Re: [PanoToolsNG] Stereo-3D Anaglyph Panoramas

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 30, 2009
      Hello Roger,

      I will try to answer your qustions.

      (1) How do you take the stereo panoramas, with two cameras on a bar?
      And a followup question. For scenes with no movement, would it
      be possible to move a single camera along a bar to take the second
      series of images?

      A1) I shot the images with 2 cameras mounted on a bar that is mounted on a
      Seitz VR drive, a Canon 5D+shaved Tokina 10-17@12,4mm and a Canon
      EOS450D+Sigma8 f3.5. The stereobase is approx. 82mm.
      With one camera it only takes more time, and it is a little more difficult
      because you must be very carefull not to move the tripod but is very well
      possible. The advantage of using one camera is the fact that the stereobase
      can be set to a smaller distance so it is possible to shoot closer to
      objects.

      (2) I notice that the stereo effect is perceived by those (like
      myself) who do not yet have the amber/blue stereo glasses as
      purple fringes. I shoot with either a Sigma 8mm or a Nikon 10.5mm
      fisheye, and sometimes I get stubborn purple fringes that are
      nothing to do with stereo vision (!). Would this make it difficult
      for me to get a good stereo effect?

      A2) I always remove CA and fringing in the source images (with Adobe Camera
      Raw) and what is left is not giving any problem in the 3D output.

      (3) Also the dreaded Acrobat 9 bug prevented me from viewing the PDFs
      with detailed information and pricing, etc., in my browser. What do
      they charge for the software to create 3D images?

      A3) There are several ColorCode 3-D applications, the one I use "ColorCode
      3-D Editor 4 PC" costs 69 euro including VAT. There is also a Mac version
      but this app is not suited for large images (I tried it and the helpdesk
      confirmed that is only suited for small images) and therefore I run the PC
      app in Parallels with XP on my MacBookPro.

      Apart from the purple fringeing, I thought that ColorCode 3D images
      were much better than red/cyan analglyphs for people who come
      across them without stereo glasses.

      A4) In theory this is true, in practice it depends on the shift of farpoints
      between the left and right images, when the shift is small then indeed the
      images are, compared to red/cyan anaglyphs, better to look but when the
      shift is large they are just as ugly without a viewer (take a look at the
      stereo base distance comparison at 10 mm and 62 mm and it is clear what I
      mean).

      Success,

      Wim

    • Karol Kwiatek
      Message 61 of 61 , May 10, 2009
        Hi,

        Do you have a script for creating stereo-anaglyph panoramas in 3D modelling software (3D studio Max or Maya)?
        Karol