. It looks familiar.
                >
                > The video is shot in Utrecht and I am sure Frank can tell the exact
                > location.
                >
                > Wim

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 17 , May 3, 2009
                  Hello David,

                  David Sykes-3 wrote:

                  > In SPM did you use the Auto Colour Adjustment to blend the image strips ?

                  I guess the image strips are a little to small (13px width) to make a good
                  color adjustment possible so I didn't try this option but I could be wrong.
                  I know it is possible in SPM to set the position of the strip for making
                  stereo panoramas but I couldn't figure out how to set the width of the strip
                  for a normal (not stereo) panorama and that is why I sliced the image frames
                  in Photoshop.
                  If there is an option in SPM to slice the images for a normal panorama then
                  I am sure that there is enough image data for a perfect Auto Colour
                  Adjustment.

                  David Sykes-3 wrote:

                  > Why was auto-exposure used for image capture, does movie mode not support
                  > locked exposure ?

                  I have no idea if it is possible to lock the exposure, I am not familiar
                  with the EOS 5DMKII, Frank shot the video so perhaps he can answer this
                  question, if not perhaps another group member can tell if exposure locking
                  is possible for the camera.

                  BTW, I also like to know if it is possible to set the amount of sharpening
                  and the compressing quality of the video.

                  Wim

                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 3, 2009
                    Yup there's an exposure lock in video mode.

                    <-*->

                    Sacha Griffin

                    Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                    http://www.southern-digital.com

                    http://www.seeit360.net

                    GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                    404-551-4275

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 3, 2009
                      Hello Sascha,

                      That's good news, Frank confirmed it and he will shoot some more videos
                      (shot in offset NPP position) that I will use for creating a 360x180 degree
                      3D panorama.
                      If all goes well I will post the results later.
                      I expect this can take some time so when "later" is I can't tell right now.

                      Wim