Re:VTour (Was:Realtime 3d with 360 equirectangular view)

  • ahoeben41
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
      > I agree that SPi-V has become a viewer for specialized tasks. It
      > still offers more than i've ever seen in any panorama viewer
      > (Papervision3D is no panorama viewer).

      Flash is starting to get close though...

      > With RealViz disappearing, is there any possibility left to feed
      > data to SPi-V 3D?

      In theory: yes. VTour exported to .w3d format, and many other 3d packages still export to that format (3d studio max, maya, cinema4d). Having said that, there are some peculiarities in the scenes SPi-V 3d expects. Eg the existence of at least two camera objects, the second of which is the 'interesting' one. Also SPi-V3d removes all lights from the scene and expects all materials to be 'emissive' (ie: not shaded, but a single solid color or 'solid' texture).

      > Do you know if the macromedia engine it recognized
      > by Nvidia's 3D Vision system?

      I don't. I remember I had a pair of stereo glasses with my first Geforce card ('Geforce 256'), but the current incarnation of stereo software from NVidia requires a card newer than what I have so I can not test it out. I would be a little surprised if it 'just works', but it just could ;-)

      Anyway, if you have a project that could use SPi-V3d, and have a budget, I can dive in to the SPi-V3d codebase to make it work with your content...
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
        > > Do you know if the macromedia engine it recognized
        > > by Nvidia's 3D Vision system?
        >
        > I don't. I remember I had a pair of stereo glasses with my first Geforce card ('Geforce 256'), but the current incarnation of stereo software from NVidia requires a card newer than what I have so I can not test it out. I would be a little surprised if it 'just works', but it just could ;-)

        I doubt very much if standard Shockwave3d content would work in stereo with the current nvidia (DirectX) stereo driver. I had no luck with Shockwave3d game content a year ago with the Iz3d stereo driver (which makes almost every fullscreen DirectX game work in some sort of stereo -- anaglyph, shutter glasses, Iz3d screen etc). However Shockwave3d is a good display solution for side by side linked stereo panoramas on a double width desktop -- with the monitor outputs going to twin polarized projectors.

        Peter M
      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
          > I doubt very much if standard Shockwave3d content would work in stereo with the current nvidia (DirectX) stereo driver. I had no luck with Shockwave3d game content a year ago with the Iz3d stereo driver (which makes almost every fullscreen DirectX game work in some sort of stereo -- anaglyph, shutter glasses, Iz3d screen etc). However Shockwave3d is a good display solution for side by side linked stereo panoramas on a double width desktop -- with the monitor outputs going to twin polarized projectors.
          Same here - no stereo with Shockwave.
          I personally find it very inconvinient to watch stereo images side by
          side (my eyes refuse to work that way) but you may also use SPi-V to mix
          the left/right images on the fly for display.

          Bernhard
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
            On Fri, 01 May 2009 07:46:08 +0900, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

            >> I doubt very much if standard Shockwave3d content would work in stereo
            >> with the current nvidia (DirectX) stereo driver. I had no luck with
            >> Shockwave3d game content a year ago with the Iz3d stereo driver (which
            >> makes almost every fullscreen DirectX game work in some sort of stereo
            >> -- anaglyph, shutter glasses, Iz3d screen etc). However Shockwave3d is
            >> a good display solution for side by side linked stereo panoramas on a
            >> double width desktop -- with the monitor outputs going to twin
            >> polarized projectors.

            > Same here - no stereo with Shockwave.

            > I personally find it very inconvinient to watch stereo images side by
            > side (my eyes refuse to work that way) but you may also use SPi-V to mix
            > the left/right images on the fly for display.

            Bernard, I find the one-above-the-other display very convenient for
            watching through periscope type viewers using mirrors. Admittedly these
            are not so good with the increasingly common "wide" displays. Or so I
            thought until I realized that mine had an unused option for rotation
            through 90 degrees for use in portrait-oriented mode. Perfect!

            I will write another note about an article on recent research that may
            be relevant to your latest interest in stereo viewing.

            Roger W.

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
              Bernhard,

              I suggest you try to access the article in the April 25 - May 1
              edition of the British "Ecoomist" magazine with the unlikely
              title "Polyphemus does the hoovering."

              This describes a new image-processing technique using carefully
              optimised routines for deriving 3D positional information from
              moving images. Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping (SLAM) is
              primarly designed to process information from sensors using
              lasers but Dr. Davidson of Imperial College London has applied
              it to digital cameras. He and his colleagues have "recently
              been able to show this new form of SLAM working at 200 frames
              per second on a camera tossed from hand to hand, using just a
              laptop computer to process the images."

              This looks off topic, but the technique uses the very rapid
              identification of congruent features in contiguous video
              frames to trace movements and infer locations, so there is
              a real possibility of the techniques being applicable to the
              processing of panoramas and/or the adjustment of stereo display
              parameters. If you can access it, I'd be interested to hear
              your opinion. If you can't, I have access to the article on
              the Economist website and might be able to obtain the text
              and/or send a link (the latter doubtful as it is largely
              restricted to subscribers).

              Roger W.

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com