Re: Stereo-3D Anaglyph Panoramas

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 61 , May 1 12:04 AM
      Hello Roger,

      > You mean you used two different cameras and lenses for the stereo
      > pair? I have two cameras to use with my two different lenses, but
      > thought this would be unusable for stereo panoramas.

      At first I thought this too, people always talk about the need of two equal setups but I had doubt if this was true so I did a test and I found out that it is possible to work with 2 different cameras with different lenses !

      Test it for yourself:

      Take a very sturdy tripod and a precise panohead, take a pano with each camera+lens combination of a static and controlled scene (same light, no movements in the scene etc.) and take more images then usually to get approx. 50% overlap ( I shot 8 images with each camera+lens combination)

      Be absolutely sure that you don't move the tripod when changing cameras and make sure that each camera is mounted in the proper NPP. (I used a NodalNinja5 panohead with stoppers on the swingarm rail and my wife Margriet assisted me to hold the tripod in place).

      Then stitch a totally and carefully optimized pano of each set of source images with the same equirectangular size.
      Put them in Photoshop in layers and make a comparison at 100% pixel level.
      I promise you will be supprised by the small pixel shift between both panos !

      The maximum shift between the panos I noted in my test was just 2 pixels...
      Keep in mind that the left and right pixel shift in the anaglyphs (or the colorcode3D) images is far more then a few pixels and that explains why it is possible to use 2 different cameras with different lenses.

      BTW, the method for using 2 cameras with different lenses is copyright 2009 - Wim Koornneef - dmmdh productions !!

      No just kidding, take your advantage and please feel free use the method :-))

      > Using a bar with two cameras necessarily means that both cannot be
      > revolving about their non-parallax points. Do you find that greatly
      > affects stitching, generating errors in the final panorama?

      Yes, the out of NPP shooting gives a lot of problem when shooting and stitching the "normal" way.
      The solution is to shoot a lot more images then usual, how many "more" depends on the distance to nearby objects.
      When the distance is at least 1.5 meter 25 images for each camera will do but when the distance is less then you have to take much more images. In one of my tests I had to shoot 72 images to avoid errors close to nadir but in this case the ceiling was only 70cm away from the camera....
      In practice I shoot 50 images around and use only 25 of them, when needed (to much errors in one or more seems) I put one or more extra images in the row to solve the error.
      To output the panos as layers is the second best option that I like avoid because it is a hell of a job to retouche errors in 2 panos in such a way that there is no visible trace of it in the 3D output.

      Success,

      Wim
    • Karol Kwiatek
      Message 61 of 61 , May 10 4:38 PM
        Hi,

        Do you have a script for creating stereo-anaglyph panoramas in 3D modelling software (3D studio Max or Maya)?
        Karol