Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re:VTour (Was:Realtime 3d with 360 equirectangular view)

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
      Bernhard,

      I suggest you try to access the article in the April 25 - May 1
      edition of the British "Ecoomist" magazine with the unlikely
      title "Polyphemus does the hoovering."

      This describes a new image-processing technique using carefully
      optimised routines for deriving 3D positional information from
      moving images. Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping (SLAM) is
      primarly designed to process information from sensors using
      lasers but Dr. Davidson of Imperial College London has applied
      it to digital cameras. He and his colleagues have "recently
      been able to show this new form of SLAM working at 200 frames
      per second on a camera tossed from hand to hand, using just a
      laptop computer to process the images."

      This looks off topic, but the technique uses the very rapid
      identification of congruent features in contiguous video
      frames to trace movements and infer locations, so there is
      a real possibility of the techniques being applicable to the
      processing of panoramas and/or the adjustment of stereo display
      parameters. If you can access it, I'd be interested to hear
      your opinion. If you can't, I have access to the article on
      the Economist website and might be able to obtain the text
      and/or send a link (the latter doubtful as it is largely
      restricted to subscribers).

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com